• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

I predicted an all LA SuperBowl (LAC/LAR)
    I will have only one LA team (not the good one !)
    Compensation ? A rematch KC/LAR like 2018-19.

Comment

• captaind
      Cook This Pork Chops
      • Jun 2013
      • Mars
      • Ball Holder
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Well, how about this scenario?

The 49ers beat the Rams, which I think is even money in my mind to happen anyway.

Burrow suffers a significant, but not career threatening shoulder injury while the KC/CIN game is 0-0 and is out for the rest of the season. CIN's backup leads the Bengals to a victory over KC in KC, providing good humiliation value against the Chiefs and their forever overrated QB.

Then, CIN's backup QB leads the Bengals to a win over the 49ers, proving that it was all the team and not Burrow. I think that works based upon your desires with the options available.

Unfortunately, I think KC is going to be very motivated after losing to CIN earlier this season and KC is just the better team.

As for me, I will be rooting for CIN and SF, but think it may end up being SF and KC. Maybe this time Armstead will contain Mahomes instead of allowing Mahomes out of the pocket to throw a long pass to a beyond wide open Hill. I think SF has a chance to beat either team (already beat the Bengals in Cincinnati this earlier this season.)
      You're never gonna let this go, are you? Hey, maybe Cincinnati would have time to coax your idol and future HOF QB Alex Smith out of retirement to face off against his old team in the Super Bowl! :goofylol:

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

The visiting teams are .500 in PO this year.
        Back to normal : KC/LAR at SB.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Honey Badger's status for the game will be important
          I give Cinni a great shot at the upset
          as much as I want to have an edge on a rivalry between
          Herb and Burrow, I'd rather the Bengals win it all
          over KC, LAR or 49ers
          Go Burrow
          Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

My sentimental faves for the SB win are the Bengals and the Rams. The Bengals because they are the only team left in the tournament who has not won it, and they have a deserving fan base, like the Chargers fan base.

The Rams because they have only won once, and if they do win it all it will freak out the Spanoses (remember the "Battle for LA?") and they will go all in for a SB next season, like the Rams did this year with their mid-season acquisitions of Beckham and Von Miller, both moves that have paid dividends

Similarly, if the Bengals win it with Burrow in his 2nd season, it will also motivated Telesco and the Spanoses to do what it takes to get Herbert over the top. I read a prognosticator prognosticate early this season that the Chargers weren't willing to go "all-in" to win a SB this season because tradition/conventional wisdom says you don't go all-in until a young QB is in his third season. But the Bengals even getting this far ought to demonstrate to TT and the Spanos family that if they had been willing upgrade the roster with the cap space they have, it could be the Bolts playing in the Championship Game Sunday.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Have a conference championship game and the Super Bowl ever been held in the same stadium? That is what is going to happen at SoFi. The Bucs played the SB in their home stadium last year, but the NFC Championship Game was played in Green Bay. The Rams may be the first team to play a conference championship and a Super Bowl in their home stadium.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

No, it will be the first time.
                And probably the first time a team plays at home in SB 2 consecutive years.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  over KC, LAR or 49ers
                  Go Burrow

We need to talk about Jimmy.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    Have a conference championship game and the Super Bowl ever been held in the same stadium? That is what is going to happen at SoFi. The Bucs played the SB in their home stadium last year, but the NFC Championship Game was played in Green Bay. The Rams may be the first team to play a conference championship and a Super Bowl in their home stadium.
                    No, sir. It has never been done. For some goofy reason, I started memorizing Super Bowl history when I was 10 in 1976, following Super Bowl 10.

It HAS been held in Minneapolis, Detroit, and New York, but mostly southern locals, following bowl tradition.

mcgee-lombardijpg.jpeg

The best part about Max McGee's Super Bowl I hangover story is that it’s all true. But it’s not all there is.

Super Bowl I The legend of Max McGee

Comment

• Originally posted by captaind View Post

You're never gonna let this go, are you? Hey, maybe Cincinnati would have time to coax your idol and future HOF QB Alex Smith out of retirement to face off against his old team in the Super Bowl! :goofylol:
                      I think it is you that is not going to let the issue go. I am not an Alex Smith fan and never was.

After Alex Smith led the entire league in passer rating in 2017, I suggested that Mahomes would not finish with a higher passer rating in 2018 than Smith had in 2017. I predicated this analysis on my view that Mahomes was less accurate than Smith and would have a lower completion percentage and more INTs. In fact, I specifically predicted that Mahomes would have at least twice as many INTs as Smith did in 2017.

I was exactly 100% correct with regard to the bases for my overall passer rating prediction. Mahomes did have a lower completion percentage than Smith had the year before. Mahomes did have more INTs than Smith had the year before and yes, did have more than twice as many INTs as Smith had the year before, all exactly as I predicted.

Where the prediction regarding passer rating failed came from Reid retooling the offense to a new offense that took defenses by storm early in 2018 and some flukish passing TD stat padding by Mahomes early in the season. You see, I did not predict that KC's first 10 offensive TDs would come via the pass even though two were from the 1 yard line and another two came from inside the 5 yard line since KC had the reigning NFL leader in rushing yards in Hunt at the time.

So, the number of passing TDs for Mahomes that year ended up being flukishly high (he has not come within 12 TDs of his 2018 number in 3 seasons since), which propped up his passer rating and made my prediction about passer rating wrong.

Basically, I was exactly right as to the specific completion percentage and INT stats I predicted, but its effect was overshadowed by some wildly skewed one-off outlier stats that nobody could have predicted and that Mahomes has been incapable of duplicating since.

We have the best QB right now (and I do mean in the entire NFL), so Mahomes is not even the best QB in his own division. Since many people regard Mahomes as the best QB in the NFL, that makes him overrated.

And that is all the more obvious when you see them playing on the same field in the same game. Herbert is bigger, faster, has a better arm, and throws a better ball than Mahomes does. I am here to tell you that live and at the stadium (as I was in KC this season), the reality of that was as plain as day. Mahomes is simply not as good of an athlete or passer as many make him out to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                        over KC, LAR or 49ers
                        Go Burrow
                        I cannot root for Burrow or KC, so I need CIN's backup QB to beat KC and I am not liking my odds on that happening. Still pissed at BUF's coaching stupidity in demonstrating how to lose when you have the better team because would have been a good neutral team to win it all.

I would like to see the 49ers get in over the Rams because that is better for us as Chargers fans (in the battle for LA) and because the 49ers seem like they would be a tougher matchup for the Chiefs as the team most similar to TEN, who stomped all over KC. They also beat the Bengals in Cincinnati earlier this season.

I understand why some Chargers fans living in the Bay Area do not want the 49ers to win, but I see the 49ers as a neutral team and the rest as teams to root against.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                          Chargers Hall of Fame
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I cannot root for Burrow or KC, so I need CIN's backup QB to beat KC and I am not liking my odds on that happening. Still pissed at BUF's coaching stupidity in demonstrating how to lose when you have the better team because would have been a good neutral team to win it all.

I would like to see the 49ers get in over the Rams because that is better for us as Chargers fans (in the battle for LA) and because the 49ers seem like they would be a tougher matchup for the Chiefs as the team most similar to TEN, who stomped all over KC. They also beat the Bengals in Cincinnati earlier this season.

I understand why some Chargers fans living in the Bay Area do not want the 49ers to win, but I see the 49ers as a neutral team and the rest as teams to root against.
                          Works for me. Sadly, once I envision an outcome I want, the opposite happens. So I suppose we just confirmed the Rams and Bengals Super Bowl, with Burrow getting a Super Bowl ring before Herbert.

Now if you'll excuse me while I go barf...

Comment

Working...
                          X