• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
    Sean McDermott - 'We didn’t execute in final 13 seconds of regulation'

Shame the Bills lost their focus for the last 13 seconds. It makes me happy too, as out first
    year coach already knows how to beat the guy.
    He started out the game so well too with the 4th down calls. But then turtled up after that for whatever reason. You can’t play conservative against KC. It’s why if they make the SB, they’ll probably win again because both Shanahan and McVay play too conservatively. McVay in particular is bad because at least he doesn’t have the excuse of Goff anymore, or even Jimmy G.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

I know the conventional wisdom is that the Bengals have no chance to beat the Chiefs. But I think Cincinnati does have a decent shot at winning, if they execute to near perfection on offense. The Bills were conservative on offense to start the 3rd Q, punting on their first possession, in which they tried to run the ball with their RBs. The Bills then punted on 4th & 1 from their own 34. The Chiefs had not been able to stop Buff's offense prior to that. The Chiefs scored at TD on their possession. And when the Bills offense got the ball again they scored on one play - the 75 yard TD pass to G. Davis. After this the game became a shoot-out

I think McDermot failed to understand early enough that the game was going to be a shoot-out. Romo even mentioned it, after the long TD pass, that the Bills had been too conservative on the previous possession. My point being, I don't think Bengals coach Zac Taylor is going to make that mistake, his game plan is to assume the game will be an offensive shootout, and the Bengals have an offense to match KC's. So I think that mentality is going to keep the Bengals in the game, and the winner will be decided in the last few mins or seconds of the game and it could be a walk-off win in the fashion we are accustomed to seeing now.

Also, will KC be emotionally drained after the thriller with Buffalo? Remember how emotionally drained the Chargers were in 1982 after the Epic in Miami, going to Cincinnati the next week? Of course, the Chargers were on the road in both games, and went from the heat of Miami to the Freezer Bowl the next, so the comparison may totally be not valid.

If I were a betting man, I would pick the Chiefs to win (but I don't know if I would pick them to cover the spread). However, I give the Bengals more of a chance to win this game than most do.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

He started out the game so well too with the 4th down calls. But then turtled up after that for whatever reason. You can’t play conservative against KC. It’s why if they make the SB, they’ll probably win again because both Shanahan and McVay play too conservatively. McVay in particular is bad because at least he doesn’t have the excuse of Goff anymore, or even Jimmy G.
        They lost it in the final 13 seconds.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          I know the conventional wisdom is that the Bengals have no chance to beat the Chiefs. But I think Cincinnati does have a decent shot at winning, if they execute to near perfection on offense. The Bills were conservative on offense to start the 3rd Q, punting on their first possession, in which they tried to run the ball with their RBs. The Bills then punted on 4th & 1 from their own 34. The Chiefs had not been able to stop Buff's offense prior to that. The Chiefs scored at TD on their possession. And when the Bills offense got the ball again they scored on one play - the 75 yard TD pass to G. Davis. After this the game became a shoot-out

I think McDermot failed to understand early enough that the game was going to be a shoot-out. Romo even mentioned it, after the long TD pass, that the Bills had been too conservative on the previous possession. My point being, I don't think Bengals coach Zac Taylor is going to make that mistake, his game plan is to assume the game will be an offensive shootout, and the Bengals have an offense to match KC's. So I think that mentality is going to keep the Bengals in the game, and the winner will be decided in the last few mins or seconds of the game and it could be a walk-off win in the fashion we are accustomed to seeing now.

Also, will KC be emotionally drained after the thriller with Buffalo? Remember how emotionally drained the Chargers were in 1982 after the Epic in Miami, going to Cincinnati the next week? Of course, the Chargers were on the road in both games, and went from the heat of Miami to the Freezer Bowl the next, so the comparison may totally be not valid.

If I were a betting man, I would pick the Chiefs to win (but I don't know if I would pick them to cover the spread). However, I give the Bengals more of a chance to win this game than most do.
          The Bengals just beat them. I wouldn’t be surprised if they could beat them again.

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The Bengals just beat them. I wouldn’t be surprised if they could beat them again.
            The Bengals barely beat them at home, while the Bills dominated the Chiefs in their home stadium earlier in the year. I hope the Bengals beat the Chiefs also but it’s not going to be easy and the Chiefs are quite capable of blowing them out.

Comment

• Xenos
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

They lost it in the final 13 seconds.
              Yeah, and that final 13 seconds encapsulates his conservative nature.

Comment

• Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I hate to praise the Patriots but that is why they have been the class of the NFL for the last 20 years. They eliminated or reduced the number of mistakes they made and basically out--executed the opponents consistently. They didn't have the best roster every season but they had mentally tough players who knew their jobs and did it for the most part.
                I do not disagree with what you are saying about the Patriots, but there are mistakes, and then there are mistakes of the kind that we saw last weekend with the worst being how BUF just flushed their season right down the toilet. It is one thing to get beat physically, but quite another to roll out the red carpet for the other team and create a win for them when none would have otherwise happened.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

The Bengals barely beat them at home, while the Bills dominated the Chiefs in their home stadium earlier in the year. I hope the Bengals beat the Chiefs also but it’s not going to be easy and the Chiefs are quite capable of blowing them out.
                  The Chiefs got out to a big lead, then the Bengals came roaring back, and kept Mahomes & Co. in check while they scored and scored. What I'm saying is that once the Bengals figured how to beat the Chiefs' D, they were able to pour it on. Now they have that blueprint, coupled with how Josh Allen ripped huge holes in the KC passing D on Sunday, the Bengals' offense can start pouring it on from their first possession. The Bengals have the offense to keep up with the Chiefs. I'm saying if as long as they execute that offense well this weekend, the game will go down to the wire.

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

The Chiefs got out to a big lead, then the Bengals came roaring back, and kept Mahomes & Co. in check while they scored and scored. What I'm saying is that once the Bengals figured how to beat the Chiefs' D, they were able to pour it on. Now they have that blueprint, coupled with how Josh Allen ripped huge holes in the KC passing D on Sunday, the Bengals' offense can start pouring it on from their first possession. The Bengals have the offense to keep up with the Chiefs. I'm saying if as long as they execute that offense well this weekend, the game will go down to the wire.
                    And hopefully keep Burrow upright.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghost View Post
                      Sean McDermott - 'We didn’t execute in final 13 seconds of regulation'

Shame the Bills lost their focus for the last 13 seconds. It makes me happy too, as out first
                      year coach already knows how to beat the guy.
                      Didn't execute?! McDermott is the one that put his team in a position to lose. It is 100% on him and Frazier.

Homerun Throwback part 2 was not about to happen. He had to trust his team to cover a short and high kickoff and burn off half of the remaining 13 seconds just to get to where they were given the ball on an end zone kick (about the 25 yard line). Then, a 19 yard gain by Hill just means a Hail Mary at best (if there was still any time on the clock) because Butker is not going to kick a 73 yard FG.

And what are they doing letting Hill catch a ball while not being defended in the open field? Hill in the open field with the ball is a result to be avoided in the passing game.

All season long the Bills had the #1 ranked pass defense and yet, they refused to play their normal known passing situation defense.

These coaching decisions are why they lost, not because their pass defenders did not execute after they were told to line up such that they could shake hands with the goal post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Velo View Post

I remember GG. He is No. 5 on the all time Chargers reception yardage list with 7533 yds. He was 4th, but Keenan Allen (8535 yds) passed him this season to capture the No. 4 spot. Garrison had 58 TDs to Allen's 48 TDs though. He doesn't get a lot of attention because he played opposite a legend - Alworth. You're right, strong resemblance to Kirk Douglas.

1968-Topps-036-Gary-Garrison.jpg
                        Yeah, the Kirk Douglas resemblance is a pretty good call. I never noticed that before.

Comment

• Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post
                          Ugh. Every team I had hoped would win this weekend ended up losing. Yup. My football karma is that bad.

I don't want Cincinnati to win as I do not want to repeat the history of Herbert not getting to Super Bowls and other QBs in that draft class getting two rings. Sick of that crap.

I don't want KC to win it for obvious reasons.

I don't want the Rams to win it as I'd prefer the Chargers are the talked about team from L.A. and I would love to see the Rams all-in $$ for a ring this year blow up in their face.

I don't want the 49ers to win it because I live in the Bay Area and I've gotta hear all about it non-stop.

So...damn. I guess the one I have to choose is the 49ers, the least likely to win it all from this group.

Sigh...
                          Well, how about this scenario?

The 49ers beat the Rams, which I think is even money in my mind to happen anyway.

Burrow suffers a significant, but not career threatening shoulder injury while the KC/CIN game is 0-0 and is out for the rest of the season. CIN's backup leads the Bengals to a victory over KC in KC, providing good humiliation value against the Chiefs and their forever overrated QB.

Then, CIN's backup QB leads the Bengals to a win over the 49ers, proving that it was all the team and not Burrow. I think that works based upon your desires with the options available.

Unfortunately, I think KC is going to be very motivated after losing to CIN earlier this season and KC is just the better team.

As for me, I will be rooting for CIN and SF, but think it may end up being SF and KC. Maybe this time Armstead will contain Mahomes instead of allowing Mahomes out of the pocket to throw a long pass to a beyond wide open Hill. I think SF has a chance to beat either team (already beat the Bengals in Cincinnati this earlier this season.)

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍