• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by JAFA View Post
    I think Staley was also using this year to serve notice to the players that they WILL be put in 4th down / critical situations, situations where they MUST execute, and they better get used to it. Used to the pressure, knowing that they'll be in these situation in games and that they better practice and prepare accordingly, because he's not going to change.

I'm convinced that he was aware of the flaws in the team and knew that, barring a miracle, we weren't going anywhere in 21, although I'm sure he would have liked to get a playoff game under the team's belt. It's all part of changing the team's mentality. He was willing to take the hit this year to better prepare for the future.

My only disappointment with the Raider's game was that he didn't go for 2 to win it outright. The defense was NOT going to stop the Raiders in OT.
    But the defense did stop the Raiders in OT. At least on the first drive.

Additionally, maybe the tie played too much into it. Otherwise we would have gone for 2, or even the 4th and 6 in OT.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

But Staley is supposed to be a defensive guru.
      But this was supposed to be a very talented team. Except those who were confident in that got humbled. Fans who had too much of the Kool-Aid got their revelation.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

The Chargers are and have been very physically gifted, but many of the players need to develop as players. Guys like Murray and Tillery. Then add in the injury thing, we are often short of the number of good players. Our guys flash great ability, but great players tend to produce more consistently, and we don't have many of them.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

And some players did improve while playing a new scheme. But the players overall especially depth isn't great. Murray, was a huge disappointment. White flourished. Tillery is getting better as is Nwosu but we need more on the DL.
          The defense overall was so bad it was offensive. I didn't think that was possible with two studs like James and Bosa.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by JAFA View Post
              I think Staley was also using this year to serve notice to the players that they WILL be put in 4th down / critical situations, situations where they MUST execute, and they better get used to it. Used to the pressure, knowing that they'll be in these situation in games and that they better practice and prepare accordingly, because he's not going to change.

I'm convinced that he was aware of the flaws in the team and knew that, barring a miracle, we weren't going anywhere in 21, although I'm sure he would have liked to get a playoff game under the team's belt. It's all part of changing the team's mentality. He was willing to take the hit this year to better prepare for the future.

My only disappointment with the Raider's game was that he didn't go for 2 to win it outright. The defense was NOT going to stop the Raiders in OT.
              Agreed.
              I specifically remember a thread this time last year discussing the need for a "culture-change"
              it's here fellas
              Those players who are not mentally fit for this culture will be weeded out
              I'm afraid that might include some fan favorites but to hell with it, aggression and fearlessness is our identity now, bring it on.
              Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

A quote from Telesco about this:
                One of the identities of the 2021 Chargers was their ability and confidence in converting fourth downs, never shying away from a moment to make a game-changing play. Telesco touched on the evolution of analytics throughout his 26 years in the NFL, a tool that he and Staley use to assist with those decisions in the heat of the moment.

"You know what you get with us; we're going to play aggressive" he said. "It's not reckless, I really don't see it as reckless. All of these decisions, even though they're made in real-time, there's research involved in it prior to the game. There's also context involved in that, too. Like I said, Brandon [Staley] is not a robot, but with decisions on the field, you have to make quick, quick decisions in real-time. I thought that he did a really excellent job with that this year. He has my support behind that."

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Anyone hoping Staley is going to suddenly scale back on going for it on fourth down is going to be disappointed. I expect lots and lots of chatter about it every time it does not work again next year!

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    Anyone hoping Staley is going to suddenly scale back on going for it on fourth down is going to be disappointed. I expect lots and lots of chatter about it every time it does not work again next year!
                    Depends on how well they upgrade defense, distance, score, field position.

A decision that doesn’t factor those variables is stupid silly.

We saw Staley call for a punt on many 4th downs this season so he certainly recognizes times when it’s better to punt.

Those of us who criticized the 4th down go for it……were ONLY critical of 2 out of all the 4th down decisions this year. IIRC, the one before the half with KC and the 4th down call from the 18 in the 3rd quarter versus the Raiders when Bolts were only behind by 3. You will never convince me the reward was worth the risk on that call.

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Depends on how well they upgrade defense, distance, score, field position.

A decision that doesn’t factor those variables is stupid silly.

We saw Staley call for a punt on many 4th downs this season so he certainly recognizes times when it’s better to punt.

Those of us who criticized the 4th down go for it……were ONLY critical of 2 out of all the 4th down decisions this year. IIRC, the one before the half with KC and the 4th down call from the 18 in the 3rd quarter versus the Raiders when Bolts were only behind by 3. You will never convince me the reward was worth the risk on that call.

If it’s 4 and under 5, I generally expect him to go for it. The Vikings game was one where he went away from it, and some argued it cost him the game.

Comment

Working...
                      X