• Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

The five most spectacular Chargers games

1- MIA 1981 (41-38 OT) : It is a no contest, I think
    2- PIT 1994 (17-13) : Just for the end of the game and en route to the SB
    3- IND 2009 (23-17 OT) : No Rivers, no LT. Just wow !
    4- PIT 1982 (31-28) : The comeback with K. Winslow and D. Fouts like MIA 1981
    5- KC 2008 (22-21) : Rivers, LT and Gates
    6- PIT 2018 (33-30) : O.K. it's a regular season game but I would watch that game a million times (another comeback)
    7- PIT 1985 (54-44) : No defense and the ball was always in the air (saw that for the very first time)

I don't know if we can put LV 2022 in there because it's a defeat but what a game, almost a playoff one !
    Sorry Roo, I don't remember anything before that, I was too young. Only some flashes of 79-80.
    Last edited by Maniaque 6; 01-17-2022, 06:57 PM.

Definitely the first two. All the games on the Bobby Ross run were good. One game that I happened to be at...the 2009 wildcard game against the Peyton Manning Colts...Darren Sproles won it in overtime with a 22 yard scamper. I think John Madden was up in the booth also calling the game with Al Michaels. That game was good.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

I chewed out my buddy in England for texting me, "great game!" After the loss
      still trying to figure out if he's trolling or genuine....
      Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post
        Definitely the first two. All the games on the Bobby Ross run were good. One game that I happened to be at...the 2009 wildcard game against the Peyton Manning Colts...Darren Sproles won it in overtime with a 22 yard scamper. I think John Madden was up in the booth also calling the game with Al Michaels. That game was good.
        It could replace my #5, yeah !

Comment

• Parcells
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

2006 we had back to back comebacks. I think we were down 21 against Cincy and then the next week it was like 17 against Denver. That Denver game was the one where right at the end one of the Denver O-linemen tried to cheap shot Igor Olahansky so he just forearm clubbed the guy on the ground.

I’ll also love the end of the 2008 season where we annihilated Denver to end the Cutler and Shanahan eras in Denver and finish of the 4-8 comeback to make the playoffs.

Comment

• northerner
            Charger fan since '79
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
            2006 we had back to back comebacks. I think we were down 21 against Cincy and then the next week it was like 17 against Denver. That Denver game was the one where right at the end one of the Denver O-linemen tried to cheap shot Igor Olahansky so he just forearm clubbed the guy on the ground.

I’ll also love the end of the 2008 season where we annihilated Denver to end the Cutler and Shanahan eras in Denver and finish of the 4-8 comeback to make the playoffs.
            I quickly thought of that "double header" when i saw this thread. I remember almost leaving the sports bar i was at during halftime when it was 28-7 against cincy. 2 incredible weeks.

Comment

• captaind
              Cook This Pork Chops
              • Jun 2013
              • Mars
              • Ball Holder
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

I still have that Bengals game recorded somewhere.

A few others come to mind:

-- The Burner-Turner run that ended Indianapolis' undefeated run. Think they were 13-0 up until we beat them? I know I have that one recorded as well.
              -- The playoff win against Miami in '94 was a great game
              -- The year when we opened against the Redskins and went to OT, and LT broke off a 50-yard run while stiff-arming some poor sap into the ground en route to the endzone.
              -- The game against the Raiders when LT had a TD run, a TD receiving, and a TD passing
              -- There was a game against the Chiefs when they had Herm Edwards, and we were trailing most of the game. We scored a late TD, kicked an onside kick and recovered it, then went on to score & win in the final seconds. Circa 2008? We weren't very good that year and neither were the Chiefs, that's all I remember.

Edit: found highlights of that last one:

Chargers vs Chiefs 2008 Week 15 - Bing video

Comment

• Parcells
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

How the hell did I forget the playoff game against Miami?!? I was at that game. Best game I have ever attended. I was 14 and there with my dad. After Seay caught the go ahead TD pass that stadium was going crazy. Then we almost blew it by letting them get FG attempt. What a game. And we were losing 21-6 at halftime. Definitely one of the greatest Chargers games ever.

Comment

• BigBad
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

The Miami playoff comeback in 1995 is up there for me. Memories of Natrone running guys over and Stan's reaction to his TD pass are still burnt into my mind!

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

The 1981 playoff win at Miami was #1 in my book.

One of my favorites was the AFL Championship game ay Balboa Stadium. The 1963 AFL Championship Game was the fourth American Football League (AFL) title game. The Western Division champion San Diego Chargers won 51–10 over the Eastern Division champion Boston Patriots. The Chargers' Keith Lincoln was named the game's most valuable player (MVP).

Fullback Keith Lincoln performed tremendously and led the Chargers to a 51–10 rout of Boston.[7][8] Named the game's MVP,[9] he rushed for 206 yards on 13 carries, led the team with 123 yards in receiving, and completed a pass for 20 yards.

I know it wasn't close but seeing your favorite team play that well in the Championship game is special.

For a regular season game, this years game vs. the Browns was a very exciting game.

Air Coryell games were almost always exciting. I remember some games against the Bengals and the 49ers when the two teams totaled nearly 100 points.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Here's a newsreel about the 1963 Championship game. It's pretty grainy but it's fun anyway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-uHdFoCnKw
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Dec. 17 1979 Chargers 17 Broncos 7. Monday Night Football. Final game of the season. The Chargers beat reigning division champ Broncos to win the AFC West and advance to the NFL playoffs, both for the first time.

Comment

Working...
                        X