• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Can't tell the difference between this team and the last few years of Norb/AJ

- Same awful, unreliable play from the OL and DL - although I will give them credit for at least trying a lot of different bodies on the OL
    - Sloppy play in general (penalties and turnovers) for large stretches
    - Long stretches of not being creative on offense (no screens against an aggressive front today until late in the 4th qtr - why?), a lot of this probably is because of the poor OL play which severely handicaps what we can do
    - This is year 3 of McCoy...so I think any and all criticism is fair. While at least we don't have to look at Norv's face every week...what does McCoy bring/do that has made us that much better? I mean, would you have confidence in a playoff scenario that he would out-wit a guy like Belicheck? Tomlin? John Harbaugh? I feel like he's "just a guy."

This isn't a "fire McCoy or Telesco" thread...it's just my observations. I just don't see this team as that much better, if at all, from the last regimen. As the IT guys like to say, a lot of "legacy issues" still exist. We have been pegged at 8 or 9 wins for like a few years now and it shows.

A shame that this may be the last year of the Chargers in SD and they will probably go out with a whimper. Still a lot of this season left, obviously, but I feel like I've been watching the same ho hum Chargers football for 4-5 years now.
    Last edited by Boltx; 09-20-2015, 12:34 PM.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02
  • Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
    - Same awful, unreliable play from the OL and DL - although I will give them credit for at least trying a lot of different bodies on the OL
    - Sloppy play in general (penalties and turnovers) for large stretches
    - Long stretches of not being creative on offense (no screens against an aggressive front today until late in the 4th qtr - why?), a lot of this probably is because of the poor OL play which severely handicaps what we can do
    - This is year 3 of McCoy...so I think any and all criticism is fair. While at least we don't have to look at Norv's face every week...what does McCoy bring/do that has made us that much better?

This isn't a "fire McCoy or Telesco" thread...it's just my observations. I just don't see this team as that much better, if at all, from the last regimen. As the IT guys like to say, a lot of "legacy issues" still exist. We have been pegged at 8 or 9 wins for like a few years now and it shows.

A shame that this may be the last year of the Chargers in SD and they will probably go out with a whimper. Still a lot of this season left, obviously, but I feel like I've been watching the same ho hum Chargers football for 4-5 years now.
    Well Norv was going 9-7 and 8-8 against a pretty shitty division.

McCoy has had about the same number of win totals but against better competition. I think we're better without Norv.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

All I can say is I hope this game will not be a sign of what's to come. If it is, we're 8-8 at best. Probably not even that as Rivers will be toast in a couple weeks if this continues.
      For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• homeless simpson
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

The team looked a lot different in 2013 with whiz, but the last 18 games has shown a bad habit of sloppy uninspired slow starts for almost whole halves of games. Sure we've won some of those games but weren't those the same issues being complained about before?

Comment

• RTPbolt
          Charger Fan till the end
          • Jun 2013
          • North Carolina
          • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
          All I can say is I hope this game will not be a sign of what's to come. If it is, we're 8-8 at best. Probably not even that as Rivers will be toast in a couple weeks if this continues.
          Dudes...put the gun down! We played two playoff caliber teams and are 1-1. We made a lot of mistakes and still was in this till the end in an away game. I expect inconsistent play by the lines. I did see some positives. We ran the pretty effectively. Cincy has a very strong D and we still put up some solid yards on them. We need to reduce the turnovers no doubt...Allens drop was just bad and cost us 7 after a solid stop by our D. Lambo needs to get his balls back and hit them like he was in PS.

We have 14 games to go....i didnt expect to be 2-0 against these opponents but we can compete with the better teams.

Comment

• RollingThunder
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Seriously, there are a lot of whining bitches around here. McCoy will be just fine. If anything, he has done as much as he could with the shit that was leftover from Norv and AJ.

This team was quickly on the way to rock bottom so just be glad it didn't make it further and is slowly replenishing its talent.

That was a damn tough team we played out there today in there house and we still had a chance to win it at the end. Other than being handicapped by Reich, I think he's a damn good coach and a good fit for this team

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post
              Seriously, there are a lot of whining bitches around here. McCoy will be just fine. If anything, he has done as much as he could with the shit that was leftover from Norv and AJ.

This team was quickly on the way to rock bottom so just be glad it didn't make it further and is slowly replenishing its talent.

That was a damn tough team we played out there today in there house and we still had a chance to win it at the end. Other than being handicapped by Reich, I think he's a damn good coach and a good fit for this team
              Can you give us some examples as to how he is a "damn good" coach?
              ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• TTK
                EX-Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • America's Finest City
                • Send PM

It's usually the same people complaining about McCoy. Not much of a surprise here.

Comment

• RollingThunder
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

1. Taking a team Norv Turner and AJ burned to the ground and aging vets to the playoffs and beating a tough Cinci team in their crib.

2. Resurrecting Philip River's career

3. Two winning seasons with rookies and especially with aging talent on the roster.

You want to compare Norv and AJ to Mccoy, give him Rivers, LT and Gates in their prime, VJ, Floyd, Dielman and a healthy offensive line and then we'll talk.

The fact is, this is a team in transition since the moment he got here, you need to show some patience.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post

Bingo. The massive overreaction is ridiculous. We are already down to our 3rd string right guard and it killed us today. IMO, we won 9 games the past two years because of the coaching staff, not despite the coaching staff. Is McCoy perfect? Of course not but this junk being thrown out when we lost a close game we were predicted to is just dumb.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                      Dudes...put the gun down! We played two playoff caliber teams and are 1-1. We made a lot of mistakes and still was in this till the end in an away game. I expect inconsistent play by the lines. I did see some positives. We ran the pretty effectively. Cincy has a very strong D and we still put up some solid yards on them. We need to reduce the turnovers no doubt...Allens drop was just bad and cost us 7 after a solid stop by our D. Lambo needs to get his balls back and hit them like he was in PS.

We have 14 games to go....i didnt expect to be 2-0 against these opponents but we can compete with the better teams.
                      I was speaking more to the Bengals domination of the lines today. I know the score was close. That was due to luck and Gordon breaking out of tackles IMO. I hope Fluker comes back soon and plays like he did the first game.
                      For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Whether McCoy is a good coach, I don't know.

I don't know that he sucks, and I don't know that he's great.

I'm not ready to fire him, but I'm also not ready to give him credit for anything other than not being Norv.

My judgment of Telesco is also not yet made.

Comment

Working...
                        X