Is a "Deebo Samuel" WR/RB Already on the Chargers?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

A Deebo would be a player with a whole lot of game.

He looked promising @ VA, but TBH, I see Joe Reed as having not quite enough athleticism for the NFL.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Saw something cheap
      Maybe but you do seem to give up on things easily from players and coaches.

Murray hasn't been good but I'm willing to give him his 3rd season but if offered a 3rd rounder I'd also take it.
      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
      181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
      225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

We also have a poor man's Debo. Andre Robert's is a good vet to have around. he is cheap, but he has some athletic ability. He has been a moderately productive slot WR in offenses that don't really have very good QB play. We have better options there, but we can always mix him in some to just get the ball into the hands of a dynamic guy.

Samuels speed spreads a D horizontally in an outside zone runs, but Herbert's arm does that too. SF is trying to generate O where they can to compensate for Jimmy G. For us, it is a change of pace thing to distract defenses from how Herbert attacks the hole field with his arm.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Maybe but you do seem to give up on things easily from players and coaches.

Murray hasn't been good but I'm willing to give him his 3rd season but if offered a 3rd rounder I'd also take it.
          LOL, that's rich coming from the guy who didn't like the Ingram draft choice and continually undervalued him since then.

But my mind is open. This is what I've seen so far from Murray. I still think he has the physical traits but he doesn't have the mental acuity to handle it at least in Staley's system. Nothing would make me happier than to see Murray become a great ILB. I won't hold my breath tho.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

LOL, that's rich coming from the guy who didn't like the Ingram draft choice and continually undervalued him since then.

But my mind is open. This is what I've seen so far from Murray. I still think he has the physical traits but he doesn't have the mental acuity to handle it at least in Staley's system. Nothing would make me happier than to see Murray become a great ILB. I won't hold my breath tho.
            Again that isn't true. I didn't like the pick. He didn't display a good burst off the snap in college but I support any player we draft, hope for the best and give them their 3 years if they start out rough.
            Ingram didn't do much til his 4th year after a meh rookie season and injured in year 2 and 3.

He had three pretty good years afterwards and after that he tailed off and became mediocre.
            Ingram was never a Merriman type player.

I thought he should of been better being picked 16th and highly touted. He didn't live up to it imo.

I didn't like the Sproles pick either and he had a rough couple years but came around big.

You want to cut players and fire coaches after one season.
            11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
            35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
            37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
            66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
            69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
            100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
            110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
            140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
            181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
            225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Again that isn't true. I didn't like the pick but I support any player we draft and give them their 3 years if they start out rough.
              Ingram didn't do shit til his 4th year after a meh rookie season and injured in year 2 and 3.
              He had three pretty good years afterwards and after that was mediocre.

I thought he should of been better being picked 16th and highly touted. He didn't live up to it imo. He didn't display a big burst off the snap in college.

I didn't like the Sproles pick either and he had a rough couple years but came around big.

You want to cut players and fire coaches after one season.
              And I hate it when I’m right.

Comment

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Reed has a solid build and similar measurables to Samuel (within an inch or so and 10 pounds; within .01 in 40 time; within 1 inch in both vertical leap and broad jump), but Reed seems slightly more rigid and less elusive than Samuel, which I think could make all the difference between two physically similar players.
                well if staley will go for it on 4th down on his own 18, I suppose he will try anything. I don't know Reed but i think Samuel is a rare bird not too common.

Comment

• foreigner
                  Tom Telesco is gone
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

Love it when I see this overreaction threads of a player they just seen in in the telly.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

It was awful fun to see SF motion Trent Williams and then use him to block the opposite end with a full head of steam. He wiped out his man and then fell into two others like they were bowling pins. Shanahan is creative in his run game.

You want to have success with gadgety guys like Samuels, you got to put in the time on the play designs and get pretty creative.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                      It was awful fun to see SF motion Trent Williams and then use him to block the opposite end with a full head of steam. He wiped out his man and then fell into two others like they were bowling pins. Shanahan is creative in his run game.

You want to have success with gadgety guys like Samuels, you got to put in the time on the play designs and get pretty creative.

TG
                      agree.

I don't think Reed was ever given a chance to fit in on O or even on kickoff returns for that matter. Maybe he was drafted to help out Tyrod Taylor.

The Chargers were running out the turtleish Larry Roundtree on kickoffs this year for goodness sake

Comment

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
                        Love it when I see this overreaction threads of a player they just seen in in the telly.
                        Samuel is a play making stud. And he is money in the clutch.

I like Reed and liked that we drafted him when we did, but to my eye, Samuel looks like the more fluid athlete. I raised the Reed as a RB possibility well before this season and before Samuel emerged as a potential threat as a RB and believe he has some potential in that regard. But I do not expect him to be as good as Samuel if the team chooses to go in that direction.

I think Reed has potential as a return man, but for the life of me, I do not understand why he has not been coached out of catching the ball high, stepping back and then running. It is like watching the kickoff return version of a Ty Long punt--extra time to get it going for no good reason.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I think Reed has potential as a return man, but for the life of me, I do not understand why he has not been coached out of catching the ball high, stepping back and then running. It is like watching the kickoff return version of a Ty Long punt--extra time to get it going for no good reason.
                          Roberts seems to do the same thing. I swear I have seen him do it on some of his longest returns.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X