• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Fix Overtime?

I had heard this discussed as a proposal a time or two as a way to avoid what happened to the Bills in the playoffs. Here is a blurb about it from the Athletic newsletter:

The 2022 Pro Bowl will serve as a testing ground for the “spot and choose” concept we discussed in our overtime saga a few weeks ago. Instead of deploying it in overtime, though, both teams will forgo kickoffs and use this method for possession in each half.

Confused? A refresher:
    • Instead of choosing to kick or receive, the team that wins the opening coin toss will instead choose anywhere on the field to place the ball, along with the direction. The team that loses the coin toss will then decide whether to start on offense or defense. The loser will also be able to choose between both privileges when the second half begins.

I’m excited to see how it affects strategy and how easily adaptable it could be to overtime in games that matter.

As for your overtime suggestions. The more I mulled over it, the one I liked best was the simplest: A 10-minute overtime session that just continues the game.

It doesn’t require a PhD to learn a new wrinkle, but does add exciting strategy changes. Imagine how a team might alter course late in the game, knowing that draining the clock for a last-second tying field goal would just make you kick off to start overtime. Do you score quickly and give the ball back? Most importantly, you avoid a coin flip and, unless a team goes retro and produces a 10-minute drive, both sides get the ball.
  • Lone Bolt
    Brock Bowers N.M.W.
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Weird...for me, every team gets a possession...after that its sudden death. Just my take. In the playoffs, for a team to never even touch the ball has gotta be gut wrencing for team and fans.
    The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

In the CFL, each team have a possession beginning at the 30 in the opposite zone.
      After 3 possessions, if it's always tie, you have to go for 2 points after a TD.
      Fair and spectacular.
      I think it is the same in NCAA.

Comment

• Berserker76
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2019
        • Send PM

I'm a big fan of the 10-minute overtime session that just continues the game. Great idea. It's simple, and I believe the fairest, as it's just an extension of the game being played. Probably too simple for the NFL, though. Face it, at some point one team will lose and that last play will always be gut-wrenching for the losing team. No way around that, someones got to lose.

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
          Weird...for me, every team gets a possession...after that its sudden death. Just my take. In the playoffs, for a team to never even touch the ball has gotta be gut wrencing for team and fans.
          To add to this, you only want to change the OT rules the playoffs. Everything should stay the same during the regular season.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
            Pretty much retired......
            • Sep 2018
            • JoJa
            • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
            • Send PM

I hate it when a team gets no chance in OT. Granted the D have to make a stop and don't.....game over. I'll try something new.....why not???

Comment

• SBbound
              Casual fanatic
              • Feb 2019
              • Merced/San Diego
              • Send PM

At first glance I'm partial to the 10-minute overtime extension. Seems exciting and fair. I'll have to read more opinions.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by labound View Post
                At first glance I'm partial to the 10-minute overtime extension. Seems exciting and fair. I'll have to read more opinions.
                It makes more sense than the NFL can accept.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                  In the CFL, each team have a possession beginning at the 30 in the opposite zone.
                  After 3 possessions, if it's always tie, you have to go for 2 points after a TD.
                  Fair and spectacular.
                  I think it is the same in NCAA.
                  Yeah, I don’t think we should have college rules in the NFL.

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
                    I hate it when a team gets no chance in OT. Granted the D have to make a stop and don't.....game over. I'll try something new.....why not???
                    It’s just very hard for a defense with the rare exceptions like the Bengals. Everything is so offense oriented these days.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Yeah, I don’t think we should have college rules in the NFL.
                      Why not ?
                      Where do you think the 2 points conversion come from ?

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Why not ?
                        Where do you think the 2 points conversion come from ?
                        I just think the current college OT rules are rather silly, and wouldn’t work in the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                        X