• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AK47
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

Sudden Death Overtime > Overtime

QB vs QB in a game of QB H.O.R.S.E (ei. hitting a target from 40 yards away or in Justin Herbert's case....60 yards.)

Comment

• Xenos
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Thats what they said about RPO's and the Wildcat. Now a QB that can run is desirable more than a statue.
      Lamar Jackson allegedly didn't translate either.
      Yeah but that affects individual teams if they want to implement RPOs or Wildcats. We’re talking about something that affects everyone.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
        SLAM DUNK!
        • Jun 2013
        • East County San Diego
        • Bolt fanatic
        • Send PM

I say you do it like a Penalty kick in soccer kind of...well maybe not. But the big deal is you don't want to continue extending the game too long and you want to decide it fairly.

The particulars are flexible but the coin toss winner just picks who is on offense first, or just do home team chooses since Home is supposed to be an advantage.

Give the Offense the Ball 1st and 10 at their own 40 and give them like 15 or 20 snaps, no clock, basically an equal number of plays that is acceptable to extend the game with out overextending the players

No punts, but if your close enough you can try a FG as only a few plays will get you in position.

You turn it over on downs you lose all the plays from that drive and start back at the 40 with however many plays left to try and score.

This will involve the performance of the Defense and the Offense in regular down and distance trying to score situations (i.e. real football) and the FG unit will be a factor also, every inch of field position will be extremely critical.

I think you would probably switch teams if someone gets stopped, let the other team try, then go back so the first team knows what they need to match or pull ahead.

To easy to tie still you might be thinking? I think you simply have yards gained as the tiebreaker. That's the key, eliminate the clock and the unfairness of who has it first/last

This sets up lots of walk off scenarios that are determined by the drama of how the OT goes, you might just need to gain a certain amount of yards on your final play to win or you might be behind in yards and need a score. But whatever the case this method eliminates putting too much weight on coin tosses, possesion and scoring first, the game going too long and over extending plaers exposing them to injury or competitive disadvantage in following game.
        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
          I say you do it like a Penalty kick in soccer kind of...well maybe not. But the big deal is you don't want to continue extending the game too long and you want to decide it fairly.

The particulars are flexible but the coin toss winner just picks who is on offense first, or just do home team chooses since Home is supposed to be an advantage.

Give the Offense the Ball 1st and 10 at their own 40 and give them like 15 or 20 snaps, no clock, basically an equal number of plays that is acceptable to extend the game with out overextending the players

No punts, but if your close enough you can try a FG as only a few plays will get you in position.

You turn it over on downs you lose all the plays from that drive and start back at the 40 with however many plays left to try and score.

This will involve the performance of the Defense and the Offense in regular down and distance trying to score situations (i.e. real football) and the FG unit will be a factor also, every inch of field position will be extremely critical.

I think you would probably switch teams if someone gets stopped, let the other team try, then go back so the first team knows what they need to match or pull ahead.

To easy to tie still you might be thinking? I think you simply have yards gained as the tiebreaker. That's the key, eliminate the clock and the unfairness of who has it first/last

This sets up lots of walk off scenarios that are determined by the drama of how the OT goes, you might just need to gain a certain amount of yards on your final play to win or you might be behind in yards and need a score. But whatever the case this method eliminates putting too much weight on coin tosses, possesion and scoring first, the game going too long and over extending plaers exposing them to injury or competitive disadvantage in following game.
          Thats way to complicated and convoluted for my taste. I like just doing a variant of the college OT. Each team gets the ball to score or not. After each team has gone, if one team is ahead they win. Else play another round - alternating who goes first. The fourth down advantage mentioned earlier is nothing compared to the current advantage of a coin flip - which if any hadn’t noticed, isnt football.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• DennisR91
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2021
            • Send PM

Ok I don’t like a format that favors offense or defense

i Like the ten minute ot period

No coin toss but instead
            home team gets the ot call to receive or differ

Ball placed at ur own yard line of the score

ie 3pts vs 3 pts

home team automatic choice(home field advantage)
            i differ
            opponents starts ot at own 3 yd line

ie 35 vs 35
            home team i accept
            i start on own 35

if still tied ? Let me think lol

alternatively
            make the tied score
            ball placed at opponents yard line
            ie 3-3
            ball placed opponent 3 so first and goal to start ot lol

Comment

• DennisR91
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2021
              • Send PM

Ok so I have my 2nd ot format called
              punt pass kick run in any order

the punt is like a field goal

teams take turns

4 plays

you decide ball placement

yard line divided by ten determines the score ie ten yard is 1 point

field goal and punt must through uprights
              pass and run must cross goal line

play one 10 yard line
              run
              1point

play two field goal 20 yard line
              2 points

play 3 punt formation 30 yard line
              fake punt for a 30 yard pass

3 points

play 4 by default you have to punt
              10 yard line through the uprights

1point

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

The XFL has the solution
                The ball is at the 50
                The two formations are on their 30
                At the whistle, the first who get the ball win !

Comment

• RTPbolt
                  Charger Fan till the end
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Carolina
                  • Send PM

Simple is better IMO. Fair opportunity is important.

10 minutes. Play the full time and most score at end wins it. For regular season it works great. No extra rules even needed.

For playoffs you do need some deciding factor though if 10 mins results in still tied.

Option 1:
                  Most teams in the playoffs have pretty decent offenses. I think if still tied you go more shootout like the NHL. Equal opportunity by each side. Each gets to Opponents 25 yard line 4 plays to score. Teams can kick the fg too. This way a team that is gutsy can go for the TD on 4th but is either trying to match a td already scored by opponent or taking the risk of not scoring at all and leaving the opponents chance to even score a fg for the win. Going 2nd isnt such a disadvantage as you may be able to tie or go for a kill if the other team did a fg. A lot more score strategy than NHL this way…risk and reward or die.

Or Option 2
                  FG kicking . Start at 25s and move it back 5 yards at a time till 1 side misses and the other doesnt. High intensity experience.

Cant take forevor but whatever solution has got to give fairness to outscore the other.

Comment

• DennisR91
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                    Simple is better IMO. Fair opportunity is important.

10 minutes. Play the full time and most score at end wins it. For regular season it works great. No extra rules even needed.

For playoffs you do need some deciding factor though if 10 mins results in still tied.

Option 1:
                    Most teams in the playoffs have pretty decent offenses. I think if still tied you go more shootout like the NHL. Equal opportunity by each side. Each gets to Opponents 25 yard line 4 plays to score. Teams can kick the fg too. This way a team that is gutsy can go for the TD on 4th but is either trying to match a td already scored by opponent or taking the risk of not scoring at all and leaving the opponents chance to even score a fg for the win. Going 2nd isnt such a disadvantage as you may be able to tie or go for a kill if the other team did a fg. A lot more score strategy than NHL this way…risk and reward or die.

Or Option 2
                    FG kicking . Start at 25s and move it back 5 yards at a time till 1 side misses and the other doesnt. High intensity experience.

Cant take forevor but whatever solution has got to give fairness to outscore the other.
                    I thought about option 2 but then didn’t like the idea of that kickers wins championships
                    the kicker bears too much weight on games outcomes it seems sometimes and not sure if they are paid proportional to their worth
                    if they decide the game as much or more than a an then they should be paid like that lol

more ideas

simce they didn’t take care in regulation:

any qb that played in regulation is disqualifed both teams

All players disqualified from playing normal direction

ie offense must play defense in ot and vice versa

its still a team game lol

I think teams strategize to hold the ball last
                    If u take care in regulation then u don’t worry
                    maybe see games won earlier rather than later

Comment

• CivilBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                      The XFL has the solution
                      The ball is at the 50
                      The two formations are on their 30
                      At the whistle, the first who get the ball win !
                      Tyreek Hill will win that format every time

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                        SLAM DUNK!
                        • Jun 2013
                        • East County San Diego
                        • Bolt fanatic
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Thats way to complicated and convoluted for my taste. I like just doing a variant of the college OT. Each team gets the ball to score or not. After each team has gone, if one team is ahead they win. Else play another round - alternating who goes first. The fourth down advantage mentioned earlier is nothing compared to the current advantage of a coin flip - which if any hadn’t noticed, isnt football.
                        I just think you leave the possibly open that you are trying to avoid of having it continue on possibly infinitely like a baseball game.

Maybe it would be complicated, but I think you just put something on the screen like penalty kicks in soccer showing how many plays left. Then its just regular football limited by equal snaps for each team. If score tied than yards gain would be the tie breaker. On the screen you just show yards gained and score during the whole thing. I think it would be tense with lots of drama, only a big play from getting back in the game if you fall behind. At its core the game is fighting over every inch of the field, in the closest games let yards break the tie, the only time they matter. If by something crazy its still tied do like 4 more plays.....the variability of yardage gained though will pretty much mean this wont ever happen.
                        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• SuperCharged
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Utah
                          • Midnight Toker
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I would love something like College. Let each team start at the 50. The loser of the coin toss would have to match or out score for the win.

Comment

Working...
                          X