• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChargersPowderBlue
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

After seeing us lose to the Chiefs, and Herbert and company didn't get their chance to touch the ball, I want to see the unfair thing change. I'm confident Herbert and the offense would have answered them back. Never mind the failures of Staley's calls or decisions.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

I would love something like College. Let each team start at the 50. The loser of the coin toss would have to match or out score for the win.
      I really like that idea.

Comment

• DennisR91
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2021
        • Send PM

Both teams get the ball at their own goal line simulataenously on one play

whichever team most yards wins the game

in one play u return and cover lol

Comment

• foreigner
          Tom Telesco is gone
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

I really like that idea.
          yep... me too....

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Give both teams the ball at the 50 (two balls), let them put any 11 players each on the field. Whoever scores the 1st TD wins. Pure excitement.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

If you lose in OT without getting the football, you've done 3 things wrong: you couldn't win in regulation, you lost the coin flip, and your D couldn't make a stop.

You deserve to lose.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                Give both teams the ball at the 50 (two balls), let them put any 11 players each on the field. Whoever scores the 1st TD wins. Pure excitement.
                And coaches get to run onto the field and make plays: I like it!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

How about reverting to rugby rules in OT?

Lots of good ideas; keep them coming!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

I feel like we need to somehow get the cheerleaders involved here…
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

It was my next question.
                      Where are the cheerleaders ?

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                        SLAM DUNK!
                        • Jun 2013
                        • East County San Diego
                        • Bolt fanatic
                        • Send PM

I think all the changes they have done to try to “fix” sudden death overtime have been pointless.

giving the other team possession after a FG is just extending the game and not actually doing anything to solve the inequity that they are trying to solve.

If they don’t want possession/coin flips giving out advantages they need to make it like a baseball game where each side gets an equal shot

now I don’t find this critical because I feel deferring when you win opening game toss gives you an advantage because you don’t know who will have last possession of first half and it’s an advantage to end the half and begin the half with possession.

but if you want to solve OT by giving teams an equal chance like baseball you have to make the overtime an untimed period. You have to give each offense the same number of plays. I think you also have to make it like a shootout in soccer, where a score doesn’t count like a regular stat for fantasy purposes ( yes fantasy considerations are important for the NFL). I think also the only way to avoid the problem of making the players play too much extra you need to go down to OT yards gained as a tie breaker if the score is equal. Give them each 10-15 plays to gain yards and try to score. OT scoring main tie breaker, yards gained secondary tie breaker. Turnovers just cost you yards by “resetting your offense” to starting yard line ( as long as they start at same field position it maintains equality )
                        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                          I think all the changes they have done to try to “fix” sudden death overtime have been pointless.

giving the other team possession after a FG is just extending the game and not actually doing anything to solve the inequity that they are trying to solve.

If they don’t want possession/coin flips giving out advantages they need to make it like a baseball game where each side gets an equal shot

now I don’t find this critical because I feel deferring when you win opening game toss gives you an advantage because you don’t know who will have last possession of first half and it’s an advantage to end the half and begin the half with possession.

but if you want to solve OT by giving teams an equal chance like baseball you have to make the overtime an untimed period. You have to give each offense the same number of plays. I think you also have to make it like a shootout in soccer, where a score doesn’t count like a regular stat for fantasy purposes ( yes fantasy considerations are important for the NFL). I think also the only way to avoid the problem of making the players play too much extra you need to go down to OT yards gained as a tie breaker if the score is equal. Give them each 10-15 plays to gain yards and try to score. OT scoring main tie breaker, yards gained secondary tie breaker. Turnovers just cost you yards by “resetting your offense” to starting yard line ( as long as they start at same field position it maintains equality )
                          I hate the tie breaker ideas - stats shouldn’t mean anything in a real game, thats fantasy football.

But you described college rule, too. College OTs often go 2, 3, 4, more OT cycles. I think its fairer. But it will take longer. NFL tried to pick the shortest, they even call it sudden death. They say “keep playing til someone wins but they start over fresh at the same time. Coin flip at beginning of game is marginal to no importance, but since most defense are gassed after 4Qs, the coin flip is usually the whole chalupa. first team to touch the ball has a huge advantage.

How about they just keep playing the game with whoever had the ball, remove the coin flip. Treat it like 1st or 3rd quarter - switch ends and play the next snap in the series, be it 1st 2nd 3rd down whatever. Except that would drastically change how the team with the ball at the end of Q4 plays - they don’t need to try and score at the risk of giving up the ball. Yeah - that would just be a different clusterfuck unintended consequence.

Never mind. I’m back to figuring out to get cheerleaders involved. That too would be unfair, visiting teams don’t bring cheerleaders, it’d just be a one-sided game, the home team cheerleader would stroll to the end of the field uncontested.

shit, there is no answer. I give up. (actually - i still think the college method is most fair of all the bad options)
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X