• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

I don't see the Chargers taking a RT in R1. R3 maybe but not 1. I think our first round will be the best player available on TT's big board. .
    Maybe. We also already have a 3rd round OT on the team. Maybe we need to upgrade with a 1st or 2nd if we trade down somehow.

Comment

• RTPbolt
      Charger Fan till the end
      • Jun 2013
      • North Carolina
      • Send PM

So weve got Pipkins and Norton with Feiler that could switch. I know Pip looked like a changed man at Tackle to close the season out so I really wonder where Staleys head might be at. Aboushi is still unsigned and I thought he was a good fit and worth a 2 year extension to shore up the RG spot.

What about Shoefield? Is he on the roster? He was versatile.

Comment

• Xenos
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
        So weve got Pipkins and Norton with Feiler that could switch. I know Pip looked like a changed man at Tackle to close the season out so I really wonder where Staleys head might be at. Aboushi is still unsigned and I thought he was a good fit and worth a 2 year extension to shore up the RG spot.

What about Shoefield? Is he on the roster? He was versatile.

Schofield is strictly a backup OG. You don’t want him at OT. After watching Feiler last year, he should stay at LG. Him filling in at RT should strictly be in case of emergency.

The FO may feel that Aboushi is not fully recovered from his ACL tear yet.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

You want to know more about Austin Johnson's game? Read this. I wanted to know why he was a better option than, say Justin Jones. It's really in-depth, written las summer after one year with the Giants, who liked him to bring him back for 2021. As has been noted here already, solid run defender but brings nothing as pass rusher. Interesting to note that in 2021 though his 3.5 sacks exactly doubled his previous career total in five seasons. Strictly back up material, per this piece, and doesn't really defeat double teams.

The Giants retained defensive lineman Austin Johnson and even gave him a raise to stay. What is it he does so well that warranted the decision? Nick Falato breaks it down.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              You want to know more about Austin Johnson's game? Read this. I wanted to know why he was a better option than, say Justin Jones. It's really in-depth, written las summer after one year with the Giants, who liked him to bring him back for 2021. As has been noted here already, solid run defender but brings nothing as pass rusher. Interesting to note that in 2021 though his 3.5 sacks exactly doubled his previous career total in five seasons. Strictly back up material, per this piece, and doesn't really defeat double teams.

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/big-bl...t-and-the-ugly
              The article is dated, with the games from the 2020 season.

Mostly they signed him because they want a player who will get low, fire out and maintain his position through good hand use. Jones doesn't and Johnson does. They want Johnson to keep the LB clean to run to the ball, and not get pushed back into the LB, which is what happens to our DL. I watched 4 games in the middle of the season (the Chargers game, plus the 3 games prior to that), and Johnson obviously lost some weight, got in better shape and was playing low and firing out. He still needs to get better with his hand use, but he keeps his feet moving and makes it very difficult for OL to hook him on zone runs, so he keeps sliding down the line. The biggest problem with that is even if he does his job, any hold over DL showed they do that poorly for us last season, leaving gaps for the RB to cut back in. But at least Johnson will fill some gaps.

Jones is sloppy and while he makes some plays, he gets his ass kicked more than not. For all the knocks that Tillery takes, they are actually similar players. They are sloppy in their technique and let themselves get pushed back into the LB, making life tough on all of our run defenders. And that is odd for 2 players who have really, really good pad level. They just both tend to dip their shoulders and get out of square, plus spend very little time delivering blows against OL, and let the OL get their hands on them, driving them back.

At least Tillery generates some real pass rush reps. And we still have one more year on the rookie deal to fix him. I can't see us picking up the 5th year option on him (almost $11 mill)

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Really surprised TT/Staley switched things up like this, credit to them for signing FAs better than the home grown dudes. We’re a much better team right now due to FA signings.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Austin Johnson needs more love.

Comment

Working...
                  X