Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Craig440 View Post
    I don't understand why people are so casual on Guyton and Palmer. Guyton is good. Our WR crew is good. I'd like to see Roberts back as he is a WR also.

(2) Jalen Guyton- 2020 Highlightsᴴᴰ - YouTube
    It depends on what you mean by good. I love his speed. The guy adds something to the offense because of his speed. However, he is not a great route runner and he disappears for long stretches. Some of that is not his fault. Some of it was Lombardi's fault, some of it the pass protection fault and some of it Herbert's fault. It was hard to get him the ball on deep routes when we couldn't protect Herbert. Then Herbert I think had some confidence issues with Guyton, which is recognition that the route running, hands and adjustments were not there at times. Now, all of those got better as the season went on, but he is not where he needs to be. He flashes that ability, but he needs to step it up.

You can use exactly the same argument for Palmer, Parham, Everett (with Rams and Seattle) and even McKitty to a point. If one of them steps up next year, and any or all of them COULD step up, then we are pretty well set. The catch is will they.

I don't think we necessarily pass on an offensive weapon at TE or WR if they are available either in the draft or via FA after the draft (I don't think we are going to sign any more FA prior to the draft). The catch is who else would be available when we pick. TT has always been the best player available kinda guy, and his moves in FA seem to point to that again. If one of the top RT or the best RG is available, provided we have that kind of grade on them, we shouldn't hesitate to draft them, even though I think Pipkins and Norton will probably continue to develop and be good enough this season and 1 or more of the receivers listed above are going to develop.

We are simply at the point where filling those last couple of holes is really tough, so you have to go with the best player you can get. And if that means another player gets left out in the cold, well, we just have to hope that we find another way to find way to get that production out of them.

Comment

• AK47
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

Guys read the thread title!! "TT Cannot sleep on the offense".
      To that I say this "

When was the last time our Chargers blew out 3 teams in a row??!?! Straight blew the competition out the water? Dominate the scoreboard consecutive games in a row? Showing no mercy. Pedal to the medal. Herbert having 38 TDs is good. Guys we need this offense to pump out 45 - 50 Justin Herbert passing TDs. Just an embarrassment of offensive riches. I want to score so much points the IRS wants a way to tax it.

And when we get those big leads. I want Staley to release our kraken defense on their QB. Just ignore the freaking RB and hit the QB. Passing downs- hit the QB. Run draw plays? Hit the QB. Pull up and not hit the QB after he releases the ball? Naw man like Will Smith you hit the QB. Wait was that the whistle? No that was just the Notre Dame bell Tillery. Hit the damn QB.

Comment

• AFboltfan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2018
        • Balboa Park bench
        • Medical Simulation
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

What do you think about the possible 3rd round WR's...?

Alec Pierce
        Alec Pierce was the leading receiver for Desmond Ridder and the undefeated Cincinnati Bearcats football team. Led the team in receptions, yards, and receivi...

Jalen Tolbert

Khalil Shakir

David Bell
        All of the highlights from the insanely productive 3-year college football player David Bell.

It seems that all of these players would be better value than Max Mitchell.
        You are correct, Mitchell was my 4th round selection after taking a RB in the 3rd and Jordan Davis in the 1st... My list has changed since then lol, Mitchell in the 3rd might be a little high.

Out of your list I really like Khalil Shakir, I'd be excited if we got him.

Comment

• PR#1
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

What do you think about the possible 3rd round WR's...?

Alec Pierce
          Alec Pierce was the leading receiver for Desmond Ridder and the undefeated Cincinnati Bearcats football team. Led the team in receptions, yards, and receivi...

Jalen Tolbert

Khalil Shakir

David Bell
          All of the highlights from the insanely productive 3-year college football player David Bell.

It seems that all of these players would be better value than Max Mitchell.
          That's amazing Pierce ran a 4.33 at the combine.

Chargers could use some Tyreek Hill like explosiveness on their offense !

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
            Here’s something not abstract: expecting a different outcome without changing anything is [complete the thought here].

A top five O that can’t score a TD in OT is an O you make changes to.
            I'm not standing pat, but saying that this idea that we MUST upgrade a single position is bullshit. We need to hit on our 1st and 3rd round picks and get the best players possible. Top players at ANY position are the key. Get a great RT that gives Herbert more time and upgrades consistency and holes for the RB. Add a TE, it attacks the middle of the field better ( a weakness at times in our O). A better runner frees up Ek as a receiver in the slot and helps the 5-minute O. A WR can help stretch the feild, especially if they have speed. Better defenders help to shorten drives, and improve field position, plus may help get turnovers...

The key is just adding the best players regardless of position (with a couple of exceptions), especially at the top of the draft.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I wish you would respond to the actual post, lol. Cuz yeah, we need whomever we pick at whatever position to be a stud if not a game changer, duh. The post you responded to, I called out the entire O, so lots of positions to choose from to improve, yes. In other posts I’ve stumped for WR (a lot), OT, OG, RB2…if you give an O lead by Herbert a chance, he should have the protection and weapons to score. He didn’t last season, one-score game percentage is the best metric IMO if we’re talking about the O winning the game for you.

Or we could go D, pick a game-changing slot guy like Hill or a trencher like Davis. Lots of things to improve upon. But why I harp on WR: late game big plays are usually passes to WRs, and we could use another big play dude (as much as a RT, RB2, etc.). So if you’re referring to other posts of mine, that’s cool, but if you’re lecturing just to lecture and hear your voice that is not cool. We’re not stupid in here, anymore than you’re a genius. (Also the point of this thread is bettering the O…not gonna apologize for wanting a WR.)
              Last edited by blueman; 04-03-2022, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X