• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltgang74
    We Are The Storm!
    • Aug 2018
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Everett gets some run at RB. May be the big back we want
    Good idea

Comment

• Heatmiser
      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Everrett is good against zone defenses. He knows how to sit down under the coverage if the WR run the defenders deep. He lacks the wiggle and route running to get open vs man coverage, so he is not going to replace Parham vs zone situations or downfield routes. He is a good athlete who you can manufacture and scheme receptions to him, but he is no Hunter Henry or Gates. But he can make some plays and get extra YAC if he gets the ball in space. And he is not a very good blocker, although he usually tries hard. He is a good not great player, so until the others step up, or we can find someone better ...
      Steve your takes are always very good. I think he is a little better blocker than you think. He is a nice blend of receiving skills and can block as well as a lot of NFL TEs. He is just not an elite player. But he is the best and most complete TE on the team (for now, given the development of the other guys).

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Young player who might not have even reached his peak yet?

Good signing.

I liked Cook, despite a couple of his costly drops last year. Always thought he seemed a bit...I dunno, clumsy?
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Steve your takes are always very good. I think he is a little better blocker than you think. He is a nice blend of receiving skills and can block as well as a lot of NFL TEs. He is just not an elite player. But he is the best and most complete TE on the team (for now, given the development of the other guys).

TG
          The state of TE blocking is getting worse and worse every year. I agree he is the most well-rounded TE on the roster, but his overall skills are not that great. BUt while the blocking skills of TE are declining, if you want to run a full playbook, you still need guys who can block on the perimeter vs DE and OLB, and fewer and fewer TE can do that.

Everette's blocking skills are less somewhat less important to us, especially if Anderson is brought back, since McKitty and Parham are both decent blockers. But if we want him to get movement in his drive blocks or to have the footwork to get the running game to get outside on an outside zone play, Everette is not the guy. His footwork is not that great and while has the physical tools to be a good blocker, his technique is just not there.

But Everette is the much, much better receiver than our other guys. He has his limitation, but he knows how to get open vs zone defense, which is the type of coverage most teams predominantly play. Cook was brought in to add a receiving element to the offense for the TE spot last year, and he sorta did. He just got old and was not consistent enough to sustain his play over the whole year. He had his moments, but we needed a replacement and Everette is sort of a Cook-like guy. They are not similar players, but they may fill similar roles He is actually a better athlete but is nowhere near the route runner that Cook was/is. But he can make more stuff happen after the catch, so it is probably a wash overall. He is a decent signing, but I wouldn't get too excited. He has a tendency to disappear for some pretty long stretches, which really hurts his production. And then, like Cook, when you aren\'t getting the big number of targets when you drop passes, it really can get a QB or receiver to question his hands.

It will be interesting to see how Parham and McKitty develop. While it is pretty clear we wanted to bring in Everette to fill the Cook role of being the primary TE, I don't think he is going to play so much that Parham and McKitty are going to get the kind of playing time to see if they continue to improve. And if Anderson is brought back (or Nabors), then the FB spot is covered. So it looks like, we will have 4 players mixed into a rotation of the TE/FB type, just like last year.

Everette is a good player, but not that great. He looked like a rising star with the Rams, but has just never raised his game. IT will be interesting to see if he can raise his game. However, he has had plenty of playing time over the last 4 years, so it is not necessarily.

Parham has the kind of ability that if we can find ways to get him the ball, he could turn into a very good receiver. I think he is going to have to be more of a downfield target, but a downfield TE who can split the S and work the hashes and outside can really cause problems for defenses. I don't know if he would ever put up the killer # of catches because of his short game, but he is more athletic and less of a long strider than I thought he was.

McKitty flashed some ability to get open in college at FSU. He is mostly a blocker now, but if he can recapture the magic, there is a chance he develops into a good receiver. even if he doesn't develop into a top-notch guy, I still think he can develop into a guy like Everette, who can post up vs zones, and you can scheme them open on boots and drag patterns.

Comment

• Parcells
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I still hope we bring Stephen Anderson back as he seems to be the best blocker. When he’s in, the defense ignores him as just a blocker, which leads to him sneaking open. And when he has the ball thrown to him he’s generally sure handed and moves decently once he has the ball. While he’s not elite, he’s worthy of a spot on the 53 man roster, unless they’re expect McKitty to grow into that player this year and assume that role.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Everette is a good player, but not that great. He looked like a rising star with the Rams, but has just never raised his game. IT will be interesting to see if he can raise his game.
              Goff & Wilson are two very different quarterbacks....so that is understandable.

Jimmy Graham went from being a star in New Orleans, to a jag in Seattle.
              No tight end on Seattle with Wilson has had big numbers that I can remember.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
                I still hope we bring Stephen Anderson back as he seems to be the best blocker. When he’s in, the defense ignores him as just a blocker, which leads to him sneaking open. And when he has the ball thrown to him he’s generally sure handed and moves decently once he has the ball. While he’s not elite, he’s worthy of a spot on the 53 man roster, unless they’re expect McKitty to grow into that player this year and assume that role.
                I agree Parcells. He is a player who can play multiple positions and while not stellar really at any of them, he holds his own and gives max effort on every play. And he is a pretty good special teams player who can play on all the teams. And he should be super cheap.

Love Staley, but one thing that has been nagging at me is he really went over the top praising some players to the media and us fans but the team made no effort to resign them. Nwosu, Kyzir, Anderson, I am sure there are others. It might start to ring hollow to the team when he talks them up? I know he is always positive, but I remember him really praising these three guys. Looks odd that no effort made to keep them?

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
                  He can also play the fullback position. He got wide open a few times running routes out of the backfield. Lombardi seems to prefer Anderson to Gabe Nabers at FB, so it would make sense to bring back Anderson to play TE/FB and move on from Nabers I guess.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Love Staley, but one thing that has been nagging at me is he really went over the top praising some players to the media and us fans but the team made no effort to resign them. Nwosu, Kyzir, Anderson, I am sure there are others. It might start to ring hollow to the team when he talks them up? I know he is always positive, but I remember him really praising these three guys. Looks odd that no effort made to keep them?

TG
                    Most of the guys who went to other teams wanted too much money.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

Bellinger from SDSU would be a nice day 3 flyer.
                      I honestly didnt see much from him in his years at SDSU. He’s complete e.g. good in-line blocker, but he’s not an above avg receiver nor a downfield threat even at NCAA level. Hard to judge based on how horrible SDSU QB play was the last 2 years but I think he’s McKitty 2.0, we already have him on the roster.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Gerald Everett #12 Tight End - South Alabama

Since there's no more tape to watch on the 2022 draftees, been watching tape on Charger acquisitions. This is damn good tape on Gerald Everett. His corner-post route is going to be brutal to defend. :devil:

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

Gerald Everett will be wearing the number '7' for the Bolts, like Doug Flutie did.

Hard to imagine any two players looking MORE different from each other than the 6-3, 240 pound Everett and the 5-7, 180 pound Flutie.

Comment

Working...
                          X