• SuperCharged
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Utah
    • Midnight Toker
    • Send PM

Who Do You Take Out Of These Players?

Obviously there are other variables.

But there is a pretty good probability that both Penning and Jordan Davis could both be available at #17.

Who would you take if it shakes out that way?
    Jordan Davis DT
    40.00%
    Trevor Penning RT
    22.22%
    Other: "TT is going in a different direction"
    37.78%
  • SK21209
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2020
    • San Diego
    • Send PM

I'm taking Jameson Williams at #17 if he's there. I think adding Jameson to the WR group and signing someone like Billy Turneer/starting Pipkins at RT is more of a value add than drafting Penning.

Comment

• Fleet 1
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Kauai
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post
      I'm taking Jameson Williams at #17 if he's there. I think adding Jameson to the WR group and signing someone like Billy Turneer/starting Pipkins at RT is more of a value add than drafting Penning.
      I love him. Not sure he will be ready for the start of the season. I also love Wilson and Olave. But i realize that its not a huge need im just of the mindset that Staley wants to give Herbert who he is over the moon about...a deep threat that doesnt telegraph the plans when hes on the field like Guyton does. Im RT or WR at this point. He mentions that type of player at his combine presser.

BPA most likely. I think we are in a spot that we can get BPA and it fills a need. Everyone keeps saying you can find a complete WR that rips the top off a D and runs insane routes in the 3rd...thois types dont make it there always.

So much of my WR obsession right now is where i think we are headed offensively. I just think its the trend in the NFL. Team are really wanting 3 studs since they are moving towards such a high percentage of 11 personnel.

You have the best deep ball thrower in the league...i just think it takes 4 guys to cover Keenan and MW. You get a guy like Williams a short pass with open field? Have you seen him in the open field? HR hitter.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
        Fluent in Sarcasm
        • Jun 2013
        • Iowa
        • Man of the People
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

I love him. Not sure he will be ready for the start of the season. I also love Wilson and Olave. But i realize that its not a huge need im just of the mindset that Staley wants to give Herbert who he is over the moon about...a deep threat that doesnt telegraph the plans when hes on the field like Guyton does. Im RT or WR at this point. He mentions that type of player at his combine presser.

BPA most likely. I think we are in a spot that we can get BPA and it fills a need. Everyone keeps saying you can find a complete WR that rips the top off a D and runs insane routes in the 3rd...thois types dont make it there always.

So much of my WR obsession right now is where i think we are headed offensively. I just think its the trend in the NFL. Team are really wanting 3 studs since they are moving towards such a high percentage of 11 personnel.

You have the best deep ball thrower in the league...i just think it takes 4 guys to cover Keenan and MW. You get a guy like Williams a short pass with open field? Have you seen him in the open field? HR hitter.
        Im with you all the way Fleet. Before the ACL I don’t think there’s any chance of Jameson being there at 17, so I really think this will be a value pick that gives this team a lot of options going forward. Even if he misses part of the year we don’t need him to come in and be a WR1 or even a WR2, he can get his feet wet coming along slowly behind Keenan and MW and come playoff time is competing with Palmer (who I still really like) for WR3. It also gives the team options next year if they want to move on from Keenan to free up cap space. It’s not the biggest need on the roster but we do need more WR depth out of this draft and Jameson fits that bill better than anyone. Olave would be the next best fit I think and would contribute more this year but doesn’t have the same upside IMO. I also trust TT’s WR evaluations more than I trust his OL evaluations, even after the Slater pick.

Comment

• Craig440
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

I don't watch college ball so about all I can contribute is questions with an opinion after the answer.

Is Penning anywhere near the stud RT that Slater is the LT? If so we should take him. There is no better weapon for Herbert than time to throw deep. So it depends on how good he is to me.

Edit. On another thought Herbert is pretty good at negating a DE who beats our RT by rolling to his right. Very impressive. at that.

Comment

• foreigner
            Tom Telesco is gone
            • Sep 2013
            • Send PM

I trust our beloved Tommy.... he'll do the best for our team...

Comment

• Fleet 1
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Kauai
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Im with you all the way Fleet. Before the ACL I don’t think there’s any chance of Jameson being there at 17, so I really think this will be a value pick that gives this team a lot of options going forward. Even if he misses part of the year we don’t need him to come in and be a WR1 or even a WR2, he can get his feet wet coming along slowly behind Keenan and MW and come playoff time is competing with Palmer (who I still really like) for WR3. It also gives the team options next year if they want to move on from Keenan to free up cap space. It’s not the biggest need on the roster but we do need more WR depth out of this draft and Jameson fits that bill better than anyone. Olave would be the next best fit I think and would contribute more this year but doesn’t have the same upside IMO. I also trust TT’s WR evaluations more than I trust his OL evaluations, even after the Slater pick.
              I think free agents are holding until after the draft for that next wave of team needs t9o be more apparent. As usual. I expect we draft the top player on our board despite what position. Fill the other needs we cant from the draft.

I also love the kid from Penn State. Cooks type clone. Better route runner. I think Staley learned a bit from McVey's offensive philosophy. 3 wide 80% of the time. Play action. I think we start to do more of that.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

I'm going with Cal Adomitis, Long Snapper out of Pittsburgh. 6-2, 235, 4.9 40 time.

Comment

• equivocation
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2021
                  • Send PM

Depending on how the draft plays out:

Cross
                  WR
                  Edge
                  Db

In that order.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post
                    If Jameson Williams is there at #17, he probably *is* the very best player available.

The Chargers would find ways to use him, and he'd position the team to be prepared when Keenan Allen leaves after two or three more years.

But Williams would *not* shore up any current weakness.

So *that* is where Telesco has a choice to make.

(1) Draft a lesser talent?!?

(2) Explore trading down?!?

(3) Take a kick-ass receiver whom we have evaluated as superior to any other prospect remaining on out board?!?

A lot of things factor into the decision. Let's say Jordan Davis is an option at #17, but you rate him as a boom-or-bust guy.. That's a significant risk.

If, however, you believe that Jordan Davis could be a star, but has a floor of a B+ performance... That's much less of a risk. IMO, at least THREE players will be available at #17 that we'd be grateful to have. If one is head-and-shoulders above the others, Derwin James-like, you take him. If those three players are rated equally, then it would make sense to take the one that fills the biggest position of need.

If a QB is on the board at #17 that some other team is desperate enough to trade up for, you'd consider it only if a superior talent hadn't fallen to your spot.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Craig440 View Post

Is Penning anywhere near the stud RT that Slater is the LT? If so we should take him. There is no better weapon for Herbert than time to throw deep. So it depends on how good he is to me.
                      It's difficult to project, because Penning is a small college guy who's very athletically gifted... but shined against mostly inferior talent.

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

It's difficult to project, because Penning is a small college guy who's very athletically gifted... but shined against mostly inferior talent.
                        Also gimmicky offensive scheme that doesn't require pass blocking often.

Comment

Working...
                        X