• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I was on subs, its really not that cramped, and you just get used to it over time. If you are tall, you learn when to duck. You don't get a lot of personal space, just your rack storage and shared lockers, on the older boats you would need to walk on top of canned food for deployments, but that was in the 70's, and those boats are long decommisioned. If anything for most of the crew its like being in a 'spaceship', you don't have a sense of day or night if you are on patrol and submerged unless you look at a clock, or what is being served by the cooks, lol.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Thank you of course, I KNOW I wouldn't hack it in a sub.

Based on his descriptions, just very cramped.
      so his room has one rotating desk chair in the middle of his room and everything is accessible by rotating that chair.
      EVERYTHING.
      I'd go into more detail but frankly some of it is a bit more personal than I'd like to share.
      He would just tell us kids that everything had to be super efficient in the submarine, especially as a cook.
      he started his career as a cook in a submarine and actually cooked for Nixon at the white house for a bit.
      Yep...sub life would be tough...makes me think of that scene from Das Boot:

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Great story. I love these kinds of stories.

I've told the story of my father here before. I knew very little about my father when he died in 1973 when I was 15. He struggled with alcoholism and PTSD and was a hard man.

1nH5qhy-QdlPyI9mOns2TcSrKSR-tVZYppdp9nCOJAY.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=e0bee528249394947a4ab9f1e5e0062d7860df24.png

Here is also a video about the Dieppe Raid, narrated by Alex Trebek, who was Canadian.

Thanks for this story. I've become something of a history fan in my later years which had surprised me.
        You might enjoy "And No Birds Sang" by Farley Mowat. A Canadian officer and later author who served in Sicily in WWII.
        Currently reading "Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant" and find it connects a lot of dots.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...sub life would be tough...makes me think of that scene from Das Boot:
          Much rather be there than on a skimmer in a shooting war. But death wouldn't be slow in a boat that is deep... if they could find ya.

Seriously, the US Submarine Force has the smartest, best trained sailors in the world, and the best equipment..and food. It was hard in WWII, we really appreciate those guys, real heroes.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Much rather be there than on a skimmer in a shooting war. But death wouldn't be slow in a boat that is deep... if they could find ya.

Seriously, the US Submarine Force has the smartest, best trained sailors in the world, and the best equipment..and food. It was hard in WWII, we really appreciate those guys, real heroes.
            My Uncle Bert was an officer in the submarine corps during WWII. I never had a chance to to talk to him about it. He owned service stations on the Peninsula south of San Francisco after the war. He died about 1980. He loved cigars and got throat cancer. I will have to ask my cousin what he knows about this father's war.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

I don't see a Father's day thread so just wanted to post a pic of what my Wife brought me this morning.
                After our talks about Roberto's, I thought id show off a bit lol

PXL_20220619_163155935.jpg
                11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
                225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st ➡️ 253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Delicious...

Happy Father's Day to all the real dad's out there
                  Thankless job but by far the most meaningful one.

Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

My Uncle Bert was an officer in the submarine corps during WWII. I never had a chance to to talk to him about it. He owned service stations on the Peninsula south of San Francisco after the war. He died about 1980. He loved cigars and got throat cancer. I will have to ask my cousin what he knows about this father's war.
                    US Grant met a similar end. He enjoyed cigars and became very popular during & after the War Between the States. Fans sent him hundreds of boxes. He wrote his Memoirs while dying of cancer.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Happy Father's Day!

Comment

• Fleet 1
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kauai
                        • Send PM

360_F_110725612_4HXGkBTga0GHUtNbHDEWnaViX8htWJOQ.jpeg

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                          US Grant met a similar end. He enjoyed cigars and became very popular during & after the War Between the States. Fans sent him hundreds of boxes. He wrote his Memoirs while dying of cancer.
                          Yep, he worked as hard as he could to finish his memoirs before he died. I read it a number of years ago. After defeating Lee and the Confederacy on the battlefield, he was a two-term president. He was considered by many to be the most admired man of 19th century America. His memoir teaches us a lot about the 19th century and the Civil War. His presidency had some problems, but it didn't stick to him, he was considered too trusting and people took advantage.

Comment

Working...
                          X