• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet 1
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Kauai
    • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
    For those that know my history, I have some really good news...

I'm gonna be Grandad! My daughter is due in early December and so far (knock on wood) her pregnancy has been routine. :More Q Please:
    From Cancer to Motherhood. MOJO BABY!!!!!! Congrats to you and your family. Might as well just name the chid MOJO.

Comment

• captaind
      Cook This Pork Chops
      • Jun 2013
      • Mars
      • Ball Holder
      • Send PM

I'm gonna be Grandad! My daughter is due in early December and so far (knock on wood) her pregnancy has been routine. :More Q Please:
      Congrats, Mako! So happy for you. :cheers:

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Congrats, you'll enjoy being a grandpa, it's way easier than being Daddy. I'm going to be a great-grandpa in Feb. - I already have three greats! Life is good, even at this age.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• MakoShark
          Disgruntled
          • Jun 2013
          • North Alabama
          • Send PM

Thanks everyone! Daughter and baby are doing well so far.
          sigpic

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

On this day 80 years ago, my father (hands raised), a sergeant in the Canadian Army, was captured in German-occupied France at Dieppe, a port city on the Normandy coast, during an ill-fated raid that was doomed before it started. He was a POW for most of the next three years.

300161918_5982402281789033_8251954684000038189_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=Mph64HBrKowAX-OhdCU&tn=DWCgRRNW8wTl2WgS&_nc_ht=scontent.fsac1-2.fna&oh=00_AT_mGw_inKAaX4V9fwR5_cJm2647vqzDcWvgajWMoNIo3g&oe=63037C3

Comment

• Fleet 1
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Kauai
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              On this day 80 years ago, my father (hands raised), a sergeant in the Canadian Army, was captured in German-occupied France at Dieppe, a port city on the Normandy coast, during an ill-fated raid that was doomed before it started. He was a POW for most of the next three years.

300161918_5982402281789033_8251954684000038189_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=Mph64HBrKowAX-OhdCU&tn=DWCgRRNW8wTl2WgS&_nc_ht=scontent.fsac1-2.fna&oh=00_AT_mGw_inKAaX4V9fwR5_cJm2647vqzDcWvgajWMoNIo3g&oe=63037C3
              Wow man. That is a heavy pic. I have no words. If hes still with you thank him for his service.

Comment

• MakoShark
                Disgruntled
                • Jun 2013
                • North Alabama
                • Send PM

wow, indeed. Tough man to survive something like that.
                sigpic

Comment

• Craig440
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Send PM

Wow is right. What a photo and story. God bless him.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

Wow man. That is a heavy pic. I have no words. If hes still with you thank him for his service.
                    Thank you Fleet. My father died in hospital in 1973 when I was teenager. He survived this and had another 30 years of life, marrying and having a family. He had his demons (alcohol) but he was luckier than a lot of his regiment, which was wiped out on the beach. The Germans killed more than 900 on the beach that day The British navy was not able to evacuate them off the beach. The Luftwaffe got the best of the RAF and gained control of the airspace over the battle, and began dive-bombing the landing craft with their new Focke-Wulf 190s. So my dad and the surviving Canadians had to surrender. It was brutal, but he survived and made it home. So many of his men didn't make it. This photo was shot by a German battle photographer. The Nazis liked to document everything. The complete failure of this raid was a great propaganda coup for them. Five years ago I went to Dieppe for the 75th anniversary of the battle. There was a photo board set up on the beach with hundreds of pics of the battle pinned to it. My sis found this pic, immediately recognizable because I resemble my father very closely.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kauai
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Thank you Fleet. My father died in hospital in 1973 when I was teenager. He survived this and had another 30 years of life, marrying and having a family. He had his demons (alcohol) but he was luckier than a lot of his regiment, which was wiped out on the beach. The Germans killed more than 900 on the beach that day The British navy was not able to evacuate them off the beach. The Luftwaffe got the best of the RAF and gained control of the airspace over the battle, and began dive-bombing the landing craft with their new Focke-Wulf 190s. So my dad and the surviving Canadians had to surrender. It was brutal, but he survived and made it home. So many of his men didn't make it. This photo was shot by a German battle photographer. The Nazis liked to document everything. The complete failure of this raid was a great propaganda coup for them. Five years ago I went to Dieppe for the 75th anniversary of the battle. There was a photo board set up on the beach with hundreds of pics of the battle pinned to it. My sis found this pic, immediately recognizable because I resemble my father very closely.
                      I know the history of that. Those brave men. Your dad did the best he could to cope with that. Im sure you know that. This is an amazing story thank you for sharing that. I had no idea.

I raise my glass to them. All of them.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Things were learned and applied to D-Day.

I thought of your father and comrades, Velo, while watching "Dunkirk" in IMAX.

You don't know ball

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

I know the history of that. Those brave men. Your dad did the best he could to cope with that. Im sure you know that. This is an amazing story thank you for sharing that. I had no idea.

I raise my glass to them. All of them.
                          A friend sent this to from Dieppe today. The unveiling of the U.S. Army Ranger Memorial on the main landing beach. Dieppe was the first combat action by the U.S. Army Rangers. They had been formed just two months earlier. My dad was a U.S. citizen and was given the opportunity to switch to the U.S. Army and join the inaugural Ranger battalion. He was a sergeant and had undergone extensive commando training in the months before the Dieppe raid; he would've been a good fit. But he had been in the Canadian army for two years and didn't want to bail on his regiment and his men. So he remained with the Canadians.

300530248_10166698797175192_2996625154578241693_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=XA-QRcbiDfwAX-sZZe4&_nc_ht=scontent.fsac1-1.fna&oh=00_AT-v2q4OaAMrf-QpEqYsGacVM3nwNySvlQ-XztAWv_g1pw&oe=6304C6CE.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍