POLL: Will TT Pick Up Tillery's 5th Year Option?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Two teams announced they were picking up the 5th year option for 2019 1st round players:

QB Kyler Murray/Cardinals
    DT Jeffrey Simmons/Titans

The Giants are kinda in same the boat with QB Daniel Jones that the Chargers are with Tillery. They don't want to give up on him just yet, but they don't want to give him a bunch of guaranteed money either.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Two teams announced they were picking up the 5th year option for 2019 1st round players:

QB Kyler Murray/Cardinals
      DT Jeffrey Simmons/Titans

The Giants are kinda in same the boat with QB Daniel Jones that the Chargers are with Tillery. They don't want to give up on him just yet, but they don't want to give him a bunch of guaranteed money either.
      Except that Jones has had a few good games, and is a QB, a position that is a lot harder to fill (and it's not like IDL are a dime a dozen).

The 5th year option is not about "want". Want has nothing to do with it. The 5th year option forces teams to make a decision, which is what we need.

It's not like I think Tillery doesn't know he sucks. No one chooses to be a bad player. But he has to pick his game up. He is actually close to having the technique of a really good player, but ... he has been that way for a while. The team is in a situation where Tillery can be a great inside player that compliments Mack and Bosa, but he has got to stop letting the other team hit him first and knock him into the next county.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Just no. If he should suddenly correct all that ails him, try and pay him market value. If too much then so what.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
          Fluent in Sarcasm
          • Jun 2013
          • Iowa
          • Man of the People
          • Send PM

I genuinely think Pipkins is closer to developing into a positive contributor than Tillery is. If Tillery worked as hard in the offseason as he does after the whistle to hit QBs then I maybe I could see it but he just doesn’t seem to have any drive to improve himself. I sure hope we don’t pick up his option.

Comment

• Chargerfreak
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2018
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Staley will weigh in and he won’t care about saving face if he can upgrade the position.

I would say this is Tillery’s last season as a Charger unless he steps up his game quite a bit.
            It's a prove it year for sure. Telesco, not Staley, said he is getting a bigger role this year. He has to execute.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargerfreak View Post

It's a prove it year for sure. Telesco, not Staley, said he is getting a bigger role this year. He has to execute.
              That's interesting....i haven't heard this.

One imagines Staley is on board with it.

If true, bye - bye to Jordan Davis......who might not make it to 17 anyhow.

Comment

• Chargerfreak
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

That's interesting....i haven't heard this.

One imagines Staley is on board with it.

If true, bye - bye to Jordan Davis......who might not make it to 17 anyhow.
                “Jerry had a really nice role for us last year,” Telesco said, per The Athletic’s Daniel Popper. “I expect an even bigger role this year. We’ll figure the contract stuff out after the draft.”

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargerfreak View Post

“Jerry had a really nice role for us last year,” Telesco said, per The Athletic’s Daniel Popper. “I expect an even bigger role this year. We’ll figure the contract stuff out after the draft.”
                  Pretty non-committal.

Comment

• Caslon
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

Squat does as squat is.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

The Giants have just declined to pick up the 5th year option on QB Daniel Jones. I think this compares to the Tillery situation - a 1st round player who hasn't delivered what was expected, but still may have some potential the team doesn't want to give up on. But the Giants didn't want to pay Jones a bunch of guaranteed money, they want Jones to prove his value in 2022, then decide whether to offer him a new contract, or franchise-tag him. I think the same applies to Tillery. No 5th year option and the guaranteed money, prove to us in 2022 you are worth a 2nd contract.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                        The Giants have just declined to pick up the 5th year option on QB Daniel Jones. I think this compares to the Tillery situation - a 1st round player who hasn't delivered what was expected, but still may have some potential the team doesn't want to give up on. But the Giants didn't want to pay Jones a bunch of guaranteed money, they want Jones to prove his value in 2022, then decide whether to offer him a new contract, or franchise-tag him. I think the same applies to Tillery. No 5th year option and the guaranteed money, prove to us in 2022 you are worth a 2nd contract.
                        Yep...makes sense...so play him this year, but prove yer worth...or after this upcoming season, if he gets a better offer from another team, adios...

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Slightly shocking that the Raiders had three 1st round picks in 2019, and they are declining the 5th year option on all three, even Josh Jacobs. The other players are DE Clelin Ferrell and S Jonathon Abrams. It was the first draft for Mike Mayock under Gruden. I remember when they selected Ferrell with the No. 4 overall pick, pundits were appalled. Ferrell had a bottom of the first round grade, at best, and with the Raiders' three 1st round picks, they could have gotten much later, and used the No. 4 overall pick on Devin Bush, whom Mayock passed over. I remember Mayock vociferously defending the Ferrell pick, but Ferrell has been a complete and total bust, a bigger bust than Tillery.

Abrams was the No. 27 pick, and also has been a disappointment. He's decent in run support but can't cover to save his life.

The got Jacobs at No. 24. He has had some injury issues, but he made the Pro Bowl in 2020 and has averaged 1,000 yds per season and scored 28 TDs in his three seasons. He can be a beast when he's healthy. I am really surprised they decided not to pick up his option.

Ferrell was supposed to replace Kahlil Mack, but it was actually their 2019 4th rd pick - Maxx Crosby - that has come the closest to fulfilling that. They also drafted Hunter Renfroe in the 5th round in 2019.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍