POLL: Will TT Pick Up Tillery's 5th Year Option?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

POLL: Will TT Pick Up Tillery's 5th Year Option?

With a hat tip to Velo, do you think Tom Telesco going to pick up the 5th year option on Jerry Tillery? Telesco has until Monday (May 2) to decide. Tillery would make $10.753 mil in 2023 guaranteed under the 5th year option (His 2022 salary would be guaranteed too I think.), according to this source: https://nfltraderumors.co/2023-fifth...ption-tracker/
    Yes
    6.38%
    No
    93.62%

The poll is expired.

• Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Tillery has competition this year at IDL.
    Depending of the draft, his situation could be even worse.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

I say no. TT will not pick up Tillery's 5th year option, based on Tillery's performance in his first three seasons. Telesco has to make the decision in the next few days, and I believe Tillery's 2022 and 23 salaries would be guaranteed. He is set to earn just over $2 mil this season; if Telesco picks up the option, Tillery would get paid $13 mil for his 2022 & 23 salaries. He has not earned that, IMO.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
        Tillery has competition this year at IDL.
        Depending of the draft, his situation could be even worse.
        The thing is, Telesco has to make the decision on Tillery's 5th year option by Monday. If he picks up the option, Tiller's 2022 and 23 salaries are guaranteed, they are stuck with him.

Comment

• Craig440
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

I said no also. I'm not sure of the rules but if we don't pick it up that makes this a contract year for him right? And if he kicks a## we can give him a new contract next year right?

Comment

• Maniaque 6
            French Speaking Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Québec city
            • Send PM

The draft is April 28
            The decision is for May 2 or 3
            Conclusion ?

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Craig440 View Post
              I said no also. I'm not sure of the rules but if we don't pick it up that makes this a contract year for him right? And if he kicks a## we can give him a new contract next year right?
              Correct. Let him earn it, or not, this season.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

I'm not all that happy with Tillery's play, but I voted yes, because with those key D-line FA signings lately, he's now a depth piece who may do better this year in a lighter rotation...he will at least help keep our D-line fresher than what we've seen...how many times did our D look gassed in the 4th quarter? If the Bolts can find a depth upgrade over Tillery, fine, cut him...if not, we may need him for depth...warts and all...

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  I'm not all that happy with Tillery's play, but I voted yes, because with those key D-line FA signings lately, he's now a depth piece who may do better this year in a lighter rotation...he will at least help keep our D-line fresher than what we've seen...how many times did our D look gassed in the 4th quarter? If the Bolts can find a depth upgrade over Tillery, fine, cut him...if not, we may need him for depth...warts and all...
                  If Telesco picks up the option, Tillery's salary for 2022 & 23 become guaranteed, so cutting him would not be an option. Spending that kind of guaranteed money on a depth option is not an option IMO, you don't want to spend that kind of money for depth. That is why I say Telesco won't pick up the option and Tillery will have to earn a 2nd contract based on his play this season.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

If Telesco picks up the option, Tillery's salary for 2022 & 23 become guaranteed, so cutting him would not be an option. Spending that kind of guaranteed money on a depth option is not an option IMO, you don't want to spend that kind of money for depth. That is why I say Telesco won't pick up the option and Tillery will have to earn a 2nd contract based on his play this season.
                    I guess u have a point there, Velo...$13 mil IS kind of high for a mediocre backup...I'm guessing the Bolts draft more D-line to make Tillery expendable...

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

If Telesco picks up Tillery's option, he should be fired.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

It doesn't mean they don't want Tillery...it's just that they're not going to guarantee him almost top dollar for average performance. No one's signing him for $14 mil no matter what so why guarantee him $11 mil when there is zero risk other than him just walking out of spite. Plenty of very good players can be had for $11 mil anywhere in the NFL.

:hello:
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                        X