Welcome Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College (R1, #17)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bearded14YourPleasure
    Fluent in Sarcasm
    • Jun 2013
    • Iowa
    • Man of the People
    • Send PM

After the JT Woods pick the lack of complaints in this thread really show you what a great pick this was.

Comment

• AK47
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

Just watched the Zion press conference. Woah blown away. Dude programs and knows how to code in Java. Impressive.

Comment

• Riverwalk
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

I was happy with Zion pick UNTIL I watched the tape on the third round tackle that blew Zion up. Anybody else see that during the draft? I was thinking Chargers should have drafted the defensive lineman and not Zion.

We drafted a first round guard who got rag dolled by a third round defensive lineman. Way to go TT.

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
          I was happy with Zion pick UNTIL I watched the tape on the third round tackle that blew Zion up. Anybody else see that during the draft? I was thinking Chargers should have drafted the defensive lineman and not Zion.

We drafted a first round guard who got rag dolled by a third round defensive lineman. Way to go TT.
          And what’s the context of that match?

Comment

• WindsorUK
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Windsor, U.K.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
            Just watched the Zion press conference. Woah blown away. Dude programs and knows how to code in Java. Impressive.
            Why does he have to go all the way to Indonesia to code?:rofl:

( Sorry....I'm bored....)

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
              Fluent in Sarcasm
              • Jun 2013
              • Iowa
              • Man of the People
              • Send PM

Good call, nothing says a guy isn’t worth a first round pick like losing a single practice rep.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

It’s the way he lost it. Picked up and thrown on his ass like a 90 lb girl by the 20th rated DL. Good luck versus NFL caliber talent.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

It’s the way he lost it. Picked up and thrown on his ass like a 90 lb girl by the 20th rated DL. Good luck versus NFL caliber talent.
                  Do you have a clip of that rep? Seriously, it's not one I have seen.

I have just seen the clips of him kicking everyone else asses around the field. Both at BC and the senior bowl. Just saying.

Even Steve Atwater got run over by Christian Okyoe.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Do you have a clip of that rep? Seriously, it's not one I have seen.

I have just seen the clips of him kicking everyone else asses around the field. Both at BC and the senior bowl. Just saying.

Even Steve Atwater got run over by Christian Okyoe.
                    He's talking about the Travis Jones clip from senior bowl practice.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

Again, a single rep lost. Feiler got his ass kicked repeatedly by Darius f-n Philon both times we played the Raiders last year, I guess we need 2 starting OGs still…

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I’ve seen Ekeler trip on his own feet.

Comment

• Xenos
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Johnson, a ready-made guard who could play tackle on the right roster, has the talent and versatility to carve out a long NFL career.

NFL Draft 2022: What Boston College OL Zion Johnson brings to the Los Angeles Chargers

By Matt Fortuna
                          Apr 28, 2022

From Davidson to Boston College, from guard to tackle to guard to tackle to guard (seriously), a common theme has emerged with Zion Johnson: consistent dominance.

Johnson, selected 17th overall in the 2022 NFL Draft by the Chargers, earned first-team All-Pioneer honors during his final season with the Wildcats, helping them lead the FCS in rushing that season (442.9 YPG). He earned second-, third- and first-team All-ACC honors in each of his respective years with BC, where he never played the same position in consecutive years.

Johnson made seven different All-America teams in 2021, and his stock continued to rise throughout the pre-draft process, particularly at the NFL combine, where he led all offensive linemen by posting 32 reps on the bench-press. (And he did it barefoot, for whatever that is worth.) He impressed NFL evaluators throughout Senior Bowl week as well.

Johnson’s flexibility is undoubtedly attractive, as he is a ready-made guard who could project to tackle on the right roster. The 6-foot-3 Maryland native played at 316 pounds in college and was able to easily overpower ACC defensive linemen, while displaying great hand movement. It’s also worth remembering that Johnson had four different O-line coaches in five years at the college level, so he has seen it all.

Dane Brugler on Zion Johnson (No. 1 OG, No. 22 overall prospect in The Beast)
                          Johnson lined up at left guard in former offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti’s zone-based (inside/outside) scheme. He has a stout, developed body type with the patience and placement to plant and re-leverage himself to stay centered as a pass blocker. In the run game, he shows off his body control and drive strength to execute from various angles. HE will occasionally lose his balance, but Johnson’s combination of play strength, muscle twitch and reaction skills help him sustain as both a pass and run blocker. He has the talent to carve out a decade-long career as an interior NFL blocker.

Top college highlight
                          Johnson was at his best in the ACC opener at Clemson last season. The game stats may not show that — BC lost a close one, and the Tigers tallied four sacks — but this was easily the toughest test Johnson faced all season, and it’s the tape that was looked at most by NFL scouts. He was never beaten 1-on-1, he always forced his man out of the picture and he often helped his linemates amid a barrage of the Tigers’ stunts and blitzes.

What you may have missed
                          Davidson ran a triple-option offense, a system that forced Johnson to showcase his talents on both sides of the offensive line, and a stark contrast from what he ended up playing in at BC (and from what he will play in at the NFL level). Johnson would sometimes switch positions in-game with the Wildcats, depending on the package.

Superlative
                          Johnson allowed just one sack in 2,288 career snaps with the Eagles, and, per ESPN Stats and Info, allowed zero pressures during his final college season.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍