Welcome Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College (R1, #17)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Penning signed his rookie deal, hopefully Zion (and the rest of the rookies) get signed too (even though it really doesn't matter until Training Camp.)

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Entire draft classes have already signed so maybe TT still has a move he’s making first? :shock:

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
        The 1988 draft had some similarities to the 2022 draft. Both were receiver heavy.

The 1988 Chargers were awful-- it was the Al Saunders Era, need I say more?-- and the team needed the best foundational players it could get.

The Chargers had the 15th pick. Tim Brown, Sterling Sharpe, and Michael Irvin had already been selected by the time the Chargers were on the clock in Round 1.

The Bolts selected Anthony Miller.

I was writing for Chargers Football Weekly at the time, and had the opportunity to interview Coach Saunders. I asked him the reasoning behind taking Anthony Miller instead of, say, OG Randall McDaniel, who went to the Vikings four picks later at #19 overall (and who is in the Hall of Fame today.)

Saunders' response: "Fans like to see exciting players".

In other words, selling tickets was more important than building a good team. And... AS IF having a GOOD TEAM wouldn't tell tickets in itself!

In 2022, there were plenty of receivers the Bolts could have targeted at #17. But fortunately, the current administration is more interested in acquiring foundational pieces than flashy ones. No doubt in my mind that Zion Johnson is an outstanding addition to the Bolts.
        I used to get my Chargers Football Weekly at Tio Leo’s. I always enjoyed it.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I used to get my Chargers Football Weekly at Tio Leo’s. I always enjoyed it.
          OMG, Tio Leo's on Mira Mesa Blvd? Too funny! Tio Leo's was one of CFW's long-running sponsors.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Comment

• Craig440
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I like him. Sounds smart and like a cool guy. Plus look at those biceps.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

OMG, Tio Leo's on Mira Mesa Blvd? Too funny! Tio Leo's was one of CFW's long-running sponsors.
                I always got it in Grantsville or Morena Ave.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                  Entire draft classes have already signed so maybe TT still has a move he’s making first? :shock:
                  Maybe but I don't think when the rookies get signed means anything. TC isn't til July and their deals will be the same.
                  11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                  35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                  37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                  66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                  69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                  105 Brenden Rice WR - USC
                  110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                  140 Hunter Nourzad OC - Penn st
                  181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
                  225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Maybe but I don't think when the rookies get signed means anything. TC isn't til July and their deals will be the same.
                    True. I think the CBA does protect the drafted rookies before they sign their deals for injury before Training Camp, but once TC starts, they do have to be signed in order to practice. I would think the agents have 'financial advisors' lined up to loan out based on their projected salary for the needy or stupid.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

True. I think the CBA does protect the drafted rookies before they sign their deals for injury before Training Camp, but once TC starts, they do have to be signed in order to practice. I would think the agents have 'financial advisors' lined up to loan out based on their projected salary for the needy or stupid.
                      What was glitch with Woods not practicing due to contract detail?

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

L.A. Chargers sign first-round pick guard Zion Johnson

Los Angeles Chargers offensive lineman Zion Johnson gets help from a coach during an NFL football rookie mini camp Friday, May 13, 2022, in Costa Mesa, Calif. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)
                        (Marcio Jose Sanchez / Associated Press)
                        ASSOCIATED PRESS
                        MAY 27, 2022 12:09 PM PT
                        COSTA MESA, Calif. —

The Los Angeles Chargers concluded the first week of organized team activities with first-round pick Zion Johnson signing his rookie contract.

The Chargers announced the deal Firday with the guard getting a standard four-year deal with the team holding a fifth-year option.

The 17th overall pick in last month’s NFL draft, Johnson is expected to be the starter at right guard when the Chargers open the season at home against the Las Vegas Raiders on Sept. 11.

Coach Brandon Staley said Monday that they expect Johnson to develop quickly.

“He fits the style of lineman that we want. He was off to a good start out there. We just expect him to give it his best,” Staley said. “We know that he’s good enough. He will be able to improve because we know what he’s going to put into his game. We really feel like he’s going to be a tremendous asset for our offense.”

Johnson started 49 of his 58 career college games at Boston College (2019-21) and Davidson (2017-18). He was a first-team Associated Press All-America selection in 2021.

The Chargers have signed six of their eight draft picks. Safety JT Woods (third round) and running back Isaiah Spiller (fourth round) remain unsigned.

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

That’s a beautiful stance Zion is in. Pads low, beautifully centered, ready to drive forward or backwards, hands ready to engage. Beautiful.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X