X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
    So Chain are you then saying the countless hours of scouts, and player personnel evaluators, staley and TT are exceeded by the amount of time you have spent watching tape of Woods and these other athletes you mention?

im sure the answer is No. stick to your day job brother and stop the insanity. Its fine to have opinion and state it thus but let the professionals do their job. They have been scouting all these men for years and have a very clear idea of what they value and have it documented and reviewed many times over to come up with these decisions. This isnt done by the seat of the pants. Im smart enough to know these guys wouldnt attempt to do my day job because they arent trained at it nor have decades of experience at it…and know way do I claim to know their job and know better than them. Nobody likes a know-it-all….because nobody does.
    You have missed my position altogether. This has nothing to do with any big board I have created, so your comments about me "sticking to my day job" are totally misplaced.

My views have everything to do with the consensus weight of opinion of a multitude (in the hundreds) of NFL analysts (some of whom have NFL experience) versus one GM. While nothing is guaranteed, I recommend that our GM at least consider the possibility that the multitude is correct before wildly reaching for prospects on 5 separate occasions in 8 draft picks and possibly taking the lowest ranked player in three separate rounds of the draft.

I will continue to advocate for selecting players in their consensus range or later instead of our GM assuming he and only he knows better than everyone else and selecting players a round or more before their rank indicates they should be selected on 5 separate occasions in a single draft. It is just bad draft strategy on our team's part.

Frankly, I think a number of people on this forum have their heads in the sand about our draft. I see lots of bottom half of the league snap grades from pundits.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
      Outback Goon
      • Sep 2018
      • Australia
      • Send PM

remember Mike Mayock was respected draft pundit

when he became GM the picks became head scratchers.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I think Woods is a fine value pick.

The problem with so many S evaluations is how people evaluate skills of S.

Woods is a really poor fit for a Gus Bradley type of D. Even as a single high S. He doesn't fit. He really can't play SS in the Bradley D, where the SS is an extra LB type, who comes down and spends all the time in the box, where he is basically an extra LB. Woods is not a defender who can do much in the box. Guys who did well in Bradley's D are "static" zone guys, guys who wait in their area and let the defenders run to them. Woods is not that kind of guy, so for a lot of those type of D, he is a terrible pick. Classic cover 2 type D, he is a bad fit there too.

Woods is a Robber. Robber is the term for a deep S who lines up deep, then comes down into the low hole (deep in the underneath middle of the two hook zones) or turns and runs with the slot. Woods IS good at that. He is a deep alignment guy who needs to keep his hips open, reads the slots and crossing WR, TE and RB coming out of the backfield. He can come down into the slot, or stay deep and run with WR across the formation. He is a matchup zone guy that fits the split secondary much better than a classic 2 deep, Tampa 2 S.

You can't mix them and think most guys will be good at both.

he still needs to get more physical and gain confidence and tackle better. Tackling is a skill that improves dramatically for most players if they practice it a lot. They don't have to do live tackling all the time, that is how players get injured in practice. But you can work on fits, work on wrapping up, work on elements of tackling, and do it every single day. Even for just a few minutes, a day is a big help.

I know people love a consensus of the draft guru's, but I think that is mostly because all the guys are looking and TALKING to the same sources. The consensus comes from all the mock draft types finally getting around to talking to the same people, and that takes time for guys who are going hither and yonder working guys out. Watch the stuff on the internet and make up your own minds.

But I don't think there is any consensus among NFL teams. There is too much scheme diversity and too many different opinions in a team for that to happen. I think it is far more likely Kiper probably ends up talking to scouts, who, even if they don't work for the Ravens, have similar views philosophically, and are very traditional in their view of what players should look and play.

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Agree, our coach, GM, and scouts are idiots. They will rue the day they didn't listen to Chaincrusher!

Rue.jpg
          To be fair, they all have the same number of division titles and super bowl wins.
          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• equivocation
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2021
            • Send PM

Don't discount scheme fit. Ravens are getting credit for drafting both Linderbaum and Faalele, yet they fit in polar opposite schemes. What do they plan on doing with both?

Ted Nguyen is the secondary guy at The Athletic. He understands scheme, fit, and value much more than the various Walter's making big boards.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Watch just the first two snaps. I believe The Chargers front office fell in love with the way JT Woods played in-tandem with S Jalen Pitre on game-tape at Baylor. They were special together. Now, one Baylor safety gets to go be special with Derwin James. Yes, Coach Staley spent a third round pick on a nickel-or-dime player. That is true. But, Nasir Adderley is in the last year of his contract and this being a big year for Nasir, it's a insurance policy should Nasir decide to sign elsewhere.

Comment

• GetBolted
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2021
                • Butler, PA
                • Send PM

The more tape I see the more i see why they picked him. He processes changes really fast-and he is physically fluid throughout that change (IDK if that a left brain/right brain thing, but i do know they are very different things and not often present together) DB's often miss out on INT's b/c of their inability to make the mental change from defending the catch to making the catch-if that makes sense. He's got 'unconcious competency' in those transitions. I forget what its called, but kind of a 'scale of competency'. Unconcious Incompetency- (I suck, but i don't know it) Concious Incompetency (i suck and i know it). Concious competency-(im getting good at this but it takes intention and effort) Unconcious Competency-(I'm good but i cant tell you why). Not sure if my memory pulled that up correctlly, but at least close enough to get the point across. This is a 4:40 am observation so we'll see what it looks like in a few hours.:whistlin:

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I understood that, but I’m standing on my head.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by GetBolted View Post
                    The more tape I see the more i see why they picked him. He processes changes really fast-and he is physically fluid throughout that change (IDK if that a left brain/right brain thing, but i do know they are very different things and not often present together) DB's often miss out on INT's b/c of their inability to make the mental change from defending the catch to making the catch-if that makes sense. He's got 'unconcious competency' in those transitions. I forget what its called, but kind of a 'scale of competency'. Unconcious Incompetency- (I suck, but i don't know it) Concious Incompetency (i suck and i know it). Concious competency-(im getting good at this but it takes intention and effort) Unconcious Competency-(I'm good but i cant tell you why). Not sure if my memory pulled that up correctlly, but at least close enough to get the point across. This is a 4:40 am observation so we'll see what it looks like in a few hours.:whistlin:
                    I think the term here is "He's got great reflexes!"

:hello:
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• GetBolted
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2021
                      • Butler, PA
                      • Send PM

(125) The Untold Stories: JT Woods - YouTube

Nice interview

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                        Pretty much retired......
                        • Sep 2018
                        • JoJa
                        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                        • Send PM

I posted this elsewhere. It's a blurb from an article on The Athletic Daily from NFL "executives" It reads well for TT's choice.

“I think they got a steal in the third round with the safety,” an evaluator said. “Woods is similar to (Kevin) Byard at Tennessee. Rangy, has ball skills. He can be like a Justin Simmons. He runs under 4.4 and intercepts the ball. There were some good safeties in this draft — Daxton Hill, Lewis Cine, Woods — who could run. NFL safeties have to have range, and Woods has range.”

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
                          I posted this elsewhere. It's a blurb from an article on The Athletic Daily from NFL "executives" It reads well for TT's choice.

“I think they got a steal in the third round with the safety,” an evaluator said. “Woods is similar to (Kevin) Byard at Tennessee. Rangy, has ball skills. He can be like a Justin Simmons. He runs under 4.4 and intercepts the ball. There were some good safeties in this draft — Daxton Hill, Lewis Cine, Woods — who could run. NFL safeties have to have range, and Woods has range.”

JT Woods being mentioned with safeties taken in the 1st Round is heady praise indeed. Jalen Pitre and Bryan Cook were left out of the discussion and yet were drafted at a higher position than Woods.

I am inclined to agree with the author that the Chargers got a steal until proven otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                          X