• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

1:08 Watch this little jerk route Isaiah Spiller displays in his '21 Arkansas game.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

4:39 Arkansas. Spiller. House.

Interesting that in his collegiate career at Texas A&M, the Aggies were 18-3 when Spiller received 15 touches or more.

Comment

• Caslon
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

The Chargers already have a receiving RB in Ekeler. Not that many highlights of Spiller succeeding up the gut, or even off tackle for that matter. He’s rather tall fo be a power back. His blocking skills picking up blitzes has yet to be determined. Reminds me somewhat of a Rashad Penny who has had a mediocre RB career thus far. My excitement about him is only lukewarm. Not sure how good his O-line was. *Sigh* Yet another later round attempt at a RB. He’ll have to prove himself as a legit threat up the middle or off tackle, otherwise opposing LB’s will be all over his ass coming out off the backfield ala Ekeler.
        Last edited by Caslon; 06-01-2022, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• RTPbolt
          Charger Fan till the end
          • Jun 2013
          • North Carolina
          • Send PM

His OL certainly were getting worked badly on a number of those plays. Give him a better opportunity without the line being a sieve and maybe he can be a good 1 2 punch with Ek. He is certainly worth trying out as our dropoff after Ek was evident. He seems to have pretty good speed to the edge and pass catching skills. RB is one of the easier roles to come in as a rookie to add value so hopefully he can contribute and take some load off Ek to keep a fresh RB core thru the year. Im encouraged but need to see him play. He was highly rated and we didnt use much capital to get him…thats a win to me . Get him in camp and lets see him compete.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
            The Chargers already have a receiving RB in Ekeler. Not that many highlights of Spiller succeeding up the gut, or even off tackle for that matter. He’s rather tall fo be a power back. His blocking skills picking up blitzes has yet to be determined. Reminds me somewhat of a Rashad Penny who has had a mediocre RB career thus far. My excitement about him is only lukewarm. Not sure how good his O-line was. *Sigh* Yet another later round attempt at a RB. He’ll have to prove himself as a legit threat up the middle or off tackle, otherwise opposing LB’s will be all over his ass coming out off the backfield ala Ekeler.
            Its great if EVERY RB is a credible receiving threat. The question is not is Spiller the next AP, its is he better than Kelly and Rountree. we’re not getting a 1st round instant HOF candidate in the mid-4th., On this roster question, I am positive. he is not just an A-gap short yardage power back thumper - he is an all-around RB to alternate with / relieve Eke (or deploy Eke differently?). Horvath is their candidate for Agap thumper / FB.

Penny >>> Kelly+Rountree, his biggest problem has been injuries. He’s been a disappointment as a Rd1 pick, not sure everyone would say the same if he was taken mid-4th.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Caslon
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
              Penny >>> Kelly+Rountree, his biggest problem has been injuries. He’s been a disappointment as a Rd1 pick, not sure everyone would say the same if he was taken mid-4th.
              Why they kept HC Pete Caroll over Wilson is beyond me. Usually teams keep a franchise SB winning QB and fire the HC. The Seahawks had a dismal record last season, so how is this year not going to stink again? Afterwhich Pete Caroll will be canned. Bizarre.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Its great if EVERY RB is a credible receiving threat. The question is not is Spiller the next AP, its is he better than Kelly and Rountree. we’re not getting a 1st round instant HOF candidate in the mid-4th., On this roster question, I am positive. he is not just an A-gap short yardage power back thumper - he is an all-around RB to alternate with / relieve Eke (or deploy Eke differently?). Horvath is their candidate for Agap thumper / FB.

We had our own Penny - JJ and let him go. He's actually very talented but, like Penny, he can't stay on the field. Here's hoping we have better luck with Spiller.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

That's a good assessment, Roo. Spiller is a bigger, better version of Jackson. They are very similar players just Spiller is better in every category or measure. I think he will be a very good supplement to Ekeler and runs with more power than any of the Charger backs the last 3-4 seasons.

So, no one has signed Jackson? That suprises me. I never was sold on him because he was always injured just enough not to play but not enough to go on IR. So he wasted a roster spot a large part of his career. But he is a better RB than Kelly or Rountree and if was third in the rotation, not a bad cheap option. Not sure of his ST value and I know that would be a big factor. Kelly has been awful on ST. Rountree has been so so

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Anyone else catch what Lombardi said about Spiller in his presser yesterday?

Said he believes Spiller is still growing (physically) and hasn’t maxed out his frame. I believe they’re going to pack the pounds on him, maybe get him to like 225-230. They want that power compliment.
                    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Spiller is exactly the same height and weight as Melvin Gordon. Gordon was not exactly a power back, but he had enough size he could power through tackles and often did. Spiller clocked the 40 about a tenth of a second slower than Gordon, but he seems to possess Gordon's initial burst, which is what made Gordon successful. Spiller is also an upright runner, like Gordon, but he has moves that Gordon does not. Have you watched Spiller's video? Some of the moves he makes - the ability to stop and start on a dime, to juke defenders out of their underwear, it's LT-esque.

During his three prime years for the Chargers, Gordon averaged 996 yds rushing, 9.3 rushing TDs and 462 yds receiving and 3.3 receiving TDs per year. The last time the Chargers were in the playoffs, Gordon was in his prime splitting touches with Ekeler in 2018, the Chargers won 12 games.

When Gordon was in his prime, Ekeler was just getting started. Ekeler only blossomed into the outstanding player he is today after Gordon's departure. If Spiller can bring back some of what the offense had when Gordon was in his prime, this will be the most complete offense in the league.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

We had our own Penny - JJ and let him go. He's actually very talented but, like Penny, he can't stay on the field. Here's hoping we have better luck with Spiller.
                        JJ is still not signed to a team.

I really liked him when he was healthy but that just didnt happen often enough. I also think Lombardi and Staley like bigger RBs as why he wasnt brought back along with is injury history.
                        Ekeler is now the smallest RB we have but he is also aguably pound for pound the strongest guy on the team. Lombardi said yesterday that they liked Spillers size so they have drafted 3 RBs that are bigger type RBs though i wouldnt say they are big backs asside from Horvath.

Still would have loved to get Zamir White who ended up a Raider right in front of us.
                        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                        181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
                        225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st ➡️ 253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

Why they kept HC Pete Caroll over Wilson is beyond me. Usually teams keep a franchise SB winning QB and fire the HC. The Seahawks had a dismal record last season, so how is this year not going to stink again? Afterwhich Pete Caroll will be canned. Bizarre.
                          They’re going for a top pick in the draft. Losing counts.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X