• Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Originally posted by kgbpasha View Post
    Spiller will score a crucial game-deciding touchdown in this season's Super Bowl.
    You heard it hear first.
    subscribe

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

From the Athletic - he still isn't all the way healthy:

Isaiah Spiller waiting for a chance

Running back Isaiah Spiller had big plans for his rookie season after the Chargers drafted him in the fourth round in the spring. He knew the organization was looking for a second back to take some of the load off Austin Ekeler, and he felt he could seize that opportunity in training camp.

In the second preseason game, though, Spiller suffered an ankle injury that knocked him out for 10 days, including the preseason finale.

Spiller has been inactive for the Chargers’ first five games.

“It was a big setback for me, just being out, not getting a full preseason and a full training camp,” Spiller said. “That played a big part. And then also the time I had to sit out just to recover. That kind of set me back a lot, so I’ve just been working through that.”

Spiller said this week that it was the first significant injury he had suffered in his career. He did not miss a game in three college seasons at Texas A&M, so this was an entirely new process for him.

“I ain’t never really experienced (anything like that),” he said. “So it was kind of a lot at the moment, and I had aspirations this year. So I felt like that kind of held me back. But I think it was good for me. Gave me time to really think and assess and really get back to where I was, and even better than what I was before.”

Isaiah Spiller hopes to see his first regular-season action Monday night. (Gary A. Vasquez / USA Today)

Spiller said he is “90 to 95” percent healthy as the Chargers prepare for the Broncos. But the time he spent recovering moved him down the depth chart. Joshua Kelley has emerged as the best option behind Ekeler. And the Chargers signed Sony Michel in late August as insurance after Spiller’s injury. Michel is getting the active spot on game days because of his experience and capability in pass protection. Kelley, too, has been performing well as a core special teams player.

“There’s always those what-ifs and frustration behind it, especially dealing with something you never dealt with,” Spiller said. “So just working through that and trying to stay positive.”

Spiller said the coaching staff has told him he needs to prove himself on special teams to earn that active game-day spot.

“Just trying to get better and hopefully be an asset to the team whenever they call me up and be ready when my number is called,” Spiller said. “That’s what I’ve been focusing on.”

Comment

• Riverwalk
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

90-95% healthy? Good lord….there isn’t one active player that’s played this season that’s 100%.

Everybody plays dinged up. Man up!

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

He has negative yardage on his only carry so far. The run game is so bad.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Chargers should be prohibited from drafting RB’s only bring in the undrafted ones :facepalm1:

Comment

• Boltgang74
              We Are The Storm!
              • Aug 2018
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
              He has negative yardage on his only carry so far. The run game is so bad.
              So he got one carry with this shit o line to show what he is capable of?Wow.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2021
                • Carlsbad, CA
                • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                • Send PM

Time to elevate him to RB2 over Michel.

Comment

• Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I just don't get it. RB is historically one of the most easy positions to make an impact as a rookie and this guy can't even see the field?

Does he just look completely lost in practice?
                  ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                    I just don't get it. RB is historically one of the most easy positions to make an impact as a rookie and this guy can't even see the field?

He has missed a ton of time due to his high ankle sprain. By his own admission last week he wasn't back healthy yet so I am sure it set him back.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I'm with Rich. Read any interview with Spiller and his injury and the time lost in camp, is the takeaway. I'm counting him at this point. Remember, Darren Sproles
                      broke his leg his rookie season in preseason but Marty placed him on IR, in 2005.

Point is, a lost season did not effect Darren Sproles' career.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Utah
                        • Midnight Toker
                        • Send PM

I don't know why but I have a feeling this kid is going to take a big step forward this year.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
                          I don't know why but I have a feeling this kid is going to take a big step forward this year.
                          Could be indigestion . . . . . . . ?

Comment

Working...
                          X