Welcome Jamaree Salyer, OL, Georgia (R6, #195)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    I don’t think it has anything with Feiler helping out line calls. That’s primarily Herbert and Linsley now. I think they really like how good the left side was last year and don’t want to ruin what they had. And they obviously feel that IOL protection is more important than edge protection, which is why they want Feiler, Linsley, and Zion as the IOL.
    I’m certainly no coach and perhaps I’m imagining things and what the hell do I know, I'm just sitting on my rear watching charger games. But to me it seemed that feiler struggled with shorter squat IDL last year. He’s almost 6’ 7” tall and IOL tend to be in the 6’3” to 6’5” range with a lower center of gravity. To me it just looks like he’s playing out of position and making it work because he's very strong, technically sound, and experienced. But I don’t feel it's the best fit that gets the most out of his talent. There were 2-3 games that he really struggled last year, darius effin philon ate his lunch twice last year and there was another game, was it the cincy or philly game? I can’t remember but the shorter DTs give him fits…he’s a big tall guy he needs room to work out in space use his size and agility to his advantage. On top of that his RT tape is so darn good I salivate when I see it wondering why in the hell we can’t have that on our team when the player is sitting right there on the roster?

I sincerely hope pipkins is as improved as they’re saying. I got nothing against the kid and will always root for players to realize their full potential. I just hope it doesn’t come at Herbert’s expense.
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I’m certainly no coach and perhaps I’m imagining things and what the hell do I know, I'm just sitting on my rear watching charger games. But to me it seemed that feiler struggled with shorter squat IDL last year. He’s almost 6’ 7” tall and IOL tend to be in the 6’3” to 6’5” range with a lower center of gravity. To me it just looks like he’s playing out of position and making it work because he's very strong, technically sound, and experienced. But I don’t feel it's the best fit that gets the most out of his talent. There were 2-3 games that he really struggled last year, darius effin philon ate his lunch twice last year and there was another game, was it the cincy or philly game? I can’t remember but the shorter DTs give him fits…he’s a big tall guy he needs room to work out in space use his size and agility to his advantage. On top of that his RT tape is so darn good I salivate when I see it wondering why in the hell we can’t have that on our team when the player is sitting right there on the roster?

I sincerely hope pipkins is as improved as they’re saying. I got nothing against the kid and will always root for players to realize their full potential. I just hope it doesn’t come at Herbert’s expense.
      Nice assessment, really looking forward to how these pieces fit together. Two rookie OG?

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Someone pointed this out earlier.....the person campaigning to bring in a guard and have Feiler moved to OT.

There is still a better than outside shot that Storm will man the hatches at RT this year.
        Unlike Tillery being hazed by Mannyweather, Storm is sipping Mai Tais at Huntington Beach and having a good time,
        saving his body for battle.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Someone pointed this out earlier.....the person campaigning to bring in a guard and have Feiler moved to OT.

There is still a better than outside shot that Storm will man the hatches at RT this year.
          Unlike Tillery being hazed by Mannyweather, Storm is sipping Mai Tais at Huntington Beach and having a good time,
          saving his body for battle.
          I want to be Storm when I grow up.

Comment

• Parcells
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Can't believe we got this guy in the 6th. I'd have been good with him in the third and great with him in the fourth.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

What a weekend for the trenchers. Fan reaction is going to be to re-juggle the offensive line:

LT - Slater
              LG - Z. Johnson
              C - Linsley
              RG - Salyer
              RT - Matt Feiler

But Trey Pipkens is working out with Slater in this off-season.

Second, I'll paraphrase Coach Staley, he said the team is not done in his presser, meaning RT. Said it was something they didn't have an opportunity to address in the draft rounds. The front office knows camp cuts are coming, or releases or even trades in acquiring a RT. Or UDFA RT phenom.

Perhaps they just didn't think anybody was the guy at RT. That said, I don't think the Chargers are done.

The Los Angeles Chargers guards would make Marty Schottenheimer proud.

Jamaree.png

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Kirby Smart runs a pro-style defense, with stunting and overloads concepts. OG Jamaree Salyer practiced against that talent level and concepts, and came out of the program a captain.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

So, who’s the most improved offensive lineman in the eyes of Kirby Smart? Look no further than Jamaree Salyer

So, who’s Georgia’s most improved offensive lineman in the eyes of head coach Kirby Smart?

Look no further than sophomore Jamaree Salyer.

Originally though to be a candidate at center and left guard, the former Pace Academy standout has actually seen much of his time on the right side of the offensive line—seeing action at both right tackle and right guard.

Smart has been thoroughly impressed.

Speaking after Georgia’s fourth day of spring practice, Smart singled out the 6-foot-4, 325-pounder for the work he’s seen thus far.

“The biggest jump has been that guy. You kept waiting on it, because you knew he was a really talented player. But I haven't seen the Jamaree I've seen this spring, I didn't see that at all last fall,” Smart said. “He's challenging some guys. He's making other guys work hard. I didn't know if the guy could be a right tackle. He's gone out at tackle and played well. He's gone out at right guard and played well. He goes to center and blocks Jordan Davis, and you start going, 'Who is that? That's Jamaree!' 'Well, who's the guard?' 'It's Jamaree.' So Jamaree has done some good things. We gave him some looks today with the 1s, and we'll continue to do that if he continues to play well.”

A former five-star performer, Salyer played in all 14 games for the Bulldogs last fall, but wasn’t quite able to break into the starting lineup.

Although he’s still working mostly second team, Smart seemed to indicate Salyer is ready to take on much more responsibility.

“I'd say he is, after three or four practices, our most improved offensive lineman. Now it's not center,” Smart said. “He's working at center some, but he's working at right tackle and right guard (mainly) and, let me tell you something, he's played quick.”

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

I think he's got a spot on our roster just due to his flexibility and the accolades from players and coaches.
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

According to the reports, head coach Kirby Smart went to bat for Salyer as he called the Chargers and convinced them to draft him. It wasn’t about him getting to 13 draft picks, because those things don’t matter to Smart. He wanted the Chargers to get a solid offensive lineman, and Smart knows how good this young man is.

Salyer is everything an NFL team wants in an offensive guard. Despite most grading him to go on Day 2, sometimes those things are wrong. Regardless Salyer will battle for a starting role with the Chargers and will be someone who makes a lot of money in the NFL.

https://dawnofthedawg.com/2022/04/30/georgia-football-jamaree-salyer-2022-nfl-draft-chargers/

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/nfl-dawgs/jamaree-salyer-2022-nfl-draft-georgia-football-los-angeles-chargers-sixth-round/EJUIL5Y5XFHBHJ4HB5ZUJJAPWI/

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

"There was a defensive end who went off the board Friday night he basically dribbled on the field when they met last season."
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Is it a little concerning to anyone else that Smart had to be on the phone selling Salyer to Tom at the 11th hour of round 6?!?
                          haha
                          and of course it had nothing tk do with breaking the Georgia record of having 13 Bulldogs drafted.

Idk who this reflects worse on....
                          Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

Working...
                          X