Welcome Zander Horvath, FB, Purdue (R7, #260)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet 1
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Kauai
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Our offense is a combination of NO, SF, and GB all of whom utilize FB in multiple ways, and coincidentally all 3 of those teams have connections to the guys you mentioned. I don’t think Horvath is guaranteed to get touches every game but I wouldn’t be surprised if he finished the season with 20-40 total touches/targets either.
    I just remember all those Kuhn TD poaches over the year with the Saints. lol I routinely owned Brees in Fantasy.....and so often i would want him to punch in a 1 yard TD only to have Kuhn poach. Maybe this guy is a cross between him and Kyle. They dont have a lot of plays every game...but they made some impacts.

I actually really like Spiller on GL carries. Especially behind our shiny new OG and OC.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
      Fluent in Sarcasm
      • Jun 2013
      • Iowa
      • Man of the People
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

I just remember all those Kuhn TD poaches over the year with the Saints. lol I routinely owned Brees in Fantasy.....and so often i would want him to punch in a 1 yard TD only to have Kuhn poach. Maybe this guy is a cross between him and Kyle. They dont have a lot of plays every game...but they made some impacts.

I actually really like Spiller on GL carries. Especially behind our shiny new OG and OC.
      I can definitely see Horvath working himself into vulture duty like Kuhn with some dump off receptions like KJ that he somehow turns into 25+ yards.

Comment

• Fleet 1
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Kauai
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

I can definitely see Horvath working himself into vulture duty like Kuhn with some dump off receptions like KJ that he somehow turns into 25+ yards.
        Kuhn was with the Pack also. Herbert compared to Rodgers. lol Just lots of little connections.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I loved to watch Hank in kick coverage. He was a show!
          He was a wrecking ball on ST, he more than earned his roster spot with his kamikazi ST play. But as a FB he was decidedly meh imo. I hope for more from this rookie personally.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Why are people talking about Michael Davis or things related to the defensive side of the ball in this thread? This is a thread about a FB and anything that is related to what the player does.

Anyway, I don't think the FB position is extinct. They still have a place. I see many comparisons for Horvath. Alstott or other known FBs. Having a FB who can get yards gives defenses another person that they have to account out for. It was sad to Stephen Anderson leave. But I think Horvath brings good things to the table.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Kyle Juszczyk and John Kuhn come to mind. I wonder if thats what we are trying to do with this guy. Make him a FB type.
              TT keeps making it sound like they want him as a FB.

There are other TE/FB types that were probably better options if all they wanted is an OG type of FB who was going to be just a blocker.

Horvath doesn't have much experience as a lead blocker, so you kinda have to figure they want a more athletic guy who can do some other things as they teach him to block.

The other thing that are probably worth remembering is that back when Staley was hired, there was talk about the O that he really wanted to run was more like the SF-Shanahan offense. And what really sets that O apart from the rest of the west coast variants is the use of the FB as an offensive weapon. They aren't looking for a FB to run the iso lead and blast the hole clean, they want a guy who can be athletic and get position on athletic players in space. They can then use that guy to set up all kinds of different plays. But they need that kind of jack of all trades type of TE/FB to set it up.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

If you want to be a physical team, you have to draft physical players. I love the Zander pick.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• equivocation
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2021
                  • Send PM

He has along way to go but he has the physical tools. I think he'll be on the protected PS.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Norv was trying to do this with Jacob Hester
                    (memory deleted)
                    Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Fleet 1
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kauai
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

TT keeps making it sound like they want him as a FB.

There are other TE/FB types that were probably better options if all they wanted is an OG type of FB who was going to be just a blocker.

Horvath doesn't have much experience as a lead blocker, so you kinda have to figure they want a more athletic guy who can do some other things as they teach him to block.

The other thing that are probably worth remembering is that back when Staley was hired, there was talk about the O that he really wanted to run was more like the SF-Shanahan offense. And what really sets that O apart from the rest of the west coast variants is the use of the FB as an offensive weapon. They aren't looking for a FB to run the iso lead and blast the hole clean, they want a guy who can be athletic and get position on athletic players in space. They can then use that guy to set up all kinds of different plays. But they need that kind of jack of all trades type of TE/FB to set it up.
                      When i brought up those 2 players i was thinking goal line carries and sneaky plays in the pass game. Ive seen Kyle have some decent impacts on the passing game with the niners. Horvath had a decent amount of catches for the type of guy he is. I just dont get the feeling that he is a RB at the next level. Who knows. But i think hes more than a blocking FB. I feel like they might like the potemtial to do some of the things Kuhn and Kyle did. From a making plays pov.

Your last 2 sentences are exactly what im thinking.

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

When i brought up those 2 players i was thinking goal line carries and sneaky plays in the pass game. Ive seen Kyle have some decent impacts on the passing game with the niners. Horvath had a decent amount of catches for the type of guy he is. I just dont get the feeling that he is a RB at the next level. Who knows. But i think hes more than a blocking FB. I feel like they might like the potemtial to do some of the things Kuhn and Kyle did. From a making plays pov.

Your last 2 sentences are exactly what im thinking.
                        On film he can catch and he can pass block. His run blocking is basically starting from scratch so it will depend on how fast he picks it up. Anderson was a pretty quick study.

He can definitely be a weapon as a receiver, not just a check down.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/li...players-stats/
                          35.5 vertical, 10’3 broad, 31 bench reps, and 40 times in the mid/high 4.5s

With these numbers, Horvath tested as the No. 1 athletic-testing fullback in NFL Combine history. His athleticism and strength show up on the football field in different areas, as Horvath can make an impact as a runner, receiver, and blocker. His overall skill set could make him the replacement for Stephen Anderson as the team’s hybrid H-back.

Comment

Working...
                          X