• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Bolt-Dude’s draft score: B

Woulda been a B- but the Horvath pick tipped the scales.

Zion: A
    This wasn’t just the most responsible pick, it was the right pick. I think we got a solid 10-year contributor. Somewhere Rivers is yelling an angry flurry of daggumits.

Woods: B
    I’m interested to learn more about this kid because I’ll admit he wasn’t on my radar. Under Staley, if Woods adds a few pounds and improves his tackling technique, then watch out. He’s got a nose for the ball and he’s built like Cromartie. Looks extremely athletic, just needs to grow into himself. I know coach has a special plan for his skill-set. This was a Staley pick 1000% and he’ll make sure the world knows he was right.

*I would have liked TT to get creative. Missing a falling Travis Jones by 2 picks seems inexcusable.

Spiller: C-
    Maybe I’m missing something, but this one’s got me confused. I know he had a lot of hype with pundits, but not me. I see shiftiness on tape, but if you don’t watch highlights only, he’s very easy to bottle up if the hole doesn’t majestically open. As much as I don’t see on tape, I see less in his athletic profile. Those testing numbers are atrocious. Hopefully the improved OL will do him favors.

Otito: B
    Big-time traits pick here. He has the ideal build for a Staley NT, kinda like a bigger SJD. But I watched a lot of UCLA and when I focused on him, it wasn’t always good. In fact, a lot of his play was alarmingly bad. If he improves his technique, then he could be solid. But he’s not special. There were other, more interesting prospects available.

Jamaree Salyer: A-
    Great value here, it seems. I heard there’s medical concerns, which makes it risky. So I won’t give it a solid A. I don’t think he’ll win a starting role at either guard or left tackle as a rookie, but he could be the future after Feiler. Possibly the future at RT if we don’t re-sign Pip… I think Pip gets the starting job, but we’ll just have to see how that goes. If he struggles, I think Feiler will fill, then Salyer gets his shot at LG.

Ja-Sir Taylor: B-
    Has the traits to be good, but I don’t see a starting caliber player here. Solid backup might be his ceiling, but he could easily be a career PS guy. Obviously wasn’t a big college stand out. We’ll see how he develops.

Deanne Leonard: C+
    Who? Uhh…I hear he runs good. Was really hoping for an edge l project here.

Zander Horvath: A
    Love the pick for the special teams and H-back potential. Looks beastly, jumps high, runs fast…especially for his size. Might carve out a role as a reliable short yardage machine, which is huge for Staley’s 4th and 1s. I believe he can do everything Stephen Anderson did and possibly lots more. Gritty, loves contact, soft hands, nasty stiff arm, and a hurtle move. I like it.

Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Typical TT draft. One no brainer falls to him in the first, a nice 2nd day pick, and the rest meh.

C+

But if Zion can protect Herbert and elevate the play of the line, it's fine

It wasn't a Baltimore Ravens type of draft, that's for sure.
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• KrazyLegs
        Registered Dude
        • Sep 2018
        • Westminster, MA
        • Send PM

I'll abstain. I don't really see the value in grading a draft before anyone has played a down — especially after the world buried the Chargers two years ago for "reaching" on Herbert,

Comment

• AK47
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by KrazyLegs View Post
          I'll abstain. I don't really see the value in grading a draft before anyone has played a down — especially after the world buried the Chargers two years ago for reaching on Herbert,
          LOL the Chargers got a C or B grade on Herbert before he even took a snap.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Send PM

I think we still need more quality depth at Edge and WR. At least if we want to go to the playoffs this season. Now is that necessarily an indictment against our draft? I don't believe it is. So considering the condition of the roster before the draft and the picks that were available to us I thought we scored a high grade. We did well with what we had. So I give the draft an A. Good job, Brandon/Tom.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post
              I think we still need more quality depth at Edge and WR. At least if we want to go to the playoffs this season. Now is that necessarily an indictment against our draft? I don't believe it is. So considering the condition of the roster before the draft and the picks that were available to us I thought we scored a high grade. We did well with what we had. So I give the draft an A. Good job, Brandon/Tom.
              This. A where we picked with who was available.

Comment

• nomad1946
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2017
                • West Yellowstone, Montana
                • Retired
                • Send PM

It is quite possible that an adequate edge rusher will be available soon. There were a lot of them drafted and there will certainly be some cuts. We are looking for depth and not pro bowl starters.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

I give it a 'C' right now.

If Isaiah Spilller turns into a solid NFL rb and reduces Ekeler's load, I'll give it a 'B:;

If Oggie takes over as the #3 DT, and drastically reduces Christian Covington's plays, I'll give it an ;A

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

01) Jax * DT Travon Walker * big overdraft despite what is prevailing opinion, as he needs to gain his weight back and move inside
                    02) Lions * ED Aidan Hutchinson * they get a solid and don’t have to deal w/a ? like Walker or KT
                    03) Texans * CB Derek Stingley Jr. * like the pick…. go big, or go home
                    04) Jets * CB Ahmad Gardner * would've gone Cross for sure instead of the Sauce
                    05) Giants * ED Kayvon Thibodeaux * think NY will be good for this guy on a lotta levels, good call here
                    06) Panthers * OT Ikem Ekwonu * think Rhule’s days are numbered as this guy is a risk and could end up @guard
                    07) Giants * OT Evan Neal * best 1-2 picks of the draft, far as eye can tell
                    08) Falcons * WR Drake London * risky, but like the pick, as this guy is as productive as anyone when on the field
                    09) Seahawks * OT Charles Cross * Pete has good juju/mojo as this guy is the goods against the pass
                    10) Jets * WR Garrett Wilson * grateful he went off the board so there were no qualms w/Zion
                    11) Saints * WR Chris Olave * debatable use of draft capital for an admittedly talented wideout
                    12) Lions * WR Jameson Williams * not Megatron, but prolly brings a needed element of excitement to Motown
                    13) Philly * NT Jordan Davis * good fit in Philly, just a matter of how much he contributes and how soon
                    14) Ravens * S Kyle Hamilton * how much will he impact the win column is the age olde query
                    15) Texans * OG Kenyon Green * thinkin’ he might be better than some of the Oline taken before him
                    16) Commas * WR Jahan Dotson * def thought he was the better talent than Burks, nice selection
                    17) LAC * OG Zion Johnson * just put him next to Rashawn and be done w/things on the left side
                    18) Titans * WR Treylon Burks * hard to believe you’d move on from AJ Brown for this guy
                    19) Saints * OT Trevor Penning * picked by an Oline built team which is Chain confirmation by most accounts
                    20) Steelers * QB Kenny Pickett * one word difference between him and Malik >> accuracy
                    21) KC * CB Trent McDuffie * don’t think he’ll be much of a problem for us w/receiving corps we have @present
                    22) GBay * LB Quay Walker * woulda gone Nakobe Dean here, and Travis Jones instead of Devonte (written before day two)
                    23) Bills * CB Kaiir Elam * FO has had success of late, albeit loss of draft capital is a concern
                    24) Dallas * OT Tyler Smith * if Zion was off the board, would we’ve gone for this guy or Raimann/Penning ??
                    25) Ravens * OC Tyler Linderbaum * DeCosta being masterful but once again
                    26) Jets * ED Jermaine Johnson II * expectations might be a little high for him in the Big Apple
                    27) Jags * LB Devin Lloyd * solid player albeit never one to be too excited ‘bout a trade up
                    28) GBay * DT Devonte Wyatt * they made Rashan Gary work, hopefully they will have luck of the same here
                    29) Pats * OC Cole Strange * Bill “Strange Love” Belichick channeling is inner Mike Mayock/Jon Gruden…. and even if he made it to the Championship game the season before, would TT ever survive a pick like this ??
                    30) KC * ED George Karlaftis * Bulaga and/or Rashawn would eat this guy up…. Pips, not so sure
                    31) Cincy * S Daxton Hill * plenty of support for this guy, but a straight overdraft by my speculations
                    32) Vikes * S Lewis Cine * has Ghost’s fingerprints all over this pick

swing ‘n a miss…. Matt Corral, Nakobe Dean, Malik Willis, Andrew Booth, Bernhard Raimann

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Eurobolt
                      *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Send PM

Why people want to move solid LG to become poor to avarage RT is beyond me.

Yes check his season when he played in Pitt, speak with their fans. Everyone will tell the same meh for RT solid for G.
                      There is a reason why he has not been extended in Pitt.

On top of that why broke left part of OL that works well 1st time in what? 8 years?

We have OL depth depth and one RG starter, RT is still open.

I am not fan of our draft picks but this offseason has Stanley fingerprints all over - and I trust him, so looking forward for rookies development.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

think position wise that our Chargers covered most all of their bases, and.... despite his misstep w/Roo, gotta give props to Ninj for coming roaring outta the gate w/Travon Walker, who @that time had barely gotten much, if any of a mention on this board, and.... dude climbed all the way to one overall.... impressive work by the 54,

017) LG Zion Johnson * all I gotta say to my Equinox brothers, is that while the most all y'all came on board round the Spring equinox, some of us were already under full sail since the Fall equinox

048) ED Khalil Mack * save for George Pickens, not sure there were any real values comparable to Mack, albeit personally wouldn't have minded Travis Jones here, and liked what I knew 'bout Jelani Woods as well, and there was Raimann and Abraham Lucas as well, which woulda made plenty of peoples here happy as well

079) FS JT Woods * can appreciate the sentiment, but not a fan of trading up, Travis Jones or not, and as am a proponent of trusting the board, as there was no shortage of talent available @79, and.... not overly familiar w/JT Woods, so until proven otherwise, fairly disappointed we didn't snag DeAngelo Malone.... Cade Otton also went off the board before 123, along w/some real talent by the likes of Greg Dulcich, Nakobe Dean, DeMarvin Leal, Marcus Jones, Cameron Thomas, Sean Rhyan and Jeremy Ruckert

123) RB Isaiah Spiller * Faalele, Dane Belton and Jack Jones (nice one Nutty) were all off the board before 123 as well, and.... turned out it was all about the RBs for our fourth rounder, save for a punter or two.... Zamir White went right before our pick, and the likes of Pierre Strong, Tyler Allgeier and Jerome Ford went after Spiller.... Darian Kinnard was also on the board here

160) NT Otito Ogbonnia * Ninja's boy Zyon McCollum went not long before this selection, and we saw two more RBs of note go off the board after double Zero, Kyren Williams and Ty Chandler.... Araiza was also here, as were OC Luke Wattenberg and NT John Ridgeway

195) OG Jamaree Salyer * surprisingly enough Verderian Lowe went right before Salyer, and not sure if we missed out on Tyler Badie, as he went just after our selection here

214) CB Ja-Sir Taylor * Derion Kendrick was the only player of note, just before our pick as it turns out

236) CB Deanne Leonard * Oline prospects of note here were Thayer Munford Jr. and Rasheed Walker

254, 255, 260) RB Zander Horvath * def would not have traded away our two 7s for a 6, as woulda gladly scooped up a coupla few of D'Vonte Price (Colts), Noah Elliss (Iggles), Demetrius Taylor (Detroit), Zonovan Knight (Jets), James Empey (Dallas), and/or Jalen Virgil (Broncos)

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

historically team Tommy John pretty much grades out in line w/their slotting, which was just about middle of the pack, so the assumption would be that they did (very) average.... again ??

coupla few things that went really well.... they initially had 11 draft picks.... excellent and something we need to get after draft after draft/year after year.

another thing that eye see as a positive, is that given the maxim, that (my) golden rule of the draft is not to bust, am not sure they didn't hit (for all practical purposes) on 6 or 7 of their 8 picks, which is obviously well above the average of 50 percent, which woulda been four of 'em, and.... not sayin' they took the bpa round in and round out, but if you don't miss too very often, things are gonna start adding up in your favor over the long haul.

and am not a guy that likes to draft by position, as am strictly/mostly an intangibles guy, and use that as my overarching criteria for players, and will sort things out by position and round after culling the players eye most like, and.... that said, position wise, do think the Chargers pretty much took care of their biz, and for better or worse.

and thinking out loud re: a grade.... if avg is a C, and avg for a GM is 50 percent, then what is hitting on three quarters or even 87.5 percent of your picks ?? you're given 7 picks to start with.... 7/7 an A+ ?? 6/7 is 85 something percent.... B+ ?? 5/7 is back to a C (school wise) @71 or so percent, and so on....

017) for myself Zion is an easy A+, and I chuckle to read Chain give us an A there, and presumably not giving up a plus there, coz we didn't get Penning.... good on ya, coz that's the beauty of being a draftnik, and a die hard one @that.... we get to postulate and pundit as we choose/see fit.

079) Woods is a bit dicey for me, as it hurts a bit to miss out on DeAngelo Malone, and regardless that he comes w/a fair bit of risk and development, as just really liked his intangibles and his prospects in the NFL, and.... ditto for Cade Otton, and so.... can't give too high a grade here, as it is less about how good JT Woods might be, and more of how much better some of the other players might well turn out to be, that were selected after him.... prolly a D or something like that, albeit obviously eye could be gravely mistaken 'bout our new safety's talent ??

123) and honestly, Spiller was a meh pick for me, and woulda just as soon gotten Woods here, as Spiller was slotted/projected to go a round earlier if I recall correctly, and so if you flipped the two picks you'd get better value ?? dude could be exactly what we need back there, and personally.... woulda prolly been heavily considering Araiza here.... all things considered, maybe a B here ??

160) just realized that Josh Jobe went Tony Brown on me, and fell to the UDFA ranks, just like his former 'Bama DB, and so.... woulda def been thinking Jobe here, if not round four w/Otton off the board, and.... do think Otito was a pretty darn good pick, as the later you get, think the more lenient your grade needs to be, 'specially in considering if we passed on any notables in his stead, and.... not sure that we did, and so thinkin' this grade might be an A.

195) personally am gonna ding the pick a bit for passing on Tyler Badie here, as my suspicion during the draft process was that he would be a good addition to our ranks, and.... that said, do think Salyer is of @least equal intrigue, as kept lookin' @the guy during the duration (of the draft process) and wondered why he was (continually) slotted so low, and so.... prolly a B here.

214/236) not gonna pretend to have known anything 'bout the either of these guys, and after a quick perusal, my guess is that the one of 'em will stick in some capacity in our defensive backfield, which is pretty much all you can ask for down here day three, and.... not gonna lie, as woulda def preferred a coupla of "my" guys.... Demetrius Taylor , Jobe, Noah Ellis, and 'specially D'Vonte Price, and so.... will be kind/liberal here w/my grade as if they go 1 for 2 here, they've done well (enough), and will give Stalesco/team Tommy John a C.

245/255) not much thought involved here, as would be curious 'bout their rationale, other than Telesco is not much in the way of a talent evaluator and decided that there really weren't two many other players worth getting after this late in the draft, and felt better 'bout playing things forward w/another pick to be added to next year's cache, and.... know Ninja woulda stood for the none of that, as he doesn't have a list down here, he has a scroll of players that he would gladly bring to camp as seventh rounders.... so without any further thought nor adieu's, will give Tom an F here.

260) would say that the odds are against Horvath, but chances are that he will make the 53, which again is a plus for the near last pick in the draft, albeit again, and again personally speaking, there is no contest between his value as eye see it, vs. the handful or so of guys that I like that are as of now UDFAs.... Jobe (Iggles), D'Vonte, Elliss, Empey, (Zonovan) Bam Knight, or Jalen Virgil.... grade D.

overall, think it's a weighted grade based on how early the pick was made, and think you gotta bump the grade w/the addition of Khalil, and knowing that even tho eye didn't care for the value @79 w/Woods, it sure does seem like he might be a really good player, regardless of bpa there, and Telesco did come away w/a 2023 sixth which will be well received come this time next year, and so overall prolly gonna just go w/my gut (sense of things/intuition) and scry that this is a bit above avg for team Tommy John and give'm a B for now, and as Staley def seems to have our talent evaluation taking a next level step, @least by the looks of things of late/to date.

(Noah Sewell, Peter Skoronski, Bijan Robinson)

Comment

Working...
                          X