• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I mean, the bottom line is that time will tell if we blew it by not making the trade. And I'm going under the assumption that there was, indeed, an opportunity to do so. Telesco/Staley probably - most probably - had a plan that they intended to stick with, something they felt comfortable/confident with, the hell with want anybody else thinks. So either Telesco just stubbornly stuck with his plan, as you imply, or he tried and there were no takers, despite what appears to be our more attractive draft capital.

I still think we had an overall good draft - solid 'B' - from me. No draft is going to be perfect for all of us; there's always disappointment. Just gotta hope that, on balance, we came out ahead. Which I think we did.
    :below:
    The hilarious point to all this is that Chaincrusher routinely ignores the consensus of opinion of this board.

Comment

• RTPbolt
      Charger Fan till the end
      • Jun 2013
      • North Carolina
      • Send PM

Our scouts have far more real data on players that we ever see. There may be issues that pop up after watching every snap available on tape or comments from coaches or even the interviews that drop a guy or elevate a guy. We arent privy to it and never will be. TT and SB rely on our scouts input a lot to build their data up. They are trusted to run this process….not us armchair GMs. Its fun to chat about sure but anyone thinking they know better is fooling themselves.

We would be foolish to think we know everything on Jones to see where he really ranks on our board or the other team boards. He may have a flaw that brought him down our board and thats why we didnt spend valuable draft capital to go chasing this guy. Obviously we didnt think he was worth losing picks to go up and get him or we felt he might drop to us too. Being impatient usually doesnt end up well. Letting emotions run our decisions usually results in bad decisions in my world of finance…and i dont see this as any different. If we were impatient last year we would have lost a 2nd to move up to get Slater earlier when we didnt need to or for DJ. Sure we wiuld have got him but at what cost? I know to shut my mouth and let the pros really evaluate the data and run their process. Time and coaching and player effort will decide the results.

Comment

• Xenos
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Brugler doesn’t do draft grades. Just of his ranking of favorites. We actually made 11th.
        The NFL Draft is about amassing top talent, but the best drafts happen when a team maximizes value. Here's how every team did this weekend.

Favorite pick: Zion Johnson, OG/C, Boston College

Though I was a little surprised the Chargers passed on Penning, I had the Chargers nabbing Johnson in my final mock draft because the pairing makes perfect sense. After drafting one of the best young quarterbacks in the NFL two years ago, the Chargers found their left tackle in the first round last year and now add a versatile guard-center. Johnson is plug-and-play thanks to his movements, play strength and intelligence.

Day 3 pick who could surprise: Jamaree Salyer, OG, Georgia

I knew I was higher than most on Salyer pre-draft, but I’m still shocked he fell all the way to the sixth round. Some teams believe he is too much of a tackle-guard tweener, and medicals are a part of his fall as well, Salyer was rarely beaten on tape, allowing only one sack in his career (to Alabama’s Will Anderson). At worst, he should provide immediate offensive line depth.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

The lowest class grade I saw was from Walter Football with a "C-", most others were around A or B.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
            Coming into the draft RG and RT were the only positions that didn’t have clear cut starters. I think the Zion and Salyer picks will enable us to put out the best 5 up front. Both could play OG and we slide Feiler out to RT or we keep Zion and Feiler at OG and have a 3 way battle for RT with Pipkins, Storm, and Salyer. I feel a lot better about that battle than just Pipkins vs storm. My next big need was a backend defender to free up Derwin underneath, JT Woods checks that box for me. RB2 obviously a worry but Spiller should immediately take care of those worries and Horvath will make sure there is a tough competition for RB3/4. After that CB/OL depth improvements, Salyer obviously fills that hole with the OL and I like the speed and flexibility we brought in to the CB room with Taylor and Leonard. Horvath, Taylor, and Leonard should all be useful additions on ST as well. OO is already giving me SJD vibes as a rotational DL, so another win there for me.

However there is still a glaring hole for me on this roster and that is EDGE depth. Rumph is currently EDGE3, and a guy from CFL is 4th. If Mack or Bosa miss time that is going to be a huge drop off. If both go down? We have no pass rush. I get this is a rotational spot we are talking about but it’s a very important one to the success of this D and our ability to make a SB run. With no EDGE taken the best I can give this draft is a B+.
            We have two of the top edge rushers in the NFL. That's actually a good thing.
            If we have to use the depth, Rumph, Davis, Egbule or tweak the scheme, that's football.
            We will have a pass rush and the odds of success have improved this year with our coverage.

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              The lowest class grade I saw was from Walter Football with a "C-", most others were around A or B.
              "Walter" has Salyer as a UDFA value for whatever reason.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

That guy hates the Chargers.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

"Walter" has Salyer as a UDFA value for whatever reason.
                  Might have been Campbell. Walter C. graded the Salyer selection as a A Grade, with a 3rd-4th range. His grades on the first two picks were low based on picking a G vs. a OT in the First, and that Woods didn't fill a need.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Walter's Football was a two man operation a few years ago, and then the guy who gave decent projections (Walter Cherenski?) left.
                    The guy (Campbell) who had 1rst round prospects routinely hang out in the 3rd round stayed on.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Might have been Campbell. Walter C. graded the Salyer selection as a A Grade, with a 3rd-4th range. His grades on the first two picks were low based on picking a G vs. a OT in the First, and that Woods didn't fill a need.

How do we know that Charlie Campbell isn't Chaincrusher: they sound identical.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

How do we know that Charlie Campbell isn't Chaincrusher: they sound identical.
                        The grades were Walter's. He mocked Penning for the 1st pick. Safety may not have been a conventional pick that high, but we know that Staley, not Telesco had his finger prints all over the pick.

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

Ah okay. I didn't know just how many Walters were bad at this.

Anyway, this board discussed S as a need for months.

Comment

Working...
                          X