• Show
Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

We seem to be getting in the 'C-to-B' range in most post-draft analysis on the internet. So kind of meh, I guess. A couple of those picks (Woods, are you listening?) are going to have to exceed expectations for this to be considered a good/very good draft. Zion was a catch; Spiller and Sayler good picks, too. The jury's out on the rest.

Which is why, even before the draft started, I felt that we should continue to be active in Free Agency, and I feel just as strongly about that now. I really don't think we can go into the season with the existing roster + draftees and expect that to be enough to get us deep into the playoffs. We might *make* the playoffs - and my expectation is that we will - but we need more horses, IMO, if we hope to seriously contend. Too many teams - not only in our stacked division, but around the AFC - have made bigger jumps than we have (so far), so now is not the time to be complacent.

Comment

• Boltgang74
      We Are The Storm!
      • Aug 2018
      • Send PM

Especially with TTs job undoubtably on the line.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Penning needs a lot of work on his footwork. He doesn't give himself nearly enough depth on his drop. He doesn't use his body to get in the way. He has long arms, and he knocks guys around, but then they flatten and get after the QB. And when Penning lunges too far forward, because he relies too much on his punch to knock rushers off their lanes and stun them. He needs to sit back and wait in pass protection and not sell out. Wait, and make the DL commit, then pound the hell out of them.

Penning has too much Fluker in him. Physically Fluker was the ideal RT. Penning might be a bit better. But OL know how to beat guys who try to win on the line before the play even starts. It is so much easier if they learn to use their body to get in the way, and then use their arms to steer the pass rushers around the spot. That is how you make a speed rush a $50 dollar cab ride instead of a quick trip to the sack.

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Is Salyer starts, I would much rather see:

Slater--Johnson--Linsley--Salyer--Feiler.
          if they keep the (FO) politics out of it, and actually had an open competition, think Salyer wins the RT job, which leaves Feiler @RG, and then Aboushi actually is our backup there.

personal suspicion is also that our best swing tackle is Jaimes, and that we are best to send Pips 'n Storm on their way.
          RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

We now have 4 guards, I don’t think Aboushi gets a re-signed. That would probably mean Jaimes gets exposed to the PS.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              We now have 4 guards, I don’t think Aboushi gets a re-signed. That would probably mean Jaimes gets exposed to the PS.
              Slater >> Linsley >> Zion >> Feiler >> Salyer >> Jaimes >> Aboushi >> Clapp >> Storm >> Pips
              RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

if they keep the (FO) politics out of it, and actually had an open competition, think Salyer wins the RT job, which leaves Feiler @RG, and then Aboushi actually is our backup there.

personal suspicion is also that our best swing tackle is Jaimes, and that we are best to send Pips 'n Storm on their way.
                It is difficult to say about Jaimes since we really have not seen him at all.

I am not sure about Salyer at RT over Feiler. Salyer may end up being a good RT, but Feiler has proven it so I would favor him over Salyer without more data.

You could be right about all of that, though.

Comment

• equivocation
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2021
                  • Send PM

Slater >> Linsley >> Zion >> Feiler >> Salyer >> Jaimes >> Aboushi >> Clapp >> Storm >> Pips
                  Things are, until they aren't, and then they aren't.

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Things are, until they aren't, and then they aren't.
                    what is.... is, and what ain't... ain't no thang but a chicken wang,

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Send PM

what is.... is, and what ain't... ain't no thang but a chicken wang,
                      That's deep. And it rhymes.

Comment

• rikardo
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Went to the internet to review draft grades from 2020 Chargers draft C to B at the time.
                        Right now, just because we picked Herbert, to me its an A+

CBS
                        https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chargers-draft-picks-2020-nfl-draft-order-grades-by-team-los-angeles-round-4-7-selections/amp/

SI
                        https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si....2020-nfl-draft

Comment

• Xenos
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Something important to point out is that due to the crapshoot nature of the draft, if you can get at least two quality starters out of a draft then it’s considered good. Everyone else should be there quality depth. The problem is that we haven’t even been averaging two a year.

Comment

Working...
                          X