• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

The only Grades I care about are the one's awarded with trophies and rings. LOL! They also hardly mentioned the players we picked after the third round which looked good for most charger fans. oh well, this is the stupidest part of the draft process....post draft analysis.
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

What Telesco could have done was to offer either this year's 5th round draft pick our next year's 4th round draft pick in addition to our third round pick to move up 4 spots into #75 and ahead of BAL. Houston actually did trade its 3rd and 5th to move into that sport during the middle of the third round. Our 3rd and 5th round picks were more valuable picks as they were earlier picks in both rounds.

Obviously, Jones was ranked 93 players better than Woods, which easily justifies the trade up. We would have received a round 1/2 faller at #76, which is exactly what happened in 2013 when we drafted Keenan Allen.

We simply need to be more aggressive in the war room and get high value players when they are there for the taking. Our failure to get full value for our picks is likely to hurt us because we will lose overall talent comparatively to other teams that do get full value for their picks. It is the kind of thing that prevents a good team from being great.
      IMO, TT was locked in on Woods. No other player was an option at 3.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Penning and Salyer. Right side potentially done for the next 4 - 10 years. Oh wait.

Never mind.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

That was because Staley had his hands on his shoulders pointing him in that direction.
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Penning and Salyer. Right side potentially done for the next 4 - 10 years. Oh wait.

Never mind.
            Salyer also played RT. But I think he’s depth this year. He fell for a reason.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

If Norton can start in this league, Sayler can. Watch.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                Fluent in Sarcasm
                • Jun 2013
                • Iowa
                • Man of the People
                • Send PM

Or he saw that 7 safeties had already come off the board halfway through the 3rd and said “shit if I want a day one contributor at safety I better take one now”. At that point the only positions that had 7 or more players selected were WR, OT, DE, and CB. Analysts may say that S isn’t a premium position but NFL teams don’t seem to be in agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I mean, the bottom line is that time will tell if we blew it by not making the trade. And I'm going under the assumption that there was, indeed, an opportunity to do so. Telesco/Staley probably - most probably - had a plan that they intended to stick with, something they felt comfortable/confident with, the hell with want anybody else thinks. So either Telesco just stubbornly stuck with his plan, as you imply, or he tried and there were no takers, despite what appears to be our more attractive draft capital.

I still think we had an overall good draft - solid 'B' - from me. No draft is going to be perfect for all of us; there's always disappointment. Just gotta hope that, on balance, we came out ahead. Which I think we did.
                  We aren't miles off in terms of our respective assigned grades. I thought we had three really good picks and 5 not so good picks with more not so good picks coming later, so I ended up grading it as a B-.

Comment

And that is exactly what you should not do in a draft, especially for a consensus reach player.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                      If Norton can start in this league, Sayler can. Watch.
                      Is Salyer starts, I would much rather see:

Slater--Johnson--Linsley--Salyer--Feiler.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Seems this draft was all about depth (less a starter or two on the Oline):

Secondary was exposed in multiple games; three DBs taken, check.

Running game was too weak, putting way too much of a strain on the passing game; along with the aforementioned OL, two very solid RBs taken, check.

Then add another DL rotational piece while we’re at it, check.

Depth, depth, depth. Arguably one of the things that cost us (and many teams, 17+ game schedule is brutal) games.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                          Fluent in Sarcasm
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Iowa
                          • Man of the People
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                          Seems this draft was all about depth (less a starter or two on the Oline):

Secondary was exposed in multiple games; three DBs taken, check.

Running game was too weak, putting way too much of a strain on the passing game; along with the aforementioned OL, two very solid RBs taken, check.

Then add another DL rotational piece while we’re at it, check.

Depth, depth, depth. Arguably one of the things that cost us (and many teams, 17+ game schedule is brutal) games.
                          Let’s not forget that better depth players usually equates to better ST players as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X