• Show
Clear All
  • Hadl2Alworth
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    When evaluating WRs, keep this in mind:

Cooper Kupp ran a 4.6 40 at the Combine, and didn't display the explosiveness teams want at WR. That is why he was a 3rd round pick.
    Davante Adams ran a 4.56 40
    DeAndre Hopkins ran a 4.57
    Michael Thomas ran a 4.57
    Justin Jefferson ran a 4.43
    Stefon Diggs ran a 4.46
    Deebo Samuel ran a 4.48

The list of WRs who are tops in the league right now who don't have elite speed (sub 4.0 40 time) is quite long. Ja'Marr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, Tyreek Hill...it is nice to have that elite speed, but it's not necessary for success in the NFL.

Josh Palmer speed and measurables fall into a category of WR that has had a lot of success in the NFL. He's 6-1, 210lbs, 4.51 40 time. Those are Hopkins, Adams, Kupp and Thomas type measurables. Palmer as a rookie displayed his ability to track the long ball really well, and can impose his will on DBs. That is why I think he is going to have a breakout season in 2022.

Then there is timed speed vs game speed. Mike Williams' timed speed was 4.59. But with the ball in his hands, I think he's faster. There were a few instances in 2021 where he outran DBs after the catch - DBs whose 40 times were faster than Mike's.

So don't fall too much in love with elite speed in a WR. 4.5 or 4.6 for a WR is a fast enough, there are other factors/attributes/skills that are more important than elite speed. Kupp showed us that in 2021.
    He did?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

I bet Stan Humphries would like to transport this WR group back to 1995…
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
        Outback Goon
        • Sep 2018
        • Australia
        • Send PM

Cooper Kupp ran a 4.6 40 at the Combine, and didn't display the explosiveness teams want at WR. That is why he was a 3rd round pick.
        Stefon Diggs ran a 4.46
        Deebo Samuel ran a 4.48

The list of WRs who are tops in the league right now who don't have elite speed (sub 4.0 40 time) is quite long. Ja'Marr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, Tyreek Hill...it is nice to have that elite speed, but it's not necessary for success in the NFL.

Josh Palmer speed and measurables fall into a category of WR that has had a lot of success in the NFL. He's 6-1, 210lbs, 4.51 40 time. Those are Hopkins, Adams, Kupp and Thomas type measurables. Palmer as a rookie displayed his ability to track the long ball really well, and can impose his will on DBs. That is why I think he is going to have a breakout season in 2022.

Then there is timed speed vs game speed. Mike Williams' timed speed was 4.59. But with the ball in his hands, I think he's faster. There were a few instances in 2021 where he outran DBs after the catch - DBs whose 40 times were faster than Mike's.

So don't fall too much in love with elite speed in a WR. 4.5 or 4.6 for a WR is a fast enough, there are other factors/attributes/skills that are more important than elite speed. Kupp showed us that in 2021.
        post of the month

Comment

• kgbpasha
          #болтап
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Guyton is learning route running from Slayer.
          You can't teach speed.
          Guyton is only getting better.
          With another similar receiver on board
          our WR's would get the biggest cushions
          in the league after about Week 6.

Here, Herbert actually underthrows him.
          It happens when you have that speed,
          he'll often have to slow down and wait for it.
          The DB was toast and it would have been a score
          had there been more air under the ball.

https://twitter.com/thecheckdown/sta...nRdqukZcj0H3pQ

Comment

• DennisR91
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

He did?
            i cannot believe myself that I have read your entire response

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

9-8, no playoffs, Herbie with the ball in his hands and??? Where’s the fucking TD?? Blame Herbie? I hear some blaming the OL but fucking Superman Herbie doesn’t need OL, he fucking invented scrambling.

Our WR made their bread and butter on third and long, which is great in one sense but sucky we needed them for that. Maybe a better run game unleashes them for scoring, I dunno. The league is built for two minutes left, hot QB has the ball looking to score…and if we ain’t getting it done then there’s something to be addressed, not ignored. Running game upgraded, check. Parham back healthy, Everett on board, check. Palmer second year confidence, check. Lombardi second year, check. Lots of good signs, but - it’s really gonna suck if we go .500 in close games this season, better D and run game and all. Because the part of the team that HAS to win those games, that HAS to go Kupp on the other team, we did nothing to improve.

All the shit that happens in a game, every game good and bad, and it will still come down to 120 seconds most games. Do we have it?

Last game: OT, both teams are spent, our D - our sucky, maligned, soon to be rebuilt D - holds LV to a FG, gifting our top 5 O the opportunity to vault us into the playoffs in Staley’s rookie season. And they fizzle. Spent? Sure, but so were the Raiders, and they - the effing Raiders secondary - kept us out of the end zone. I hope Staley’s right, and our WR corps is fine. I hope a top rookie OG rights those wrongs, a much improved D and running game obliterates the W/Ls. I hope. I’ll believe it when I see it.
              Last edited by blueman; 05-03-2022, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Well I amuse myself, heh.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
                  I really feel Palmer is going to continue to grow with Herbert. If they continue to stay after practice working on timing, they will show us how good they can be.
                  Agree. Palmer is KA 2.0. Sort of. He will do in a pinch. he’s crisp, precise, smart, good hands, he can play ball. Stopwatch ball lickers still don’t get it. I expect a jump from his perfectly acceptable rookie season. Another improvement step in the OL and every receiver will be better due to more time. TE is upgraded over Cook and Spiller brings a credible RB2 at last. This offense will be better than last - last was good enough to win a SB, they just had no D.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                    French Speaking Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Québec city
                    • Send PM

Why do you think the Chargers didn't pick anything at WR ?
                    No vacancy.
                    Last edited by Maniaque 6; 05-06-2022, 05:48 AM.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Agree. Palmer is KA 2.0. Sort of. He will do in a pinch. he’s crisp, precise, smart, good hands, he can play ball. Stopwatch ball lickers still don’t get it. I expect a jump from his perfectly acceptable rookie season. Another improvement step in the OL and every receiver will be better due to more time. TE is upgraded over Cook and Spiller brings a credible RB2 at last. This offense will be better than last - last was good enough to win a SB, they just had no D.
                      What I’m hoping.

Comment

• Boltx
                        Dominate the day
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I worry a bit about all of KA's drops last year + age and if we are about to see a sudden decline from him. Hopefully it was just a flukey year from him. Still wish we had a true speed guy but the WR corps is overall fine as it is.
                        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Stefon Diggs ran a 4.46
                          Deebo Samuel ran a 4.48

Teams' defenses have adapted and put a wrench at Tyreek Hill or other fast players like him. You don't need to have the speedsters, you just need players who are just fast enough.

Comment

Working...
                          X