• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

An interesting interview with Mike Williams. I like how he says he's going to progress with Herbert in Year 2 in this offense.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

I watched a vid today stating teams should not draft WRs in the first round because later round picks usually turn out to be better.

So many of the best WRs in the game today were 2nd or lower round picks. Mike Williams is the only 1st round WR (of 3) of his 2017 class to work out. But the best WR of that class is Copper Kupp; both he and Chris Godwin were 3rd rounders.

The 2019 WR class is dominated by non-first round picks. Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown, and DK Metcalf were 2nd rounders, Dionte Johnson went in the 3rd, Hunter Renfrow in the 5th. The two 1st rounders in 2019 were Marquise Brown and N'Keal Harry.

2020 and 2021 were different - the first round of those drafts produced the best WRs of their classes (so far): Justin Jefferson, CeeDee Lamb in 2020, and J'Marr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, and DeVonta Smith in 2021. The 2020 draft also produced Tee Higgins in the 2nd round.

Beyond the 1st round the WRs in 2021 were not much to speak of, except for the 11th WR in that draft taken in the 3rd round: Joshua Palmer.

I for one think Palmer is going to have a break out season, and he is going to be one of those WRs who turns out to be a steal in a later round. He showed as a rookie that he is tough, and good route runner, and has excellent hands. He is a hard worker and has the right mental attitude to succeed as a WR in the NFL.

This year's 1st round WR class was highly touted and deep - six went in the first round. I am pleased Staley/Telesco didn't draft one; I think our corps is set and as deep as there is in the NFL. It will be interesting which of the six WRs drafted in the 1st round in 2022 turns out to be a disappointment, because you know a few of them aren't going to be as good as advertised.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Beyond the 1st round the WRs in 2021 were not much to speak of, except for the 11th WR in that draft taken in the 3rd round: Joshua Palmer.

I for one think Palmer is going to have a break out season, and he is going to be one of those WRs who turns out to be a steal in a later round. He showed as a rookie that he is tough, and good route runner, and has excellent hands. He is a hard worker and has the right mental attitude to succeed as a WR in the NFL.

This year's 1st round WR class was highly touted and deep - six went in the first round. I am pleased Staley/Telesco didn't draft one; I think our corps is set and as deep as there is in the NFL. It will be interesting which of the six WRs drafted in the 1st round in 2022 turns out to be a disappointment, because you know a few of them aren't going to be as good as advertised.
        I was just thinking earlier that the guy Josh Palmer's play reminds me of is (a bit oddly) long time Panther Steve Smith.

I say 'oddly', because Palmer is bigger, and Smith was faster-- so they "aren't the same guy", so to speak.

Where they are/were alike is in the way they manage to secure the ball when there's competition for it. Palmer competes for the ball, and does so successfully. Smith was the same way. Both guys positioned themselves well to have a shot as the ball, and then showed the ability to wrest the ball away from defenders.

Know this about Palmer, too: He's listed as 6-1, 210. Compare that with Mike Williams, who is 6-4, 218, and you see why Palmer is as strong as he is. He's bigger than he looks. (And btw, Keenan Allen measures in at 6-2, 211. This gives the Bolts one of the least Smurf-like wideout groups in the league.)

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Palmer’s best-touted trait coming in as a rookie was his ability to make himself some room. A little in this league is enough, if you have the muscle. Palmer does. He’s one injury away from being a top WR with Herbert throwing to him, nice to have a guy who can do that.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

I watched a vid today stating teams should not draft WRs in the first round because later round picks usually turn out to be better.

So many of the best WRs in the game today were 2nd or lower round picks. Mike Williams is the only 1st round WR (of 3) of his 2017 class to work out. But the best WR of that class is Copper Kupp; both he and Chris Godwin were 3rd rounders.

The 2019 WR class is dominated by non-first round picks. Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown, and DK Metcalf were 2nd rounders, Dionte Johnson went in the 3rd, Hunter Renfrow in the 5th. The two 1st rounders in 2019 were Marquise Brown and N'Keal Harry.

2020 and 2021 were different - the first round of those drafts produced the best WRs of their classes (so far): Justin Jefferson, CeeDee Lamb in 2020, and J'Marr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, and DeVonta Smith in 2021. The 2020 draft also produced Tee Higgins in the 2nd round.

Interesting. I think Palmer would have a huge breakout season if Slayer and Dub were not on the same team. He will be limited only by roster talent.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Interesting. I think Palmer would have a huge breakout season if Slayer and Dub were not on the same team. He will be limited only by roster talent.
              I agree. But as blueman notes, he's one injury away from being a top WR. It's a nice problem to have - a WR corps so stacked that if the No. 1 or 2 has to miss time due to injury, it won't be a big blow to the offense because you've got a guy like Palmer ready to step in.

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
              I was just thinking earlier that the guy Josh Palmer's play reminds me of is (a bit oddly) long time Panther Steve Smith.
              I was thinking of Anquan Boldin, they're the same height but Boldin was about 10 lbs heavier I think. You're right, the Chargers' WR corps is definitely un-smerf-like, until you get to DeAndre Carter. But even Guyton is 6-1 and over 210 lbs. You don't see a lot of guys with sub 4.4 speed with that size. If Joe Reed makes the roster as a WR, that would give the Chargers 5 WRs who are 210+

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

I agree. But as blueman notes, he's one injury away from being a top WR. It's a nice problem to have - a WR corps so stacked that if the No. 1 or 2 has to miss time due to injury, it won't be a big blow to the offense because you've got a guy like Palmer ready to step in.

I was thinking of Anquan Boldin, they're the same height but Boldin was about 10 lbs heavier I think. You're right, the Chargers' WR corps is definitely un-smerf-like, until you get to DeAndre Carter. But even Guyton is 6-1 and over 210 lbs. You don't see a lot of guys with sub 4.4 speed with that size. If Joe Reed makes the roster as a WR, that would give the Chargers 5 WRs who are 210+
                They would have to carry six WR's for Joe Reed to make it. I think Joe missed his chance. The addition of Palmer was a closing door for Reed.

We also have some receivers with promise on the practice squad.

For the record - I'm not as certain as most of you that Palmer will be #3 - Guyton has improved on his route running a lot and that speed is always a threat.

Palmer sure looks promising but, Guyton is very fast and you can't teach speed. Darn good competition at WR.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

They would have to carry six WR's for Joe Reed to make it. I think Joe missed his chance. The addition of Palmer was a closing door for Reed.

For the record - I'm not as certain as most of you that Palmer will be #3 - Guyton has improved on his route running a lot and that speed is always a threat.

Palmer sure looks promising but, Guyton is very fast and you can't teach speed. Darn good competition at WR.
                  Maybe they’re 3a and 3b with Guyton the speed guy and Palmer the possession guy. They have such different but valuable skill sets.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Guyton needs to be able to get off the line more consistently, especially moving into year two of this offense. If he can’t his speed won’t matter (and Palmer will already be open anyway, cuz something else you apparently can’t teach lol).

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                      Guyton needs to be able to get off the line more consistently, especially moving into year two of this offense. If he can’t his speed won’t matter (and Palmer will already be open anyway, cuz something else you apparently can’t teach lol).
                      This. Slayer has made a decent career on this.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        I thought he improved a lot at that last year. As a result, he started catching some short passes now and then. I don't think either Guyton or Palmer are done improving either. Our WR room has some darn good players.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I don't disagree with you at all that Guyton could end up being the No. 3 over Palmer, that would only happen if Guyton has a break out season, and he is entering his prime so it may happen. But what a good problem to have - too much talent at WR. If someone important in the WR corps has to miss time due to injury, the offense isn't necessarily going to take a hit because there is talent down the depth chart who can fill the void.

As for Joe Reed - the Chargers have carried six WRs in the past. Staley/Lombardi only wanted to carry five last season and that may be how they do it. The fact that they moved on from Roberts and signed DeAndre Carter does indicate to me they want to carry just five. Roberts was just a returner and didn't bring anything as a WR. He was one of the five on the depth chart, but in reality there were only four WRs. Having Carter over Roberts means they don't have to waste one roster spot on just a returner because Carter will be used in the passing game. They will have five bonafide WRs and won't need a sixth. So, indeed, Joe Reed may be the odd man out. I suspect he will remain on the PS. They only signed Carter to a one year deal, so maybe they still have hopes Reed can become that return man/WR he was hoped to be when he was drafted.

Comment

Working...
                          X