• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

I watch Joe Burrow get mentioned in the same breath as Herbert... He's not on the same level of QB Herbert is, but he has three great wide receivers. Having a 3rd will take the offense to another level.

This isn't to say anyone would be an improvement, but I wanted a WR in the draft if we could pick up Williams or Olave in the 1st or Austin in the 4th. They would have brought something special to this offense. I don't think any FA WR at this point would bring enough that it's worth the money.

Also, a FA WR is a priority behind edge 3 and RT.
    So a WR that may not play half the year and another that is 170 lbs and you think they make our WR group Better?

I didn't think we would go WR in round 1 either. I thought that would be a crazy pick for us.

Austin is fast but I just don't like small players and at WR they can get knocked off their routes at the LOS by the bigger, more experienced CBs.

Comment

• eaterfan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

So a WR that may not play half the year and another that is 170 lbs and you think they make our WR group Better?

I didn't think we would go WR in round 1 either. I thought that would be a crazy pick for us.

Austin is fast but I just don't like small players and at WR they can get knocked off their routes at the LOS by the bigger, more experienced CBs.
      Yes. I did. So did the Saints and Lions. You don't think either of those guys is an improvement over Palmer or Guyton? I don't think many number 3 corners in the league can stay with either of those guys.

Austin has a really smooth release. I'm not wasting a first round pick on him, but there's a chance he becomes an incredible play maker. It's worth a 4th on that.

I would argue it's crazy to take a guard in the first when we could get one in the 6th.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Yes. I did. So did the Saints and Lions. You don't think either of those guys is an improvement over Palmer or Guyton? I don't think many number 3 corners in the league can stay with either of those guys.

Austin has a really smooth release. I'm not wasting a first round pick on him, but there's a chance he becomes an incredible play maker. It's worth a 4th on that.

I would argue it's crazy to take a guard in the first when we could get one in the 6th.
        Doh! I saw what you did there.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

Does it mean that Zion is under pressure ?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

I watch Joe Burrow get mentioned in the same breath as Herbert... He's not on the same level of QB Herbert is, but he has three great wide receivers. Having a 3rd will take the offense to another level.

This isn't to say anyone would be an improvement, but I wanted a WR in the draft if we could pick up Williams or Olave in the 1st or Austin in the 4th. They would have brought something special to this offense. I don't think any FA WR at this point would bring enough that it's worth the money.

we do have three great WRs, you guys are sleeping on Palmer, the kid is a stud and he runs better routes already than some seasoned guys out there. Palmer could easily be a 100 a season catch guy if he’s called upon and they expand his role. The deal with folks that don’t appreciate our receivers is that they don’t all run 4.3 40s but I don’t see people catching MW from behind on his long passes and guyton has done a splendid job with the long ball as well including that gorgeous pass last year that traveled like 65 yards in the air. Herbert loves the kid, and if guyton is good enough for herbert then he should be good enough for every charger fan too.
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Burrow is an amazing QB, what are we talking about here? You reminded me of my friends in highschool getting into arguments over whether marino or elway which one was the best young QB. The correct answer was that they were both amazing, admitting that burrow is a fantastic QB doesn’t diminish Herbert in any way shape or form. Both young guys are spectacular QBs…I bet a lot of QBs around the NFL envy the WR corps that Herbert has, I’m not saying they're the best group in the league but they are easily in the top ten and maybe even in the top 5 league wide as a group…
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

I think Jameson makes us better in 2023, not this year. He is going to miss some TC and regular season games so he will be behind. And he will be for the Lions as well.

Olave I liked. Just didn't think WR was much of a need but thought we might draft one later.

​​​​​​We are the only team in the league with 2 -20 mil a year WRs. To draft another in round 1 wouldn't be smart.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-04-2022, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• equivocation
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I think Jameson makes us better in 2023, not this year. He is going to miss some TC and regular season games so he will be behind. And he will be for the Lions as well.

Olave I liked. Just didn't think WR was much of a need but thought we might draft one later.
                  late.
                  ​​​​​​We are the only team in the league with 2 -20 mil a year WRs. To draft another in round 1 wouldn't be smart.
                  We have 100M tied up in the top 2 WR and tope 2 edge.

In 1 to 2 years that will no longer be true. We will need to develop a replacement pipeline soon.

The appeal of Jameson was, if you believe he's a top 5 player in the draft when healthy, you could get a premium player in a non premium slot. We won't have top 10 picks for awhile IMO. Of course, it was moot because he went early.

Comment

• RobH
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Tokyo, Japan
                    • University English Lecturer
                    • Send PM

I think we helped our WR crew tremendously by upgrading the interior OL. I can’t count the number of times Herbert had to get the ball out before the WRs had a chance to get very far into their routes. If we can buy Herbert more time to survey the field and the WRs have time to make route adjustments, then our WR group moves up in the overall rankings. So I’m pretty darn happy we spent that first on an OG that should be able to step right in and shore up the middle.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

don't think there is any question that we had wide receiver ahead of guard in the first round.... Staley mentioned that the board was "stacked" by bpa, and his inference was that we had receiver up there on our board, and before Zion.... Staley followed up w/that it just didn't work out that way, as not sure a third/fourth receiver wouldn'tah been hellah impactful, and.... eye love me some ZJ.
                      RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                        don't think there is any question that we had wide receiver ahead of guard in the first round.... Staley mentioned that the board was "stacked" by bpa, and his inference was that we had receiver up there on our board, and before Zion.... Staley followed up w/that it just didn't work out that way, as not sure a third/fourth receiver wouldn'tah been hellah impactful, and.... eye love me some ZJ.
                        Not the feeling I got from it but who knows.

Comment

• CTrout
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Kyle van Noy meeting with the Chargers right now

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰