• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Our newly drafted corners need to look no further than across the room at JC Jackson
    Before he was mr INT he was Mr. UDFA
    Love that.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

True, but several guy who have similar stories reinforces the point to younger players.

Plus, I'm not sure how much vet leadership you can necessarily expect from a guy like Jackson in the offseason program. He will be learning the defense himself, so asking him to help out the new guys is probably too much to ask initially. Come midseason or late season, yeah, he can help then.

But in the offseason program a guy like Callahan is probably the best bet. He has played in the scheme in Chicago and Denver, so while there will be some differences in the scheme (there are always some differences), he should be like having an extra coach.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Send PM

I WANT Callahan to work out for us. The very good news is he appears to currently be healthy.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

If Callahan doesn't make it, I suspect it will be because we have a lot of guys playing well and just found it impossible to keep him. I don't expect that to happen, since I think they want a vet example/vet leadership for all the very young guys, but that is the one thing I see that could get in the way.

Comment

• Caslon
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

I never fully bought into this “mentoring” crap. It seems to be a favorite catch phrase GM’s and HC’s use to help justify signing over the hill vets. The same goes for “locker room presence” and old vets.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Belichick once resigned one extra year an over-the-hill Jr. Seau, even though that version of Jr. was obviously physically shot.

I wonder what Belichick was snorting?

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                Belichick once resigned one extra year an over-the-hill Jr. Seau, even though that version of Jr. was obviously physically shot.

I wonder what Belichick was snorting?
                Was that the year that Jr tackled Turner the Burner for a loss to keep SD out of the endzone in the AFC Championship?

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                  I never fully bought into this “mentoring” crap. It seems to be a favorite catch phrase GM’s and HC’s use to help justify signing over the hill vets. The same goes for “locker room presence” and old vets.
                  Glad you left some wiggle room. The results in general around the league are all over the map from raging success to total flop.
                  With Staley bringing in vets he knows, has worked with and has a good relationship with seems to be an advantage.
                  That said, it's all just talk until the pads go on.

ps: Herbert's calming goat, Daniels may not be a clear win to everyone but I for one would not mess with whatever it is Chase provides.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Glad you left some wiggle room. The results in general around the league are all over the map from raging success to total flop.
                    With Staley bringing in vets he knows, has worked with and has a good relationship with seems to be an advantage.
                    That said, it's all just talk until the pads go on.

ps: Herbert's calming goat, Daniels may not be a clear win to everyone but I for one would not mess with whatever it is Chase provides.
                    I'd feel better if I knew just what it was that Daniels brings to the table that the head coach, offensive coordinator, quarterback coach, play calling coach, offensive line coach, wide receiver coach, tight end coach, butt wiping coach, etc do not. I don't think Herbert is so fragile that he's going to go to pieces without him - NFL QB's have a (very) extended support group.:2cents:

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I'd feel better if I knew just what it was that Daniels brings to the table that the head coach, offensive coordinator, quarterback coach, play calling coach, offensive line coach, wide receiver coach, tight end coach, butt wiping coach, etc do not. I don't think Herbert is so fragile that he's going to go to pieces without him - NFL QB's have a (very) extended support group.:2cents:
                      Go to pieces without? Probably not. Be a better QB with? Probably.
                      This doesn't seem like a good time to mess with things that work.

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

One of the things that a good backup brings to a team is not necessarily just on the field but off the field as well. Rivers loved Volek and Whitehurst as his backups because they brought knowledge and an extra sets of eyes to details that even he would miss. Same thing with Kellen Clemens.
                        Human beings in Southern California have been battling Los Angeles traffic -- and losing -- for decades. It took Philip Rivers just one offseason to come up with a patch.

"An hour and 18 minutes," Rivers said when asked how long the voyage eats up. "Which is nothing. There may be some days where we're hoping to get in a little traffic because we have more work to do."

In the comfort of their $200,000-plus ride, Rivers and Clemens are able to spend their commute talking football, preparing for Sunday's opponent and breaking down game film

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Go to pieces without? Probably not. Be a better QB with? Probably.
                          This doesn't seem like a good time to mess with things that work.
                          Just cut him. If he’s really some mythical QB guru, well Herbie needs to learn how to fly solo sometime. Go with the better backup QB, duh.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍