• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Was that the year that Jr tackled Turner the Burner for a loss to keep SD out of the endzone in the AFC Championship?
    A few years later....Jr was no longer starting on New England.
    Maybe 2009

Comment

• Caslon
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
      Belichick once resigned one extra year an over-the-hill Jr. Seau, even though that version of Jr. was obviously physically shot.

I wonder what Belichick was snorting?
      Ya well. OK. Just saying a lot of short term signings and eventual releases weren’t of Jr. Seau’s (or Rodney Harrison’s) caliber. Far from it.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

Ya well. OK. Just saying a lot of short term signings and eventual releases weren’t of Jr. Seau’s (or Rodney Harrison’s) caliber. Far from it.
        Historically the Chargers have made some terrible choices.
        Under Staley, TE Cook was a luke warm success / failure 1 yr hire. Fackrell was 1 & done.
        They met a short term need, didn't cost a lot, were allowed to leave.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Under Staley, TE Cook was a luke warm success / failure 1 yr hire. Fackrell was 1 & done.
          The Cook signing was the classic case of a vet familiar with the offense to help ease a young QB's transition into it. Nothing wrong with that and he was never going to be here long. It wasn't an earth shattering success but did what I think they wanted it to, even with the drops. But clearly it was time to move on from him and we did.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The Cook signing was the classic case of a vet familiar with the offense to help ease a young QB's transition into it. Nothing wrong with that and he was never going to be here long. It wasn't an earth shattering success but did what I think they wanted it to, even with the drops. But clearly it was time to move on from him and we did.
            Agreed.
            I should have made a more obvious distinction between "historical" and last year. I see no obvious issues with Staley era FAs and give him kudos for Linsley, an excellent signing. Hopefully this year's top FA is as good or better. Khalil Mack is a freak of nature.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post
              I WANT Callahan to work out for us. The very good news is he appears to currently be healthy.
              The one year Staley was in Denver Callahan was out for the whole year. He's like Jason Verrett and Trevor Williams. A good contributor if he can stay on the field.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Glad you left some wiggle room. The results in general around the league are all over the map from raging success to total flop.
                With Staley bringing in vets he knows, has worked with and has a good relationship with seems to be an advantage.
                That said, it's all just talk until the pads go on.

ps: Herbert's calming goat, Daniels may not be a clear win to everyone but I for one would not mess with whatever it is Chase provides.
                I don’t think Staley brought in any vets he doesn’t think will contribute on the field. I tentatively partially agree with Caslon on the overstatement of mentoring. Having some been there done that guys in the locker room obviously helps vs a team entirely green and new. But if they can’t or don’t perform on the field, they won’t be respected by the young Turks in a hyper-testosterone world of pro football. I know because I saw that movie

Which brings me to Sir Daniel. I don’t think much about Daniel holding Herbie’s chi latte in the qb room while herbie displays his MONSTER EPIC. So biggest picture i don’t care. But I don’t see anything on his resume that brings any degree of credential or expertise at all. He’s never been a starter, never been worthy to lead a team, never led a team, he’s never done shit. He’s just been there, big deal. He can’t teach Herbie how to lead a team, win a championship, or be a HOF performer - he hasnt done a single thing in his career.

i don’t think he’s a necessary piece to any puzzle though and all things equal would rather have a QB2 that can play QB. But if Staley and crew get comfy fuzz balls having him around, i don’t care. Playing QB in NFL is very very hard, there are not even 32 guys in the world that can do it well. Not like just picking another great QB2 is like picking the #9 at Jersey Mikes or something. No guarantee a different QB2 can play either.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

UPGRADED

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t think Staley brought in any vets he doesn’t think will contribute on the field. I tentatively partially agree with Caslon on the overstatement of mentoring. Having some been there done that guys in the locker room obviously helps vs a team entirely green and new. But if they can’t or don’t perform on the field, they won’t be respected by the young Turks in a hyper-testosterone world of pro football. I know because I saw that movie

Which brings me to Sir Daniel. I don’t think much about Daniel holding Herbie’s chi latte in the qb room while herbie displays his MONSTER EPIC. So biggest picture i don’t care. But I don’t see anything on his resume that brings any degree of credential or expertise at all. He’s never been a starter, never been worthy to lead a team, never led a team, he’s never done shit. He’s just been there, big deal. He can’t teach Herbie how to lead a team, win a championship, or be a HOF performer - he hasnt done a single thing in his career.

i don’t think he’s a necessary piece to any puzzle though and all things equal would rather have a QB2 that can play QB. But if Staley and crew get comfy fuzz balls having him around, i don’t care. Playing QB in NFL is very very hard, there are not even 32 guys in the world that can do it well. Not like just picking another great QB2 is like picking the #9 at Jersey Mikes or something. No guarantee a different QB2 can play either.
                    I can't imagine that finding a QB better than Daniels at being a 'QB' would be all THAT hard. The undrafted rookie we brought in might be able to do it.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

We already have Easton !

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                        We already have Easton !
                        About a year ago now I could have been more down on Mr Stick. then he came out and soundly outplayed Daniel the entire PS imo. I agree with you on this, and will be watching to see if he repeats.

I found 2 things fascinating here
                        1. Stick took some huge steps from when we last saw him the prior PS.
                        2. Daniel’s entire reason = Lombardi-whisperer, the key guy to mentor the Lombardi design to our Golden God. yet Stick, in just a couple months, mastered it more effectively than Daniel could after many seasons of exposure to it?

maybe the PS game tape was too small sample size bad data and every day in practice Daniel was outplaying Stick? Idunno.

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

About a year ago now I could have been more down on Mr Stick. then he came out and soundly outplayed Daniel the entire PS imo. I agree with you on this, and will be watching to see if he repeats.

I found 2 things fascinating here
                          1. Stick took some huge steps from when we last saw him the prior PS.
                          2. Daniel’s entire reason = Lombardi-whisperer, the key guy to mentor the Lombardi design to our Golden God. yet Stick, in just a couple months, mastered it more effectively than Daniel could after many seasons of exposure to it?

maybe the PS game tape was too small sample size bad data and every day in practice Daniel was outplaying Stick? Idunno.
                          If we need to replace Herbert for one or more games, Stick is the better QB.
                          Meanwhile Daniel is the better player / coach.
                          We're entering year 2 of Lombardi / Staley / Saints / Chargers Offense and I suspect that Daniels with his NO exoerience aids the process.
                          Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡