Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I'd be fine with this - but it's been pointed out that with covid still around it would be safer to have 3 QB's. Daniels would be better than a wide receiver (barely). Is Stick still eligible for the practice squad? I doubt he'd be poached.
    I can see any 3 AFCW rivals poaching Stick in hopes of gaining some inside info on anything Herbert, the offense or Staley himself.
    rat bastards!!
    .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
    .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
    .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
    .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
    .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
    .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
    .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
    .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
    .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I can see any 3 AFCW rivals poaching Stick in hopes of gaining some inside info on anything Herbert, the offense or Staley himself.
      rat bastards!!
      I suppose they could, but if you bring a player on from another teams practice squad they must be carried on the active roster for (I think) at least 3 games?? Can't just move laterally from one PS to another. So - if Stick were to be poached he'd eat up a valuable roster spot, most likely displacing someone else.

Not sure if this would really make sense for opposing teams. There's plenty of tape on Herbert and this offense to review.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

I think it's smarter to keep all three of the QB's but if one must go, I'd drop Daniels.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
          I think it's smarter to keep all three of the QB's but if one must go, I'd drop Daniels.
          Due to his time in service I don't think Daniels is a candidate for PS, but Stick still is. Under the circumstances I agree that keeping 3 QB's is a good idea, but if Stick moves to the PS then at least we only burn 2 roster spots (in lieu of 3).

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Due to his time in service I don't think Daniels is a candidate for PS, but Stick still is. Under the circumstances I agree that keeping 3 QB's is a good idea, but if Stick moves to the PS then at least we only burn 2 roster spots (in lieu of 3).
            We tried to hide a good player on the PS in the past and ended up losing them. I'm not sure how good or bad Stick is but they've kept him for some reason so I'm guessing they think he can play. 2I wouldn't expose a QB to the PS unless I didn't want him at all.

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
              We tried to hide a good player on the PS in the past and ended up losing them. I'm not sure how good or bad Stick is but they've kept him for some reason so I'm guessing they think he can play. 2I wouldn't expose a QB to the PS unless I didn't want him at all.
              Then Daniels it is!!

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

I don't think you can really judge the idea of keeping 2 vs 3 QB until you have a better idea of what the rest of the roster looks like. They don't make many roster decisions in isolation. Remember that Bobby Ross had the Chargers go into a season with only 3 WR on the roster once. It wasn't a plan, it was just recognizing that the guys we had in camp sucked, and we went out and found better guys on the waiver wire in the next few weeks.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I don't think you can really judge the idea of keeping 2 vs 3 QB until you have a better idea of what the rest of the roster looks like. They don't make many roster decisions in isolation. Remember that Bobby Ross had the Chargers go into a season with only 3 WR on the roster once. It wasn't a plan, it was just recognizing that the guys we had in camp sucked, and we went out and found better guys on the waiver wire in the next few weeks.
                  In the abstract QB3 seems like a total waste. But then you look at who Roster Guy #53 is … and what’s he going to do? What are the odds you have so many position player injuries in a game you get down to #53 and he plays that exact same position and plays well enough to ever see the field either? Pretty low odds he’d help, vs the also-rare odds of losing QB1 and QB2 but in that case you are almost sure to lose if you don’t have QB3.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

The big thing with Daniel vs Stick is going to be practice time.

Neither is going to give you anything near what Herbert gives. Hardly any backup QB will. But Daniel can sit on the sideline, take a minimum of reps and still go in and play on Sunday. Stick is the kind of guy who is probably going to look really bad since he took all his snaps running the other team's offense all week.

And then if the starter is hurt, and you only have 1 guy, can you find someone to run practice in short order? It's easy to find a second-rate QB, but can they even communicate with the other guys on the team (football terminology-wise)? And with only 2 guys, you run the risk of that guy maybe having to run the 1's in the next game if the QB2 goes down. They may be equally talented as Stick and Daniel, but if you don't know the playbook, it can look pretty ugly fast.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

My whole thing is I have absolutely no confidence that Chase Daniel can win any games if Herbert is injured. Therefore I don't think there's any good reason to keep him on the roster. If you want three quarterbacks, I get it. But find another quarterback to join Herbert and Stick.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
                        My whole thing is I have absolutely no confidence that Chase Daniel can win any games if Herbert is injured. Therefore I don't think there's any good reason to keep him on the roster. If you want three quarterbacks, I get it. But find another quarterback to join Herbert and Stick.
                        Agree 100%. Daniels is not going to do anything for us. It would be much better to have a developmental type QB behind Stick - Daniels needs to join the coaching staff.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Agree 100%. Daniels is not going to do anything for us. It would be much better to have a developmental type QB behind Stick - Daniels needs to join the coaching staff.
                          I tend to agree that Daniels isn't going to do anything for us, but then I hear Herbert praising him and making it seem that Daniels is very important to him. So maybe he's worth it in that regard?
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡