First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21&500
    replied
    Originally posted by Velo View Post

I'd rather they put all their focus into football, that is all. Maybe win a few Super Bowls first then make some cartoons.
    You want the marketing team to focus on football?
    shouldn't we just leave that to the coaches, players and front office?
    I'm old school like that.

Leave a comment:

• Bolt-O
    replied
    This video is obviously, obviously not football operations, but is just as important the business of operating a football franchise as it is fan engagement. Its nice to see positive news toward the Chargers, anyway they get it.

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    I think it’s incredibly dense and beyond absurd that you can’t seem to differentiate between the social media team, and the FO/coaching staff. I’ll give you a hint but the goal of our social media team, just like every other NFL marketing department, isn’t about prioritizing winning.
    Any team that has a department within its organization that doesn't prioritize winning is doomed.

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied

You think placing a priority on winning football games over cartoonish marketing gimmicks is dense?
    I think it’s incredibly dense and beyond absurd that you can’t seem to differentiate between the social media team, and the FO/coaching staff. I’ll give you a hint but the goal of our social media team, just like every other NFL marketing department, isn’t about prioritizing winning.

Leave a comment:

• equivocation
    replied

You think placing a priority on winning football games over cartoonish marketing gimmicks is dense?
    I can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. They paid someone to do this. They got more views than the Formula 1 race in Miami for a tiny fraction of the cost. F1 is doing those races as a loss leader strategy.

Okay, really really done.

Leave a comment:

• equivocation
    replied

Anime is going to recruit new fans? I must be really old school, because here I was under the belief that winning was the way to build a fan base

The Chargers drafted maybe the best QB talent this century. After two record-breaking seasons, the team still hasn't made the playoffs and it has a losing record over those two seasons. But hey the marketing department makes the best cartoons in the league.
    They are VERY OBVIOUSLY not mutually exclusive factors.

Whatever, this is a waste.

Leave a comment:

• equivocation
    replied

More like recruitment of new fans and solidifying a base in a fickle city like LA. I don’t think coaches care as much. Maybe FA if they want to expand their own personal brand.
    Of course marketing helps a franchise repair it's fan base and market reach after moving.

But 90%+ of players are acrive on social media. It got 3M+ views already and retweets by everyone from Field Yates to Mina Kimes to Mitch Schwartz to Brett Kollman. Duke Manyweather mentioned it. Players will notice.

They will also notice that the Chargers are willing to go there on Urban Meyer, who is not exactly popular with players. Will it ever be a critical factor? Who knows? FA signings are a low quantity event. But it helps to be noticed. The Chargers have never been known as a bold franchise before.

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied

More like recruitment of new fans and solidifying a base in a fickle city like LA. I don’t think coaches care as much. Maybe FA if they want to expand their own personal brand.
    Anime is going to recruit new fans? I must be really old school, because here I was under the belief that winning was the way to build a fan base

The Chargers drafted maybe the best QB talent this century. After two record-breaking seasons, the team still hasn't made the playoffs and it has a losing record over those two seasons. But hey the marketing department makes the best cartoons in the league.

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied

Seriously are you being deliberately dense with comments like this one?

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied
    Originally posted by equivocation View Post

In the long run, increases in brand, marketing, and name recognition help in the recruiting of talent, such as coaches and FAs.

This one particular video may not, but the Chargers are building a reputation for this (they won the Webby for sports marketing last year) and for people who are online (most players are under 30) this will contribute to making the franchise a desirable place.

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied

I'd rather they put all their focus into football, that is all. Maybe win a few Super Bowls first then make some cartoons.
    Seriously are you being deliberately dense with comments like this one?

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied
    I doubt it.

How exactly?
    It helps that it has blown up on Twitter. You get more people talking about something, it helps attract an audience that wouldn’t normally follow the Chargers start getting interested. There are also a lot more anime fans than you think.

At the end of the day, it’s still just a marketing ploy. The foundation was what the team did this off-season with FA and the draft. We don’t win then it won’t matter how many people we attract with this video.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X