• SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
    This isn't news this is the same old stuff

Last time we were effective in the red zone goes back to when we had LT. The reason we are ineffective goes to personnel and philosophy.

Back in the day when we were inside the 5 or near the goal line with LT we had 3 options when he ran plus we had a fullback Lorenzo Neal
    1.he could bust through off the guard
    2. sweep around the end
    3. leap over the top

So back then even if it was a run, you couldn't anticipate it just coming up the middle like we been doing

Currently when we are inside the 5 or near the goal line we are just predictable.
    1. If Gordon is in, big if, it is pretty predictable it is a run
    2. If Woody is in we are predictable it is going to be a quick run hit up the middle or swing pass we even did this when we had Sproles
    3. We don't throw the fade like we use to, only person we don't have from days past is Vincent Jackson, when we would throw it. Gates and Floyd have done this in the past and Keenan Allen is more than athletic enough to jump and go get it.
    4. We try to get to cute and fake our opponent out.
    Agree with a lot of this, but Fred McCrary was the FB for the first couple seasons of LTs career.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
      Because we have 9 seasons of proof Rivers isn't leading us to the Super Bowl being our"best offensive player" is why. We've been a 1 dimensional finesse pass 1st team since 2008 and it's proved not to be the formula to win it all, and we are regressing back to the time our super star RB had to carry the team to victory most the time.
      And how many Superbowls did LT lead us to? It's definitely hurting the team not being able to run and IMO that will not change until the oline gets healthier - hopefully that actually happens this year. But stubbornly trying to run when it isn't working is just as bad as Norv having Rivers take 7 step drops in slow developing pass plays when our line couldn't pass block that long.

Comment

• OhioBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        And how many Superbowls did LT lead us to? It's definitely hurting the team not being able to run and IMO that will not change until the oline gets healthier - hopefully that actually happens this year. But stubbornly trying to run when it isn't working is just as bad as Norv having Rivers take 7 step drops in slow developing pass plays when our line couldn't pass block that long.
        The crazy thing is it the exact same two plays we run and it hasn't changed we run the quick hit up the middle or try to run a draw up the middle.

Crazy point number two the same two plays with same type of players from Sproles, Brandon Oliver, and Woody, they are all small backs, quick, and strong for there size and they aren't going to power people over when we are that close to the goal line.

Crazy point number three the same two plays who knows might work with our bigger back who have power and speed, but we'll never know because lack of trust from the old Ryan Mathews to the new Ryan Mathews (Melvin Gordon)

I am not hating on Melvin Gordon I think McCoy remembers Mathews and not willing to re-live the same mistakes that Mathews made. I will say this and McCoy is going to have to live the mistakes of a rookie with Gordon's talent. Mathews was risk/reward he could get you a 100 yards if you feed him enough and also he could fumble the ball, Gordon has more upside than Mathews he sees the holes better, Gordon is a home run runner, so are we going to ride and die with him and build his confidence?

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
          I am not hating on Melvin Gordon I think McCoy remembers Mathews and not willing to re-live the same mistakes that Mathews made. I will say this and McCoy is going to have to live the mistakes of a rookie with Gordon's talent. Mathews was risk/reward he could get you a 100 yards if you feed him enough and also he could fumble the ball, Gordon has more upside than Mathews he sees the holes better, Gordon is a home run runner, so are we going to ride and die with him and build his confidence?
          Depends on whether or not you think they aren't playing him on the goal line because of his fumbling or because Woodhead, while not the power runner that Gordon is, is a much better blocker, receiver and route runner than Gordon is at this time. I think it's the latter and that coaches prefer to go with a guy who knows what he is doing and is also pretty dangerous.

Comment

• homeless simpson
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

coach number 1: team can't run block, won't use first round rb in the goalline, instead used the smaller rb that is a better blocker, route runner and receiver. The qb is the best player on team.

Coach number 2: exact same thing as number 1.

One of these is considered a soft, finesse pass happy team. The other....well is there really anything different?

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

At some point weather in practice or live games or both, this offensive line needs repetition run blocking to improve the running game. Without practice and live reps we are not going to improve. We have ten games left and I would hate it if we are starting from scratch next year.
              Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
              X