• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

They’re going to give Pipkins every chance to win the job IMO. If he doesn’t, then it’s on to Feiler.
    Too early to say. There are a bunch of possibilities.
    We have a new OL coach and 14 OL with 2 positions locked down. LT & C.
    Feiler is probably LG, Zion probably RG, One of Norton / Pipkins probably RT.
    That could change.
    Training camp is needed to clarify any changes.
    BUT --if it makes anyone feel better, see above by Xenos.

Comment

• Xenos
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I'm OK with it as a 'last resort', as long as the move is still considered if Norton / Pip / Salyer don't work out, but I'm still having trouble with why moving Feiler to RT was / is such an issue, and why there continues to be such resistance to the idea from management. I understand about 'continuity' and the need to keep the left side intact as a solid performing group, but balanced against the complete failure of the right side last year after Aboushi went down It seems strange.

Maybe Feiler isn't as good at tackle as we're all thinking he is??
      Steve mentioned this in the other thread but Feiler lacks length and the athleticism to be a good consistent RT. He's a good, not great, technician at the position so if they need him, he can be the guy. But it seems his fit is better at LG.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

When the Chargers drafted Lamp and Feeny, I tought the OL was locked.
        They were a 2nd and a 3rd draft choice.
        Zion and Salyer are a 1st and a 5th.
        Salyer must be a steal !

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

They’re going to give Pipkins every chance to win the job IMO. If he doesn’t, then it’s on to Feiler.
          This right here.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
            The only reason I still hope a little for the Feiler to RT thing, is because I think Slater-Zion-Linsley-Salyer-Feiler would be a killer oline, with two young, powerful guards, bracketed in by vets. I think its the best combo for now, and the future. Zion and Salyer are gonna make one of the best guard tandems in the league very soon, IMO.

I dont think it has sunk in with many, what a steal Salyer was...and how soon he will be playing on this oline. Unless Salyer is made into our next RT, he and Zion will both be playing inside no later than next year, and Feiler will be playing RT, or he will be a cap casualty. JMO
            I agree completely; I believe this alignment - Slater-Zion-Linsley-Salyer-Feiler is what management wants to happen, just not sure it happens this year. Tough to start 2 rookie guards, no matter how talented they are.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
              Day One...
              • Mar 2019
              • Brentwood, 94513
              • Send PM

Ultimately I would like to have Johnson at LG. Salyer at RG. Or the best to fits to make the right side viable.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                When the Chargers drafted Lamp and Feeny, I tought the OL was locked.
                They were a 2nd and a 3rd draft choice.
                Zion and Salyer are a 1st and a 5th.
                Salyer must be a steal !
                Lamp was a good bet to make it until he got hurt. He never got past his injury. Darned shame.
                Feeny was widely thought a quality OG prospect. He was not a good NFL starter. Might have been the crap OL around him. Coaching, whatever. Glad that chapter is closed.

Zion got killer reviews. High IQ, very focused, athletic.
                Salyer started for the National Champs.
                They should be useful. This is a lot different Chargers organization that they are joining.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                  Here’s more context https://www.ocregister.com/2022/05/2...-expectations/

The Chargers have made several post-draft moves, but nothing significant enough for them to change their plans at right tackle.

Staley reiterated that Storm Norton and Trey Pipkins will compete for the starting role come training camp. But Staley did add that they are comfortable with their in-house backup plans in case Norton and Pipkins don’t impress this summer.

The Chargers added depth at offensive guard in the draft with Zion Johnson and Jamaree Salyer. They also recently claimed offensive lineman Zack Bailey off waivers. That depth would allow the Chargers to move left guard Matt Feiler to right tackle in case Norton and Pipkins don’t pan out.

“Both of those guys played quality football for us,” Staley said. “I think those guys are going to compete. Then we have several guys who have played right tackle – Matt Feiler being one of them. We have some of these young guys who played tackle in college. Again, there’s a lot of time between now and our first game, but I think those guys are going to duke it out.”

Comment

• Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

the worry is less about a singular position, and more about.... are we going to put our best five (or six) OL out there ??

as mentioned before, think Zion is the best LG on the roster, and that Salyer may be the best RT on the roster, and which leaves Feiler @RG.

also don't think the neither of Storm nor Pips are in the pick six for our Oline.... I'll take Salyer against Mack in practice over any of the others.
                    Feiler was a good NFL OT for PIT. I would switch Salyer and Feiler from the alignment you set forth, which is to say that I prefer Salyer playing inside to Norton playing outside at this point.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Feiler was a good NFL OT for PIT. I would switch Salyer and Feiler from the alignment you set forth, which is to say that I prefer Salyer playing inside to Norton playing outside at this point.
                      hope the both of Salyer and Feiler get to line up against a healthy Mack, as am pretty certain what the outcome would/will be when he faces the either of Storm/Trey....
                      RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

hope the both of Salyer and Feiler get to line up against a healthy Mack, as am pretty certain what the outcome would/will be when he faces the either of Storm/Trey....
                        Come training camp, the OT prospects will work out vs Mack, Bosa, Van Noy, Rumph, etc. It won't be the same every day.
                        We'll all learn something.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                          Outback Goon
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Australia
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Come training camp, the OT prospects will work out vs Mack, Bosa, Van Noy, Rumph, etc. It won't be the same every day.
                          We'll all learn something.
                          iron sharpens iron

Comment

Working...
                          X