• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

I hope you are right! But this is serious lets look at this a different way. If you look at the average salary a starting OT makes in the league and then look at what the Chargers are paying their 2 RT options, meaning what their value is as an NFL starter its scary.

Pip signed a 3 year contract for 3.6 million. Storm just signed a 1 year contract 895K. Now look at what the average OT makes in the league based on their value. IF the goal is to protect Herbert at all cost, why not invest in a better RT option.? Again the Raiders are going to line Max up with the RT opening day, what if he does what he did in the last game facing the same RT. It would seem almost like a repeating nightmare!
    If the IOL is good, then Herbert should be able to sidestep pressure from guys like Crosby. The problem in that last Raiders game was also Feiler getting blown up at LG also. Schofield is also just a JAG and depth. Not someone you want starting at RG very long.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
      With a pure pocket passer like Rivers, the IOL was always more important than an RT. It’s because he could usually step up to avoid the edge rush. We just never did a good job of building that IOL after Dielman and Hardwick retired. I think the plan is turning Herbert into more of a pocket passer as well with the occasional out of structure play.

Herbert recognized that defender’s hips were facing inside and that he could beat him with a throw to the outside despite how deep he dropped.

Reading the CB’s hips. That’s some next level skill.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

NO also prioritized interior OL because of Brees’s height. The middle opening up allowed him to complete throws he wouldn’t normally be able to.

No surprise that Brees is staying with the Saints, where he’s ideally situated for a late-career Super Bowl run 

And with Rivers, his escape ability from a free running inside rush was a joke. Herbert is a lot more agile but we still don't want that. It gets in a QB's head.
        RT is the easiest place to help out weak pass D. If needed.
        Clearly many fans expect a swinging door at RT if we don't sign or trade for X the Wonderboy, move Feiler now or whatever.
        Personally, I believe the team is committed to winning. This season.
        Fans preseason approval of their methods is not required.

Comment

• electricgold
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

And with Rivers, his escape ability from a free running inside rush was a joke. Herbert is a lot more agile but we still don't want that. It gets in a QB's head.
          RT is the easiest place to help out weak pass D. If needed.
          Clearly many fans expect a swinging door at RT if we don't sign or trade for X the Wonderboy, move Feiler now or whatever.
          Personally, I believe the team is committed to winning. This season.
          Fans preseason approval of their methods is not required.
          Well it seems the Chargers are trying to put together a D like no other, IE the 85 Bears! If this happens it should take a lot of pressure off of the O and not having a tried and proven RT may not matter if that's the case. If the D is only giving up let's say an average of 20 points a game, the O will just have to score more than that and with this QB he probably could do that in his sleep.

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Well it seems the Chargers are trying to put together a D like no other, IE the 85 Bears! If this happens it should take a lot of pressure off of the O and not having a tried and proven RT may not matter if that's the case. If the D is only giving up let's say an average of 20 points a game, the O will just have to score more than that and with this QB he probably could do that in his sleep.
            I think you should stop worrying about an RT until it actually becomes a problem. It seems that the more important OL was an RG.

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              I am confident that Charger fans will come around--discover the reality of what is happening at ORT--by about September.
              Jeremiah was mistaken about Raimann, post Slater.... what is the chance that Manyweather is mistaken re: Pips, post Slater ??
              RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

I think you should stop worrying about an RT until it actually becomes a problem. It seems that the more important OL was an RG.
                the worry is less about a singular position, and more about.... are we going to put our best five (or six) OL out there ??

as mentioned before, think Zion is the best LG on the roster, and that Salyer may be the best RT on the roster, and which leaves Feiler @RG.

also don't think the neither of Storm nor Pips are in the pick six for our Oline.... I'll take Salyer against Mack in practice over any of the others.
                RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

NO also prioritized interior OL because of Brees’s height. The middle opening up allowed him to complete throws he wouldn’t normally be able to.

No surprise that Brees is staying with the Saints, where he’s ideally situated for a late-career Super Bowl run 

Brees was too short?? Who knew.

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

the worry is less about a singular position, and more about.... are we going to put our best five (or six) OL out there ??

as mentioned before, think Zion is the best LG on the roster, and that Salyer may be the best RT on the roster, and which leaves Feiler @RG.

also don't think the neither of Storm nor Pips are in the pick six for our Oline.... I'll take Salyer against Mack in practice over any of the others.
                    There’s a reason that Salyer dropped. I don’t see an RT in him. Only an IOL. But we’ll see in training camp who emerges in the battles with Mack and Bosa.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

Jeremiah was mistaken about Raimann, post Slater.... what is the chance that Manyweather is mistaken re: Pips, post Slater ??
                      Privately, we don't know what Manyweather thinks regarding Pip's ability to be a solid starting RT.

As far as i'm concerned, he's promoting a client.

BTW, some of us picked our nose and belched out that we thought Raiman was clearly a day 2 pick after Jeremiah promoted him to being a day 1 guy.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Brees was too short?? Who knew.
                        And after prioritizing the interior, Brees still generally had OTs that Rivers could only dream about.

Comment

• eaterfan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2020
                          • Send PM

The RT has been a problem for 5+ years. I'll stop worrying about it when it's fixed. It's not a position where I'm inclined to give TT the benefit of the doubt.

How many years under Rivers (and Herbert's rookie year) did all of us worry about the OL and TT was fine with trotting out Tevi, Olivea, etc.? Just because he's confident in their ability at RT or Herbert's ability to sidestep some of the edge rushers we'll face, doesn't make starting Pipkins there practical if you want to win the SB.

Comment

Working...
                          X