• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolts4ever213
    Day One...
    • Mar 2019
    • Brentwood, 94513
    • Send PM

Beat it till it’s done, then beat it some more. Here's what I see with the oline. Better quality for competition during training camp. The term, iron sharpens iron, also applies to dough being kneed to bread.

Quality matters. They’ve invested in the oline, like never before. Top grade beef at LT and RG. I feel that regardless of where Fieler ends up, Johnson and Slater on the left would be amazing for years to come. Then the rest of the oline can work to become the right side.

The coaches will find out the best fits and we will talk about it until it becomes a redundancy.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I think you should stop worrying about an RT until it actually becomes a problem.
      I think I'm done worrying about RT. For the time being at least.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Well it seems the Chargers are trying to put together a D like no other, IE the 85 Bears! If this happens it should take a lot of pressure off of the O and not having a tried and proven RT may not matter if that's the case. If the D is only giving up let's say an average of 20 points a game, the O will just have to score more than that and with this QB he probably could do that in his sleep.
        This D should hold opponents under 20 pts on avg and the team should have a strong plus giveaway / takeaway result. Combine that with a solid ground game and the already elite pass game. We good.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
          Day One...
          • Mar 2019
          • Brentwood, 94513
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

This D should hold opponents under 20 pts on avg and the team should have a strong plus giveaway / takeaway result. Combine that with a solid ground game and the already elite pass game. We good.
          Remember last year, when we thought that defense would be top 5? Well, not I feel it again, but for real this time.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

This D will be reactionary to the offense.

meaning: will be able to make key stops in order to let the offense close out the clock.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

The RT has been a problem for 5+ years. I'll stop worrying about it when it's fixed. It's not a position where I'm inclined to give TT the benefit of the doubt.

How many years under Rivers (and Herbert's rookie year) did all of us worry about the OL and TT was fine with trotting out Tevi, Olivea, etc.? Just because he's confident in their ability at RT or Herbert's ability to sidestep some of the edge rushers we'll face, doesn't make starting Pipkins there practical if you want to win the SB.
              Herbert got an aging pro bowl RT year one. Unfortunately Bulaga's back went out & didn't come back. Year 2, after corrective surgery, still out. However Herbert did get shiny new coaches, the best C money could buy, a top LT in the draft and decent vet OGs but the RG broke @ 2 1/2 games in.
              Year 3, a round 1 OG, R 6 (solid value) OL & 4 - 5 assorted OL depth.
              Easily the best Chargers OL in this century at LT - C - RT. Dielman #1 LG, Goff vs Zion?

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2021
                • Send PM

RT should be low cost, easy replacement. Hence 6th rounder.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I think I'm done worrying about RT. For the time being at least.

Man the dubbing is awful.

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

The RT has been a problem for 5+ years. I'll stop worrying about it when it's fixed. It's not a position where I'm inclined to give TT the benefit of the doubt.

How many years under Rivers (and Herbert's rookie year) did all of us worry about the OL and TT was fine with trotting out Tevi, Olivea, etc.? Just because he's confident in their ability at RT or Herbert's ability to sidestep some of the edge rushers we'll face, doesn't make starting Pipkins there practical if you want to win the SB.
                    More than 5+ years if you’re mentioning Olivea. Maybe 20+ years. However, the times we’ve been good offensively is not because we’ve had a stud at RT. And you can win a SB even if your RT is mediocre or bad. But the rest of the OL better be good especially at center and LT. Also we’ll see about Pipkins at RT. I just don’t think there’s anything available in FA that would be an upgrade right now. The only guy that was a clear upgrade was Morgan Moses and even he was known as a better run blocker than pass protector.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post

Remember last year, when we thought that defense would be top 5? Well, not I feel it again, but for real this time.
                      Yeah. Turned out most of the roster didn't fit Staley's D scheme and the depth was shallow.
                      That has changed. We have stellar talent on the Edge and at DB, Van Noy and the DL looks strong.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

More than 5+ years if you’re mentioning Olivea. Maybe 20+ years. However, the times we’ve been good offensively is not because we’ve had a stud at RT. And you can win a SB even if your RT is mediocre or bad. But the rest of the OL better be good especially at center and LT. Also we’ll see about Pipkins at RT. I just don’t think there’s anything available in FA that would be an upgrade right now. The only guy that was a clear upgrade was Morgan Moses and even he was known as a better run blocker than pass protector.
                        Salyer/solid >> mediocre/bad
                        RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

unfortunately, think you're gonna have to add a touchdown to that.... <27, and agree....

most everybody thought we would be all world w/both Bosa 'n James healthy, and.... we weren't,
                          RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

Working...
                          X