• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

What Makes a Reach?

I guess some still want to beat the dead horse on this, so here is your chance. Leave it out of the individual player threads please.
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
    I guess some still want to beat the dead horse on this, so here is your chance. Leave it out of the individual player threads please.
    You micro manage way too much.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Fleet

One of the things I like about The Powder Blues was the freedom to post about sports with little interference from admin. And that posters in threads may go on tangents, even arguing to the point of beating the dead horse, as long as it was related to football.

And since I can chose to not read the next post and move on past it.....And since there is a block users function, it seem to me that individual members could chose what to read and respond to without the need to be saved by the stay on topic police.

I'm not of fan of micro management of threads by admins, except for the politics religion. I can do without the On Topic police showing up to lock threads or to micro manage topics into strict silos. And I'm not a fan of members trying to tell others when it's time to move on, especially since they can follow their own advice and move back on topic and ignore or block others. Maybe it's just me...but I don't care who derails a thread into any football topic since I don't have to participate and can instead stay OT with my posts.

:deadhorse: Stay OT!!!!!! Or deal with repercussions.
      It's the new TBP Standard.

If you go off topic, I'm posting this dead horse because I love you.
      :rasta:
      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
        What makes a 'reach'? Someone's opinion. Nothing more - nothing less.

The consensus is a group of opinions - proven to be inaccurate most of the time, or at best not in alignment with the professionals who are paid paid millions and spend days researching prospects (and still get it wrong 1/2 the time), and our takes are opinions, so . . . . no one's going to 'win'.

Argue away . . . .

Comment

• equivocation
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2021
          • Send PM

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

I'll take the cheese, and.... gonna side w/CC, as thinkin' doubtful that the Woods pick was good value, and.... perhaps/prolly not dissimilar from the Palmer & McKitty picks from last go 'round ??

wouldn'ta traded up for Jones tho, as will throw out some even more smackeroodoodle, and say that eye wouldn'ta traded for Mack neither, which woulda left Jones squarely in my sights @48, albeit to tell the truth, woulda prolly gone for Pickens over Travis, and....

the edge guy eye liked @79 was DeAngelo Malone, but again.... how do you pass on Nakobe there ??

and while you're loading up your pea shooters, will add that eye do think that the all of Woods, Palmer and McKitty will likely all turn into valuable contributors, which is better than we can say for the earlier on edition of team Tommy John third round selections.

and while I'm talkin' smak, will take the cheese again re: Stidham.... doesn't suck,

and will look forward to the day he replaces Carr, veryourhead: :shifty: veryourhead::deadhorse: :smoking:

ps. will also freely admit that Malone is prolly a riskier gambit than JT Woods, and that Pickens is also prolly a hellah lot more risky than Travis Jones....
            RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Fleet 1
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Kauai
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
              Fleet

One of the things I like about The Powder Blues was the freedom to post about sports with little interference from admin. And that posters in threads may go on tangents, even arguing to the point of beating the dead horse, as long as it was related to football.

And since I can chose to not read the next post and move on past it.....And since there is a block users function, it seem to me that individual members could chose what to read and respond to without the need to be saved by the stay on topic police.

I'm not of fan of micro management of threads by admins, except for the politics religion. I can do without the On Topic police showing up to lock threads or to micro manage topics into strict silos. And I'm not a fan of members trying to tell others when it's time to move on, especially since they can follow their own advice and move back on topic and ignore or block others. Maybe it's just me...but I don't care who derails a thread into any football topic since I don't have to participate and can instead stay OT with my posts.

:deadhorse: Stay OT!!!!!! Or deal with repercussions.
              It's the new TBP Standard.

If you go off topic, I'm posting this dead horse because I love you.
              :rasta:
              I dont need drama man. Im too chilled out these days. Yer killing my mai tai buzz. Just chill brah. I dont even feel like moderating you 2. He puts in way more time here than i do so i got his back. Ill leave this between you 2. Aloha

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

M. Williams looked like a reach when the Chargers drafted him.
                5 years later, he is not.
                We must consider that the reaching stuff is a long term game.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                  I'll take the cheese, and.... gonna side w/CC, as thinkin' doubtful that the Woods pick was good value, and.... perhaps/prolly not dissimilar from the Palmer & McKitty picks from last go 'round ??

wouldn'ta traded up for Jones tho, as will throw out some even more smackeroodoodle, and say that eye wouldn'ta traded for Mack neither, which woulda left Jones squarely in my sights @48, albeit to tell the truth, woulda prolly gone for Pickens over Travis, and....

the edge guy eye liked @79 was DeAngelo Malone, but again.... how do you pass on Nakobe there ??

and while you're loading up your pea shooters, will add that eye do think that the all of Woods, Palmer and McKitty will likely all turn into valuable contributors, which is better than we can say for the earlier on edition of team Tommy John third round selections.

and while I'm talkin' smak, will take the cheese again re: Stidham.... doesn't suck,

and will look forward to the day he replaces Carr, veryourhead: :shifty: veryourhead::deadhorse: :smoking:

ps. will also freely admit that Malone is prolly a riskier gambit than JT Woods, and that Pickens is also prolly a hellah lot more risky than Travis Jones....
                  This post dosnt really explain what makes a reach, just your preferences but the bolded, got to respond lol .
                  Stidham does suck and would of been your biggest reach ever since you wanted us to draft him in the first round. He is garbage.

He will never replace Carr. Hec if the Raiders sign Kap, Stidham will be 4th string and end up on their PS.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Recipe for Reach

1 part un-educated guess
                    2 parts personal preference
                    1 pinch of echo chamber

Chill
                    Consume
                    Regurgitate

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

A reach is when a GM is desperate to fill a need and takes a gamble on a player by drafting him earlier than projected, hoping he will be better than expected. A classic example of a reach was AJ Smith drafting Jonas Mouton at No. 61 overall in 2011 because he needed an ILB, leaving a player like Justin Houston on the board.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                        A classic example of a reach was AJ Smith drafting Jonas Mouton at No. 61 overall in 2011
                        I forgot his face but remember the name. On was on Chargers teams that were just so-so.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍