• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Weird how the round a player is picked seems to correlate with their developmental time.
    Really? We have a long history of late round picks/UDFAs who came in and contributed right away, even started. Is every player the next Gates? Of course not. But expectations should be all over the place, for every player IMHO. Then see what they do. Not encouraging about Jaimes, but look at Pip. Who knows.

Comment

• Xenos
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Really? We have a long history of late round picks/UDFAs who came in and contributed right away, even started. Is every player the next Gates? Of course not. But expectations should be all over the place, for every player IMHO. Then see what they do. Not encouraging about Jaimes, but look at Pip. Who knows.
      It’s statistics dude. You just said it yourself. The chances of an UDFA being the next Gates is an outlier. Gates, who I remind you, was horrible his rookie season. Otherwise we should just hoard UDFA and trade all our other picks. Expectations are higher for a 1st rounder than a 5th rounder. Especially a 5th rounder only one year. It’s called patience. If they were ready to start right away, they would have been drafted earlier.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

It’s statistics dude. You just said it yourself. The chances of an UDFA being the next Gates is an outlier. Gates, who I remind you, was horrible his rookie season. Otherwise we should just hoard UDFA and trade all our other picks. Expectations are higher for a 1st rounder than a 5th rounder. Especially a 5th rounder only one year. It’s called patience. If they were ready to start right away, they would have been drafted earlier.
        There are ways to increase your chances of success. As far as I'm concerned Pip will be fine for at least a swing tackle which is useful. It seems to me he's (PIP) highly motivated for a bigger payday. It really comes down to Motivation and the desire to put the work in for determining who will most likely be a success or failure. Jaimes has had a season to beef up and learn the playbook. If he's slow witted and not motivated he will be a failure. It's that simple. Maybe goes on the practice squad for another year but after that if he hasn't progressed largely it's time to move on. I have higher expectations for Salyer vs. Jaimes at this point in time and lose no sleep over this one way or another.

:cartman:
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

There are ways to increase your chances of success. As far as I'm concerned Pip will be fine for at least a swing tackle which is useful. It seems to me he's (PIP) highly motivated for a bigger payday. It really comes down to Motivation and the desire to put the work in for determining who will most likely be a success or failure. Jaimes has had a season to beef up and learn the playbook. If he's slow witted and not motivated he will be a failure. It's that simple. Maybe goes on the practice squad for another year but after that if he hasn't progressed largely it's time to move on. I have higher expectations for Salyer vs. Jaimes at this point in time and lose no sleep over this one way or another.

:cartman:
          I just think your way of looking at things is wrong and short sighted. And this goes beyond just Jaimes.

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

I just think your way of looking at things is wrong and short sighted. And this goes beyond just Jaimes.
            In the long run were all Dead! LOL!

So was Staley short sighted for revamping the defense? Looks like he's done even more for improving the oline here as well. I'm sorry were on a timeline to get to mars before we all die.

:cheers:

Comment

• Xenos
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

In the long run were all Dead! LOL!

So was Staley short sighted for revamping the defense? Looks like he's done even more for improving the oline here as well. I'm sorry were on a timeline to get to mars before we all die.

:cheers:
              One year is not that long. And with the defense, it was guys who have been here longer than that and played under a different defensive scheme. Jaimes was drafted under Staley.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Gates rookie season it was only him and Justin Peele who was a second year TE.

Our TEs had 40 receptions that season and Gates emerged as the guy in season 2 and was a pretty damn good one.
                11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

One year is not that long. And with the defense, it was guys who have been here longer than that and played under a different defensive scheme. Jaimes was drafted under Staley.
                  Doesn't mean he couldn't have drafted a lemon in the 5th round. As a first year head coach he probably didn't have as much time with the GM in evaluations here. All I'm saying is yeah give Jaimes another year in development and if there is zero improvement don't waste any more time. Two years of evaluation should be enough time for any person to come up with a conclusion on speed of development and if it's worthwhile. If anything, you should be giving me credit for save the PIP bandwagon. 90% of the board wanted to dump Pip and I said he was wasted under Lynn and we should have a wait and see for a third year.

opcorn:

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Gates rookie season it was only him and Justin Peele who was a second year TE.

Our TEs had 40 receptions that season and Gates emerged as the guy in season 2 and was a pretty damn good one.
                    But you understand my point right?

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Doesn't mean he couldn't have drafted a lemon in the 5th round. As a first year head coach he probably didn't have as much time with the GM in evaluations here. All I'm saying is yeah give Jaimes another year in development and if there is zero improvement don't waste any more time. Two years of evaluation should be enough time for any person to come up with a conclusion on speed of development and if it's worthwhile. If anything, you should be giving me credit for save the PIP bandwagon. 90% of the board wanted to dump Pip and I said he was wasted under Lynn and we should have a wait and see for a third year.

opcorn:
                      Jaimes is under a cheap rookie deal for three more years. Maybe he’ll become something. And maybe he won’t. There’s no need to cut him unless you have a legitimately better option on the team. We finally have decent depth on the OL. Why would you want to mess with that?

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Assuming everyone on the OL is healthy, why would they cut Jaimes? He’s a 5th rounder. That screams backup. If he becomes anything more than it’s a bonus.
                        I agree. The idea is to build up the depth, not start cutting guys. If we can find guys in the latter rounds that are decent back-ups we should keep them. For instance Jaimes has a small salary and he has learned the system here, that's just what you want in your back-ups.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

But you understand my point right?
                          Yep, just saying not many UDFAs are a Antonio Gates. And Gates needed work but only had to be better than Peele.
                          Gates had 24 receptions, Peele had 16.
                          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

Working...
                          X