• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

OT: USC and UCLA to Big 10

USC, UCLA planning move from Pac-12 to Big Ten as early as 2024, sources say

play

0:18
    /
    2:13

11:05 AM PT
    • Pete Thamel
    • Heather Dinich

USC and UCLA, two of the Pac-12's flagship programs, are planning to leave the conference for the Big Ten as early as 2024, and a move is considered imminent, sources confirmed to ESPN on Thursday.

There is still a formal notification process, as the two schools have to let the Pac-12 know their intentions to leave. USC and UCLA also have to formally apply to the Big Ten. According to a source, that process is underway.

Multiple sources told ESPN on Thursday that the move is expected to happen. A source called the next steps "formalities," and an announcement could come within the next 24 hours.

A source said that the exploration of finances and what it would take to make the move has been going on for weeks. While finances are playing a big role in the move, competitiveness, brand and the overall landscape of the future of the sport have played a bigger role.

"USC and UCLA have to make the decisions to position them best for the long term," a source familiar with the move told ESPN. "The future is so uncertain we need to be operating from a position of strength."

The Mercury News first reported the news of USC's and UCLA's planned departures.

The reason this move would be less disruptive than potential moves in the ACC is that USC and UCLA have a grant of rights tied to the current Pac-12 television contract, which expires after the 2023 football season and 2023-24 school year. That's why the expectation is that both schools can go to the league for the 2024-25 season and not suffer any financial penalty.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

News out that UCLA and USC considering leaving the PAC-12 for the Big-10 by 2024. Other schools might leave the PAC-12 as well, but that might force a move by the PAC-12 to look at SDSU and Boise St to fill. Both school will fit with decent Football and Basketball programs, but my thinking nothing will happen.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...pac-12-big-ten

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Another earthquake coming?

Its probably big money, but a competitive disadvantage having to travel east for half of the games. And the loss of historical rivals is pretty devastating too.

I’d be surprised if this happens as stated.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

More on timing

Today, June 30, would be the last day USC and UCLA could inform the Pac-12 they intend on leaving the conference if they want to avoid potential additional financial penalties, three sources tell CBS Sports' Matt Norlander. The active Pac-12 grant of rights expires on June 30, 2024.....so if you wanted to know why this is coming out today, there is your answer.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Wednesday meeting solidified move

Multiple outlets have reported that Big Ten presidents and athletic directors met last night to discuss this possibility, and Sports Illustrated has reported that the vote was strongly in favor of adding UCLA/USC. SI's Ross Dellenger also reported that Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren is in London right now on league business, which just goes to show that college sports is a global enterprise now. Great day for Warren, who didn't have much to put on his resume until this. Big power move.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Will leave topic here for now... probably should be where I started it in the Off Topic area.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

For the most part, i've stopped watching college football....absolutely no tradition anymore other than slick coaching staffs chasing recruits.

Once they both move, i'll take zero interest.

College football has become just a greatly inferior brand of football to the NFL.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Mike Golic Jr

@mikegolicjr
                also if ND is joining a conference now it's 100% the Big Ten
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Robby McCombs

@rtmccombsFollow

Could see the SEC & Big 10 breaking off to form the P2 with their own commissioner. Big 10 adds UW, Oregon, Notre Dame. SEC adds Clemson, Miami, FSU. NFL style scheduling every year with 38 teams. Lots of money.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

The rich get richer. It’s the American way. I’m starting to think this momentum is unstoppable.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

PAC would have to be utter morons to not backfill with SDSU and UNLV, so the probably won't.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

How USC and UCLA to Big Ten could happen, when and what it means

By Nicole Auerbach
                        27m ago

USC and UCLA are in advanced conversations to leave the Pac-12 for the Big Ten as early as 2024, The Athletic’s Nicole Auerbach confirmed Thursday. After holding a meeting on Wednesday evening, an announcement from Big Ten presidents and athletic directors could come as early as Thursday, with schools expected to submit formal paperwork Thursday, according to a source.

Multiple sources told The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman that the two Pac-12 schools were the ones to reach out to the Big Ten about a move.

The Pac-12’s current membership has been together since 2011, when Colorado and Utah joined the league from the Big 12 and the Mountain West, respectively. Before that, the last changes to membership were the addition of Arizona and Arizona State in 1978.

What does this mean for the Pac-12, the Big Ten and conference moves going forward? Find out this and more below.
                        What’s the future of the Pac-12 after this?

It’s wildly uncertain. This is very reminiscent of the feeling within the Big 12 last summer after its flagship schools left. There will be fears that other schools will also leave — or try to leave — and concerns about depreciating value in the Pac-12’s upcoming media rights negotiations without the LA schools in the fold.
                        How do USC and UCLA fit in the Big Ten?

They are both AAU schools, which is an important and prestigious academic distinction. This is and has always been important to the Big Ten as it has considered adding members over the years. So, that checks that box. USC and UCLA also care about broad-based programming in men’s and women’s sports, which is equally important as we think about shared missions and values.

Obviously, the brands are massive from a football/basketball standpoint, particularly the traditions of USC football and UCLA basketball. L.A. will be yet another massive market for the Big Ten to be in, joining New York, Washington, D.C. and Chicago.
                        How does this move benefit USC and UCLA?

It benefits their bottom line. They will be making much, much more money in annual payouts tied to media rights revenue. The Athletic explored financial projections a few months ago — without the knowledge that the Big Ten would be poaching the two L.A. schools — and dove into the separation between the SEC/Big Ten revenue and everyone else. Our projections showed Big Ten schools making more than $100 million per year by the end of the decade. That’s what USC and UCLA want. That slice of the pie.

Which Big Ten programs will these additions help the most?

Everyone who recruits on the West Coast. So, yeah, this is good for Ohio State, which already gets California kids. And Michigan to a lesser extent. And anyone else who wants SoCal talent. The blue bloods benefit immensely from it becoming part of the league’s footprint. And the western wing (or division, or whatever you want to call it) of the Big Ten just got a lot stronger in general.
                        Should fans be prepared for more conference realignment?

Yes. No one I talked to on Thursday expects that the Big Ten will stop at 16 members.

Of course, the league should try to grab Notre Dame now, and if it can’t get the Irish, then perhaps it looks at Stanford and/or Oregon. Or elsewhere. But it certainly feels like the era of super conferences is coming sooner rather than later in the Big Ten and SEC. Does that mean 20-member leagues? 24? 36? It’s too soon to tell.
                        What will be the financial ramifications of the moves?

The Big Ten was already set to cash in with its next media rights deal. Adding two blue blood programs in the L.A. market only makes the Big Ten more appealing to its potential partners. The Athletic’s projections from March showed Big Ten schools making at least $100 million apiece annually by the end of the decade, but those projections didn’t include USC and UCLA.

It’s good to use that as a ballpark figure — and to know that we’re talking big money. Only SEC teams (after the addition of Oklahoma and Texas) will likely make more annually.

Or maybe the Big Ten schools eventually make more than their counterparts in the SEC. We’ll have a better idea in a few weeks when the Big Ten nails down its new deal.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞