• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

So I was watching a video unrelated to the NFL yesterday, and this one was suggested on the side. I got into it and laughed out loud about what John Elway and Randall Cunningham said regarding Drew Bledsoe's potential. Obviously Justin Herbert has much more potential than Drew Bledsoe did, but what Elway and Cunningham said was absolutely ridiculous at that point in time. It reminded me of the conversation I just had with Chain and D-Mac.Throw in the fact that Tom Brady followed Bledsoe, and it makes it even funnier.

It's from 24:10 to 24:40 if any of you are curious.

Comment

• Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
      So I was watching a video unrelated to the NFL yesterday, and this one was suggested on the side. I got into it and laughed out loud about what John Elway and Randall Cunningham said regarding Drew Bledsoe's potential. Obviously Justin Herbert has much more potential than Drew Bledsoe did, but what Elway and Cunningham said was absolutely ridiculous at that point in time. It reminded me of the conversation I just had with Chain and D-Mac.Throw in the fact that Tom Brady followed Bledsoe, and it makes it even funnier.

Good choice to shift your approach since I already showed 11 different statistical categories in 2021 in which Herbert was better than Mahomes. Of course, bringing up a totally irrelevant video about Drew Bledsoe probably is not the answer either if you really going to go into full retreat.

Justin Herbert is the NFL record holder after two seasons in both completions and passing yards. He holds the franchise record for completions in a season, passing yards in a season and TDs on a team for which Dan Fouts, Drew Brees and Philip Rivers played a combined 36 seasons.

Hebert is the man. He is better than Mahomes. You and all of the other Mahomers out there can just deal with it.

Go Chargers!!!

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Most talented players don't always succeed. Some don't even make the team. It's more what's inside.
        It's all about chemistry. Talent alone won't get it done.
        The good teams are good at what they do.
        I know it's not a one man team win or lose.
        It's fun leading this offense. I don't think we've hit our peak.
        Obviously talent gets you to a certain point, but it's what you do with it, how you handle.
        I accomplished so many things, so early in my career.

One of the best things to happen to me in my career was having an opportunity to play with Reggie White . And I think the way I handle myself today, the fun I try to bring to this team and the intensity I try to bring, not only in games but in practices, meetings and things like that is from Reggie White . No doubt about it. What a great player. And it's a great honor to say I played with Reggie White .

Four Stats

The only stat that matters is wins.

There is only one thing that makes any one athlete better than another, his heart. (James Joyce)
        RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Well shit. You’ shifted to 3-D chess while I’m over here dribbling coffee on my nightshirt and wondering what that other stain is. I have no idea if this latest research of yours deflates my impressively vague arguments or tears them to shreds as my eyeballs still hurt and i haven’t watched the video yet, Of course, that won’t stop me from posting - I’m a TPB’er!

You win, i just can’t connect the dots. I am willing to concede the gladiators are equal and tied for best and negotiate an armistice. Shake on it?

Season 7 Nbc GIF by The Office
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Justin Herbert is the NFL record holder after two seasons in both completions and passing yards. He holds the franchise record for completions in a season, passing yards in a season and TDs on a team for which Dan Fouts, Drew Brees and Philip Rivers played a combined 36 seasons.

Hebert is the man.
            I agree. He's already the best player the Chargers have ever had.

He is better than Mahomes. You and all of the other Mahomers out there can just deal with it.
            I don't know about that. We'll need to see more seasons by *both* players to make a definitive statement about who's better.

Mahomes has a certain otherworldly, seemingly magical ability to get things done that others can't.

Lamar Jackson is a bigger running threat, but can't hold a candle to Mahomes as a passer.

Herb can't run like either of them. He's nevertheless highly mobile, and has an elite NFL arm. He may not have the *best*-- the #1-- arm in the NFL, but no one could argue with you that he's in the Top 5, if not the Top 3.

But that's details. Mahomes has a ring. Until Herb gets one, he'll be viewed a level below Mahomes.

I'm grateful that the Bolts have Herb, irrespective of where you'd rank him relative to other QBs. Like I said above-- he's already the best player the Chargers have ever had.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
              French Speaking Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Québec city
              • Send PM

Can we say a player is the best of all time on a team only after two seasons ?
              If i'm D. Fouts or L. Tomlinson, I'm a little bit upset.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                We can. MFIC and LT can join the mahomeys in learning how to deal with it, i guess. I tend to soften it by saying Herbert will be the best Charger of all time … giving them the momentary illusion he’s not already. I’m being kind. Justin is also better than Patrick, but the debate has grown old and stale so whats the point now?
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Yeah let's not get carried away. Too soon for that imo. Seau, LT,... I mean we got guys in the HOF and another on his way.

I'll also add, Herbert has set team records already as well (yards, TDs) which is nice but Fouts and Rivers never threw the ball 672 times in a season and Brees wasn't near in his prime when we had him....and the most passes he threw in a season here was 526 in his second year, first as a starter and he wasn't very good yet. And last season we were near the bottom in rushing.

I got no problem saying Herbert will no doubt be our all time best QB moving forward,.... Barring injury, but he hasn't peaked yet and he and Mahomes are neck and neck right now.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Herbert had the best 1st two years of any Chargers QB.
                    His throwing skills, arm strength and talent are in contention for all- time best at QB.
                    Best player any position, any time? That's a tough row to hoe.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Well shit. You’ shifted to 3-D chess while I’m over here dribbling coffee on my nightshirt and wondering what that other stain is. I have no idea if this latest research of yours deflates my impressively vague arguments or tears them to shreds as my eyeballs still hurt and i haven’t watched the video yet, Of course, that won’t stop me from posting - I’m a TPB’er!

You win, i just can’t connect the dots. I am willing to concede the gladiators are equal and tied for best and negotiate an armistice. Shake on it?

Season 7 Nbc GIF by The Office
                      Not out to win. I think you and I are having a fine conversation. Just thought the video was funny.

ESPN interviewed NFL executives, coaches, and players in order to comprise a Top 10 list at quarterback, and it shook out like this:

10. Dak Prescott
                      9. Deshaun Watson
                      8. Russell Wilson
                      7. Justin Herbert
                      6. Matthew Stafford
                      5. Joe Burrow
                      4. Tom Brady
                      3. Josh Allen
                      2. Patrick Mahomes
                      1. Aaron Rodgers

It's an insider article, so I can't read it, but I think we all agree that Herbert is ranked too low. I think Herbert should be somewhere in the three-to-five range, as I believe he is better than Brady and Stafford, and while I think Herbert is better than Allen and Burrow, I can see how others would feel the opposite. I think watching Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Mahomes, and Watson (if he actually plays) is right up there with the days of Elway, Kelly, Marino, and Moon. Although quarterback is not my favorite position (I'm a bigger fan of defense, hence my screen name), it's an interesting time to be watching the game.

Now, cue Chain educating us on how bad every other quarterback is...Lol.
                      Deshaun Watson at No. 9? No Lamar Jackson? You've got to be kidding me!

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Herbert had the best 1st two years of any Chargers QB.
                        His throwing skills, arm strength and talent are in contention for all- time best at QB.
                        Best player any position, any time? That's a tough row to hoe.
                        Needs to stop throwing pick 6s in the 4th quarter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I agree. He's already the best player the Chargers have ever had.

I don't know about that. We'll need to see more seasons by *both* players to make a definitive statement about who's better.

Mahomes has a certain otherworldly, seemingly magical ability to get things done that others can't.

Lamar Jackson is a bigger running threat, but can't hold a candle to Mahomes as a passer.

Herb can't run like either of them. He's nevertheless highly mobile, and has an elite NFL arm. He may not have the *best*-- the #1-- arm in the NFL, but no one could argue with you that he's in the Top 5, if not the Top 3.

But that's details. Mahomes has a ring. Until Herb gets one, he'll be viewed a level below Mahomes.

I'm grateful that the Bolts have Herb, irrespective of where you'd rank him relative to other QBs. Like I said above-- he's already the best player the Chargers have ever had.

I disagree with any sort of Mahomerism in which he is characterized as "otherwordly". Having seen both players on the same field in the same game in person, I can 100% guarantee you that Herbert is the bigger, faster player and that he regularly throws a better ball than Mahomes does. Simply put, our car has a bigger and better engine than their car.

Also false is this notion that Mahomes is a better runner than Herbert. He is not. Herbert is faster than Mahomes. The two players had very comparable rushing stats in 2021 (366 yards and 2 TDs for Mahomes versus 302 yards and 3 TDs for Herbert). But keep in mind that opposing defenses played KC very deep because of Hill, which would naturally make it easier for the QB to run in that situation.

Herbert was flat out better than Mahomes in 11 statistical categories in 2021. Some have tried to argue that Mahomes is more accurate because he had a higher completion percentage. This conclusion is false. Herbert actually was the QB with the higher on target percentage, finishing in the top 3 overall in the NFL in that category. Mahomes did not finish in the top 10. Herbert was in the top 6 in lowest poor throw percentage. Mahomes was in the bottom 6 in lowest poor throw percentage, meaning that he threw a higher percentage of poor passes than the vast majority of NFL QBs.

Again, Super Bowl wins are a team accomplishment, not an individual accomplishment. Being on a Super Bowl winning team has zero bearing with respect to a determination of which of two QBs is the better player. That is the kind of nonsense that Giants fans throw out to try to claim that Eli Manning was a better player than Philip Rivers when Rivers was leaps and bounds better than Eli Manning was.

Because of the flukish statistical outlier beginning of his 2018 season, Mahomes has always been given more credit than he is due to the point that when our own QB has a better season than Mahomes as happened in 2021, many Chargers fans refuse to accept that Herbert is simply the more physically gifted and better QB. That is not to say that Mahomes is not a great QB. He is a top 5 QB, but Herbert is better.

Comment

Working...
                          X