• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

AFC West Roster Positional Rankings

Something started on the old Charger SDUnion board: who was that famous poster? He came over here, had some tough protracted battles with Chaincrusher, who was patrolling his turf; and then he left never to be heard from again.

Here's my rankings of AFC west position groups (to get the ball rolling): I'll fill it in when i have more time. 4 points - 1rst, 3 points - 2nd, 2 points - 3rd, 1 point - 4rth

Offense:

QB:

1. Patrick Mahomes (AFC championship & Super Bowl appearance is why he beat out Herbert)
    2. Justin Herbert
    3. Russell Wilson
    3. Derek Carr

Offensive line:

1. Los Angeles
    2. Kansas City
    4. Denver
    4. Las Vegas

Wide receivers:

1. Las Vegas
    1. Los Angeles
    3. Denver
    4. Kansas City

Tight ends:

1. Kansas City
    2. Las Vegas
    3. Los Angeles
    4. Denver

Running backs

1. Denver
    2. Los Angeles
    3. Las Vegas
    4. Kansas City

Defense:

Defensive interior:

1. Kansas City
    2. Denver
    2. Los Angeles
    4. Las Vegas

Edge:

1. Los Angeles
    2. Las Vegas
    3. Denver
    4. Kansas City

inside linebackers (weakest position group in the AFC west)

1. Las Vegas
    2. Kansas City
    3. Denver
    4. Los Angeles

safeties

1. Los Angeles
    2. Denver
    3. Kansas City
    4. Las Vegas

Corners:

1. Denver
    2. Los Angeles
    3. Kansas City
    4. Las Vegas

Total: Chargers 30 points, Las Vegas 22, Denver 24 points, Kansas City 25 points
  • bartman83642
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

What about special teams?

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Looks about right

If the only thing we're last on is iLB, I'm feeling good.
      .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
      .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
      .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
      .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
      .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
      .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
      .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
      .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
      .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by bartman83642 View Post
        What about special teams?
        Lets not ask
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Lets not ask
          No one cares about special teams. Except if it's kickers and returners.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

I really hope Spiller becomes a very good player. For obvious reasons, but one of them being because you have the Denver Broncos #1, and I can't stand Melvin Gordon for being such an idiot.

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

personally, wouldn't be ranking Herbie ahead of any of the other QBs quite yet.... he was .500 against Carr and all the rest of 'em last year, and as noted Mahomes has the postseason accolades under his belt, and so does Russell for that matter, not to mention having some of the best intangibles in the biz, and.... we know the none of us would trade Herb for the any of 'em, and again personally.... just a bit more comfortable ranking him last until he clearly demonstrates mastery over the all of 'em.

and re: the Oline, not sure I'd put us ahead of KC, as sure, we look good on paper, but think it's pretty much a toss up until proven otherwise, and.... think the edge goes to KC, based on their record.

@RB, not sure I'd rank us ahead of the any of 'em again, as guessin' I like Ronald Jones better than most.... ??

think WR & TE are pretty right on, and.... none too easy all things considered to suss this out.

and understand the sentiment @ILB, and.... Murray has got to be >> Jewell

some real talent @safety in this division as well, and....

nice job pbb.... a daunting task to be even close to accurate w/such an undertaking

ps. am slotting us third as of now, as giving the incumbents the benefit of the doubt outta the gate.... Mahomes and Wilson, and as will, somewhat reluctantly, put us ahead of the Raiders (as would rather see it on the field)

do think we've still got a ? @RB2, and on D, we need DB health for the duration, and.... any uptick from Tillery/Murray would help tremendously.
              RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                personally, wouldn't be ranking Herbie ahead of any of the other QBs quite yet.... he was .500 against Carr and all the rest of 'em last year, and as noted Mahomes has the postseason accolades under his belt, and so does Russell for that matter, not to mention having some of the best intangibles in the biz, and.... we know the none of us would trade Herb for the any of 'em, and again personally.... just a bit more comfortable ranking him last until he clearly demonstrates mastery over the all of 'em.

and re: the Oline, not sure I'd put us ahead of KC, as sure, we look good on paper, but think it's pretty much a toss up until proven otherwise, and.... think the edge goes to KC, based on their record.

@RB, not sure I'd rank us ahead of the any of 'em again, as guessin' I like Ronald Jones better than most.... ??

think WR & TE are pretty right on, and.... none too easy all things considered to suss this out.

nice job pbb.... a daunting task to be even close to accurate w/such an undertaking

ps. am slotting us third as of now, as giving the incumbents the benefit of the doubt outta the gate.... Mahomes and Wilson, and as will, somewhat reluctantly, put us ahead of the Raiders (as would rather see it on the field)

do think we've still got a ? @RB2, and on D, we need DB health for the duration, and.... any uptick from Tillery/Murray would help tremendously.
                Carr was only 500 against Herbert too, so how could you put him ahead of him. In the LV loss, Herbie threw for 380+ yards and 3 TDs with a fucking turnstile RT letting Crosby on him every single play. he is most definitely not the reason they lost. They lost because their shit defense gave up score after score after score and because Norton couldn’t block a snail from crossing a sidewalk.

All you have to do is watch Herbie and Carr play to know Herbert >>> Carr. Fuck Carr.
                I’m not rating Russell over Herbert until he shows it on the field in Denver.

2021 Justin was #3 QBR among starters behind Aaron and Tom only.
                - Mahomey was #5
                - Wilson 10, Carr 14

Justin is the only one with any reason to believe is ascending. Russell Wilson is playing out his twilight, Carr is who Carr has always been - a guy with arm talent that will never be a star QB. Mahomes is a rodeo trickster, maybe he pulls it off and maybe he doesn’t. He doesn’t have his super weapon - i expect a drop off. He was better 2 years ago than last year imo

ESPN is the place for NFL stats! Discover the Offense Passing stat leaders of the 2023 NFL Regular Season.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Its still a team game beach. If our defense is #15 last year, or hec 20 we beat LV twice and maybe KC twice. Herbert isnt out there by himself like some pundits think QBs are. Its a lame setup when announcers and pundits say its Herbert vs Mahomes.

Not it isnt, its Herbert vs KCs defense and vice versa.....and Mahomes had the advantage there last season.

The fact you list what you feel we need to improve on still, has nothing to do with Herbert. Its the team.
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 07-02-2022, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Herbert was .500 against LVR, KC & Den defenses. Carr & Mahomes were .500 vs the 2021 Chargers D.
                    They were not the same level of competition. Based on that Herbert clearly had a better performance.

In the '22 season JH 10 looks good going in. Admittedly the AFCW has quality QBs. but I will not be surprised if 10 has the top stats in inter- AFCW competition.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Agree Herbert sucks. You should probably rate him last in the AFC right? Any GM worth their salt would take their current QB over Herbert.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

The Chargers' WRs are much better than the Raiders. It's not even close really. The Chargers have the deepest WR corps on the league.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍