Clear All
  • captaind
    Cook This Pork Chops
    • Jun 2013
    • Mars
    • Ball Holder
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

What do you watch when the game does go to commercial - just banner screen waiting for them to come back?
    If you watch immediately after the game is over, there will be commercials still in it, and even the halftime shows. After a few hours, they will have cut them all out.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by johnnywyoming View Post
      I had Sunday Ticket years ago but ditched it and Direct TV as it grew more expensive every year. Since then, for perhaps five or six years, I have subscribed to Game Pass. I have lived outside of the Charger home broadcast area since 1980 when I left San Diego. Game Pass allows me to watch every Charger game (and any other game) without the commercials and without watching the buffoons on the halftime shows. Game Pass still has a few issues concerning showing other games' scores but they have improved each year. I cover the score crawl at the bottom of the screen and need to be alert to mute the announcers when they blurt out other game scores. I also have to avoid this forum :shrug:until I finish watching the week's AFC West games! For me, it works out great. Off-season I can rewatch any game I like. Yesterday I watched the Bengals game (yep, they still lost). The regular price is $99 but I have been paying $79 since 2020. Last week I received an e-mail stating the Game Pass name would change to NFL+ and once again $79 for the upcoming season. I deleted the e-mail or I would have pasted it here. Not a fit for everyone I realize but it works for me...
      If they didn't have the scores showing on the bottom line it would be perfect. I put a ruler over the crawl, so that's how I get by, but it would be nice to not have to do that. Lol.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

If you watch immediately after the game is over, there will be commercials still in it, and even the halftime shows. After a few hours, they will have cut them all out.
        Ahh mybad. Gotcha. Thanks.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• johnnywyoming
          Eeyore is Joey's #1 fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Oregon
          • Retirement
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

What do you watch when the game does go to commercial - just banner screen waiting for them to come back?

I DVR’d most games the last decade to skip commercials and HT, which is why I avoid GDT here most weeks. Its not I don’t want to watch live, but just alot of busy activities on weekends and it’s hard to devote 3:15 minutes in one sitting. A game is under 2 hrs.

This year my new Theater Room is fully operational and it is epic. 120” 4k Laser projector with full surround sound, two rows of theater power recliners (2nd row elevated 1 ft of course), its amazing. Built in frig, popcorn machine, snack bar, ,,, I will probably tune in from opening kickoff and forego the extra hour I would have saved
          I usually watch the AFC West games starting Monday afternoon. It may take a few days to watch them all depending on how busy I am with renovating the house, yard work, etc. Other than being outside of the Charger's broadcast area my main reason is that I don't want to spend three hours watching a game. It does take time for Game Pass to edit out the commercials and halftime but generally by Monday afternoon they have finished. The edits are not always exact. If a commercial or long timeout or whatever shows up (for ex: Thursday Night Football when they cut to the announcer booth they show other scores behind the announcers at the top of the screen), I simply fast-forward through with my Roku. When they show a touchdown from another ongoing game I simply mute it and place my hand in front of my eyes where I cannot see the update but can tell when they are finished and have gone back to the game. It's tricky sometimes, and once in a while, I will see a score that I did not want to see. Each year the Game Pass setup has changed trying to make it more user-friendly. You can switch the scores off on the games menu. One thing I wish they would address tho is the practice of stating that a game went into overtime on the menu... I don't want to know that beforehand. I have a 65" Samsung DLP set that I have had for many years as the centerpiece for my sound surround theater. Now if they could find a way to automatically mute Collingsworth...:rasta:
          Thank God for morons. Without them who would the rest of us have to blame things on?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by johnnywyoming View Post

I usually watch the AFC West games starting Monday afternoon. It may take a few days to watch them all depending on how busy I am with renovating the house, yard work, etc. Other than being outside of the Charger's broadcast area my main reason is that I don't want to spend three hours watching a game. It does take time for Game Pass to edit out the commercials and halftime but generally by Monday afternoon they have finished. The edits are not always exact. If a commercial or long timeout or whatever shows up (for ex: Thursday Night Football when they cut to the announcer booth they show other scores behind the announcers at the top of the screen), I simply fast-forward through with my Roku. When they show a touchdown from another ongoing game I simply mute it and place my hand in front of my eyes where I cannot see the update but can tell when they are finished and have gone back to the game. It's tricky sometimes, and once in a while, I will see a score that I did not want to see. Each year the Game Pass setup has changed trying to make it more user-friendly. You can switch the scores off on the games menu. One thing I wish they would address tho is the practice of stating that a game went into overtime on the menu... I don't want to know that beforehand. I have a 65" Samsung DLP set that I have had for many years as the centerpiece for my sound surround theater. Now if they could find a way to automatically mute Collingsworth...:rasta:
            Thats cool. If I was outside the broadcast area, I’d have gotten Ticket or Game Pass or something too and then start watching a lot more games as a result. The time I was living in Detroit I had my best friend NFL Ticket because he had Direct TV satellite. That was before Game Pass existed. He was from Michigan but he’d watch with me just because McMann was our QB and he was Go Blue alumni. And he was a good friend. Our team sucked then - mid/late 90s before the Butler/AJ renewal.

Wolverine games were a blast going to. Its amazing 100k+ people were inside that stadium, inside it doesn’t look any bigger than a 60k NFL stadium. I guess everyone is just crammed tighter, less comforts of modern living. Of course, I was in my 30s then too so … yeah, fun times

Comment

• SuperCharged
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Utah
              • Midnight Toker
              • Send PM

I hope it changes. I have had Direct TV for 15 years now just to get the Sunday Ticket. My bill is almost $200 a month + the $300 for the sunday ticket.

That being said I have never had a problem with signal or anything. Service is ok just way way way to expensive. + they have given about 4 free seasons in that time.

I am a Prime member so I am ready for the switch.

Comment

• Blue Thunder
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Arlington, TX
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
                I hope it changes. I have had Direct TV for 15 years now just to get the Sunday Ticket. My bill is almost $200 a month + the $300 for the sunday ticket.

That being said I have never had a problem with signal or anything. Service is ok just way way way to expensive. + they have given about 4 free seasons in that time.

I am a Prime member so I am ready for the switch.
                I could have written this exact same post with the only difference being that I've been with them for a little over 20 years. I agree that it is WAY too expensive.

Comment

• UtahBolt
                  Did we win?
                  • Jun 2013
                  • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                  • Send PM

I have been streaming Sunday Ticket for years through the Sunday Ticket App and using my friend's daughter's student information (with her approval) for the discount. She graduated but now my own daughter is headed off to school so no worries here. I think it has only been $99 or something so it has been pretty cheap and the quality through my ROKU has been great. I am good with the NFL moving to full streaming but I bet it's gonna cost us "students" quite a bit more money per year!
                  I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
                    I have been streaming Sunday Ticket for years through the Sunday Ticket App and using my friend's daughter's student information (with her approval) for the discount. She graduated but now my own daughter is headed off to school so no worries here. I think it has only been $99 or something so it has been pretty cheap and the quality through my ROKU has been great. I am good with the NFL moving to full streaming but I bet it's gonna cost us "students" quite a bit more money per year!
                    If you look, you can get a 20% discount on the education version so I was getting it for $79. Now that my kids have all graduated, it's time to hit up my college professor sister to use her email address to sign up until the NFL makes it available to everyone.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

I can’t imagine they go full / only streaming. Broadcast games will remain the standard - streaming is extra for extra-junky addicts. For any market - there might be one game you have to stream to get - idunno. I saw the Chief game is Amazon, but I’ll bet it’s broadcast locally on Ch8

Comment

• bartman83642
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post

Yep and as soon as AT&T bought DTV it went crap in a hurry. They still call me wanting me back.
                        Never as good once they got bought out for sure. I have stuck with them though as every year they give me the Sunday Ticket for free. Guess soon I will probably have to look at going another direction.

Comment

• johnnywyoming
                          Eeyore is Joey's #1 fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Oregon
                          • Retirement
                          • Send PM

NFL+ is launching today.

NFL+ -- the National Football League’s exclusive streaming subscription service -- officially launches today.

Thank God for morons. Without them who would the rest of us have to blame things on?

Comment

Working...
                          X