Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

While I love Sean Payton as a coach, it is just not the way this organization works. I haven't seen anything to indicate Staley is in over his head (and I don't consider going for it so often on 4th down as being over his head) and expect a deep playoff run so it's going to be a moot point.
    I don't think this season is going to be a failure either. I like Staley, he really does seem to have a plan. But he has to show me more this season. If it turns out he is in over his head, and the Chargers fall flat, I would advocate for the Spanoses to cut their losses and not waste any more of Herbert's career, especially if a guy like Payton is available. Too much is at stake.

But, again, I don't think it will happen. Staley has got his team now, and I am expecting big things this season.

Comment

• Shock&Awe
      Great White North
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      We are over next season's cap projection by almost $14 million. We will get under using a bunch of restructures and such, so that isn't a huge issue (it will be tricky, but I don't think it is that difficult). The point is that the organization is all in on Staley and Herbert and making a championship run. They aren't hedging on having a bunch of cap space to bring in Payton's favorites.

The other major problem with the Chargers last year was mostly due to the change in schemes. The D was a major disappointment after being a solid unit the year before. Staley deserves a big part of the blame for that, but it is silly to think we wouldn't necessarily go through the same thing if we switched to Sean Payton.
      I agree, Herbert on his rookie deal is the perfect window. Once you have to pay him that record setting deal there's going to be a lot of players we like that they're going to have to move on from. There's a reason TT went "all-in" this off-season. It's the perfect time to strike. Bringing in Payton does bring us any closer to a championship, in actuality I think he's worse. Those Saints team have underperformed for years in the post-season. Staley is a clean slate.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

There are plenty of examples where a vet coach who has enjoyed some success is brought in with the expectation that they will do the same with team number 2 or 3. The majority of the time, they may do OK, but usually, they can't measure up to their first stop. I know teams and fan want to point to that, and it si "safe" for a guy who has done it before, but mostly it just doesn't work out. Not always, but mostly.

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

In the interest of keeping it real and simple.

The team had no run defense, inadequate edge pressure, and shitty CB play, made worse when Asante went out.

Staley upgraded each of those areas with pro bowl players and depth.

#1 quality to achieve HC greatness is to recognize your weakest personnel and replace them with better talent.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
            In the interest of keeping it real and simple.

The team had no run defense, inadequate edge pressure, and shitty CB play, made worse when Asante went out.

Staley upgraded each of those areas with pro bowl players and depth.

#1 quality to achieve HC greatness is to recognize your weakest personnel and replace them with better talent.
            Some of that I think you can place the blame on Staley. We had many of the same issues in Bradley\s last season, yet he finished much higher ranked. So, that one falls on Staley. How much better would Gus's D been if we had a free agency haul like they did this season?

That being said, I am OK with it if he can get it fixed this season. He may have taken a step back, but Bradley's D never made the big step up. I think it was a decent scheme, but they could never find the pieces to make it work, and they didn't seem to have a plan to get out of their rut. IMHO, we got stuck in our cover 3 part, but never got the complimentary man coverage part going.

Staley runs a more complicated scheme, so time will tell. But sometimes you need to take a step back to go forward.

Ultimately, any coach who has sustained success is going to need to figure a way to develop players for whatever system they use. Bill Cowher struggled some on O, but he had sustained success using basically the same D that they still use today. They haven't been good every year, but Cowher and Tomlin have found ways to keep finding and developing players. The same with some of the other dynasty type of teams.

Even if they can't find any sustained success, if we have a couple of seasons in a row where we buy a championship and then have to rebuild, I am OK with that too. It's not like the Chargers have had an excessive amount of success in the championships in the past.

Comment

• Caslon
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Send PM

Face it. Staley isn’t a force of personality. Those days may be numbered. A wunderkind with a slide rule and ownership backing may be upon us. No one will complain if that leads to a SB appearance. Pieces of the puzzle were got big time, that’s for sure.
              Last edited by Caslon; 08-09-2022, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

I don't quite understand why being predictable about going for it on fourth down is going to give defenses the edge in figuring out the Lombardi offense. But this writer seems to think so, without really explaining why.

Could Brandon Staley’s aggressive fourth down philosophy end up being predictable?

It’s always great when a coach leans into ‘a thing’ that works — until it doesn’t

But at what point does it become predictable? Opposing defenses are also using analytics and looking for an edge against these modern offensive attacks. Staley’s Chargers went seven for seven on fourth downs to start the ‘21 season. They closed the year by converting eight of their last nine fourth downs.

Sure, it worked, but so did the wildcat offense for Miami — for a season— until the rest of the NFL figured it out. And that’s where sticking to your plan can come off as stubborn. Some coaches fail to adjust when teams figure them out or simply won’t. Teams didn’t know what to expect from Staley on offense his first year. This season will surely be different.
                I'm not following what point the writer is trying to make here. Knowing Staley is going for it on 4th down is not like figuring out Miami's wildcat offense. These two things aren't equatable.

With Staley’s gambler disposition, he could be on the hot seat after only two seasons if these Chargers can’t make the postseason. No coach ever wants to be on the hot seat but especially not when a name like Sean Payton is out there lurking.

Staley says the Chargers will lose on their terms. He could be looking for employment elsewhere if those terms don’t land the Chargers in the playoffs this year.
                Ok.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

If we went for it on fourth down and ran the same play every time, you could argue that is predictable. But using this logic, we are predictable on first, second and third down as well. If we execute, we convert on 4th down. If we don't execute, we don't convert. There is no predictability in there that is not present on any play call.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                    SLAM DUNK!
                    • Jun 2013
                    • East County San Diego
                    • Bolt fanatic
                    • Send PM

I am pretty down on Staley right now after this jags game getting blown out and being 1-2

he needs to get it turned around this season regardless of injuries or he needs to get canned
                    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                      SLAM DUNK!
                      • Jun 2013
                      • East County San Diego
                      • Bolt fanatic
                      • Send PM

Brandon Staley is 2-5 in his last 7 games, with 2 blowout losses to Texans and Jaguars. Has only beaten

the Drew Lock-led Broncos

and a squeaker over Raiders where the team almost blew a 24-10 lead. Tied for worst record in the NFL during this stretch (ATL, NYJ, WAS).
                      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        There are plenty of examples where a vet coach who has enjoyed some success is brought in with the expectation that they will do the same with team number 2 or 3. The majority of the time, they may do OK, but usually, they can't measure up to their first stop. I know teams and fan want to point to that, and it si "safe" for a guy who has done it before, but mostly it just doesn't work out. Not always, but mostly.
                        The only, and I mean only, times the Chargers have been successful is when they hired a HC who was previously successful as a HC.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                          Brandon Staley is 2-5 in his last 7 games, with 2 blowout losses to Texans and Jaguars. Has only beaten

the Drew Lock-led Broncos

and a squeaker over Raiders where the team almost blew a 24-10 lead. Tied for worst record in the NFL during this stretch (ATL, NYJ, WAS).
                          That’s telling. The guy is in over his head.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍