• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riverwalk
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Speaking of rookies. I can’t get over the fact that Jamaree Salyer was a 6 round pick. Many talked about him going in the 2nd and he was a stud at tackle and guard in college going up against better talent than our first rounder faced.

If you’ve seen his interviews he’s smart, articulate, and motivated. I guess he’s boxed out of starting but I’ll be excited to see him come off the bench if needed this season.

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
      Speaking of rookies. I can’t get over the fact that Jamaree Salyer was a 6 round pick. Many talked about him going in the 2nd and he was a stud at tackle and guard in college going up against better talent than our first rounder faced.

If you’ve seen his interviews he’s smart, articulate, and motivated. I guess he’s boxed out of starting but I’ll be excited to see him come off the bench if needed this season.
      I'm with you, he looks very promising. He looks good as a run or pass blocker. He may be the "find" of this draft.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Avoid injury bug and dreams can come true :cheers:
        I definitely like how Staley kept the starters in the garage for almost the entire preseason last summer. Let's see a repeat of that move.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

O-line depth looks vastly improved. Zion is a huge upgrade over Schofield, and Salyer figures to be a huge upgrade over Storm Norton. The two weakest links have been upgraded to far stronger links.
          Last edited by Ghost of Quacksaw; 07-19-2022, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
            I watched four guys on NFL network discuss who they thought would have the number one defense in the AFC this year - two of the said the Bills, and the other two picked the Chargers.

It made me feel happy for a moment at the thought of what this team could do if the defense turned out to be that good because we all know we have a very good offense. However, I don't expect them to bounce all the way up to the top - fun to dream though.
            I expect a top 10 scoring D, would disappointed if we aren't higher in some categories and would not rule out being #1 scoring D.
            Staley's TEAM concepts may push us in that direction.
            That's me imagining that Coach knows what he's doing. Let's get rolling!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I'm with you, he looks very promising. He looks good as a run or pass blocker. He may be the "find" of this draft.
              I haven’t seen him take a snap in an NFL uniform. I read this exact same hype about Jaimes last year. I’m betting on Pip
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I haven’t seen him take a snap in an NFL uniform. I read this exact same hype about Jaimes last year. I’m betting on Pip
                Starting for the Nat'l Champs should get Salyer a few points. Both are development prospects, Salyer is mire developed to start.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Starting for the Nat'l Champs should get Salyer a few points. Both are development prospects, Salyer is mire developed to start.
                  He isn’t the reason they are champs. Their defense is the reason they are champs.

I am not saying he’s horrible, but he looked stiff and stilted in the tape I saw. No way he was ready for NFL grade edge rushers. Looks like he needs a lot of work to me. There’s a long list of great Bama teams with shitty LT’s that flamed out in the pros. heck, we drafted one of them, ended up as a decent (average) RG after 6 or so years of development.

As to the 2nd round grade, i read every pre-draft post here, we had like 4 different threads that were “different topics” but all in fact were just draft threads. No one mentioned Salyer before the draft that I saw, did I miss it. He was never considered as a possible 3rd rd pick when the smart guys were going thru all of the possible tackle prospects that might still be available if we didnt pick OL in Rd1. it wasn’t because they thought he’d already be taken. Nobody here was grading him day2. He wasn’t even mentioned as a 4th or 5th rd pick here that I saw, certainly not enough times so I’d notice. So now we got a R2 prospect in the 6th? I personally don’t think so.

I hope he turns out great. I expect nothing in 2022, maybe he’s on the 53, maybe he’s on PS. I expect Pip to start. He’s put in the work, he’s been in the system, he’s learned about playing against elite pros.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

He isn’t the reason they are champs. Their defense is the reason they are champs.

I am not saying he’s horrible, but he looked stiff and stilted in the tape I saw. No way he was ready for NFL grade edge rushers. Looks like he needs a lot of work to me. There’s a long list of great Bama teams with shitty LT’s that flamed out in the pros. heck, we drafted one of them, ended up as a decent (average) RG after 6 or so years of development.

As to the 2nd round grade, i read every pre-draft post here, we had like 4 different threads that were “different topics” but all in fact were just draft threads. No one mentioned Salyer before the draft that I saw, did I miss it. He was never considered as a possible 3rd rd pick when the smart guys were going thru all of the possible tackle prospects that might still be available if we didnt pick OL in Rd1. it wasn’t because they thought he’d already be taken. Nobody here was grading him day2. He wasn’t even mentioned as a 4th or 5th rd pick here that I saw, certainly not enough times so I’d notice. So now we got a R2 prospect in the 6th? I personally don’t think so.

I hope he turns out great. I expect nothing in 2022, maybe he’s on the 53, maybe he’s on PS. I expect Pip to start. He’s put in the work, he’s been in the system, he’s learned about playing against elite pros.
                    He got a couple mentions. Most here were not looking IOL in round 3. I think wu maybe?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

So, i guess no reports from Day1. Here’s to Day2!

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

He got a couple mentions. Most here were not looking IOL in round 3. I think wu maybe?
                        It's only one point of reference, but here's Walter Football's pre-draft assessment of Salyer. Had him rated as a possible Day 2 pick, and the fifth guard, overall, behind Kenyon Green, Zion, Luke Goedeke and Ed Ingram.

5. Jamaree Salyer, G, Georgia
                        Height: 6-3. Weight: 320. Arm: 33.63. Hand: 10.
                        Projected 40 Time: 5.50.
                        Projected Round (2022): 2-4

View Ranking History

4/26/22: Salyer was the starting left tackle for the Bulldogs in 2021, and he played well. He also played some right guard. Playing guard could be his best fit in the NFL due to his height and lack of length. That was given more proof with some struggles against Alabama in the SEC Championship, but Salyer rebounded and played better in the National Championship. He was solid, but unimpressive, at the Senior Bowl.

7/3/21: Before 2020, Salyer was buried on the depth chart. After Andrew Thomas, Isaiah Wilson, and Solomon Kindley moved on to the NFL, Salyer was able to break into the starting lineup. Salyer played left tackle for nine games before moving to left guard at the end of the year. For the NFL, he projects to the inside of the line as he lacks length. Salyer is a strong and thick blocker that can get after defenders in the ground game. Conditioning has been a problem for some recent Georgia offensive linemen like Kindley and Trey Hill, so Salyer will need to avoid falling into that trap as a senior.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Salyer was discussed, but focus was 1st rd. Zion/Kenyon Green. No 2nd. Other positions, DB/RB 3rd/4th. I would have been fine selecting him in the 4th. Definitely higher grade than Otito, but since we got both and addressed trenches, awesome.

Comment

Working...
                          X