• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Not ready for NFL grade rushers? How did he perform against Hutchinson, Ojabo, and Anderson in the CFP? I’m not saying he’s a day one starter at OT in the NFL, but if I remember right he gave up 2-3 total pressures going against the top pass rusher from this draft and next years draft in the 2 biggest games of the year.

I also don’t see how our lack of conversation about a guy have to do with his actual value per the draft? There were 194 guys selected before Salyer, many of whom we also never discussed. Most of us find our 20ish or so favorite prospects and then die on those hills.

Realistically Salyer is a prospect that has a higher floor than your normal 6th round pick but a somewhat limited ceiling due to athletic limitations. If he could develop into an average starter quality OG then it was a great pick. All I really know is that I’d much rather have Salyer for a 6th round pick than draft Cole Strange with a 1st.
    Well said. Several sports writers thought he was a great value pick where we got him. The more I learned about him , the more I agree.

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

He isn’t the reason they are champs. Their defense is the reason they are champs.

I am not saying he’s horrible, but he looked stiff and stilted in the tape I saw. No way he was ready for NFL grade edge rushers. Looks like he needs a lot of work to me. There’s a long list of great Bama teams with shitty LT’s that flamed out in the pros. heck, we drafted one of them, ended up as a decent (average) RG after 6 or so years of development.

As to the 2nd round grade, i read every pre-draft post here, we had like 4 different threads that were “different topics” but all in fact were just draft threads. No one mentioned Salyer before the draft that I saw, did I miss it. He was never considered as a possible 3rd rd pick when the smart guys were going thru all of the possible tackle prospects that might still be available if we didnt pick OL in Rd1. it wasn’t because they thought he’d already be taken. Nobody here was grading him day2. He wasn’t even mentioned as a 4th or 5th rd pick here that I saw, certainly not enough times so I’d notice. So now we got a R2 prospect in the 6th? I personally don’t think so.

I hope he turns out great. I expect nothing in 2022, maybe he’s on the 53, maybe he’s on PS. I expect Pip to start. He’s put in the work, he’s been in the system, he’s learned about playing against elite pros.
      They didn’t draft Salyer for T, he’s a G. Salyer said so himself in post draft interviews.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Realistically Salyer is a prospect that has a higher floor than your normal 6th round pick but a somewhat limited ceiling due to athletic limitations. If he could develop into an average starter quality OG then it was a great pick.
        His shortness ("lack of length" seems to be the current term) and lack of quickness seem to have convinced personnel departments that Salyer is not a realistic candidate at tackle. I suspect that dropped him into Day 3 of the draft. But as you say, if he becomes an average starter he'll be a bargain, and I think it's not unrealistic to think it can happen, in time.. .
        Last edited by Ghost of Quacksaw; 07-20-2022, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• equivocation
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2021
          • Send PM

Maybe nobody showed up? This is a bad sign … oh dear … oh my …
          There would only be news if someone DIDNT show up.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

His shortness ("lack of length" seems to be the current term) and lack of quickness seem to have convinced personnel departments that Salyer is not a realistic candidate at tackle. I suspect that dropped him into Day 3 of the draft. But as you say, if he becomes an average starter he'll be a bargain, and I think it's not realistic to think it can happen, in time.. .
            I suspect that you meant UNrealistic.

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

He’s mentioned in 3 posts prior to draft. One in December, the other two in March. He wasn’t the focus of any of them, but a one of many side note type of mention. One did suggest 2nd or 3rd round, but the others are suggesting a late round bench addition. No real follow on discussion to notice about Salyer on any of the three.

So we’re both correct - yes there we’re a couple mentions but no, this forum was not really discussing Salyer. There were a LOT of OL candidates discussed at considerable detail - he wasn’t one of them.

I hope he’s great. He’s a big boy and played big league NCAA football. Thats a good starting point.
              I don't go into great depth like some people here and I knew who he was and his general scouting report. Maybe I saw it on Chargers twitter though.

This board was VERY much looking at OT propsects forst and foremost. Some were looking at IOL round 1. Almost no one was looking at IOL round 3.

Regardless, OL take time to develop and drafting guys like Jaimes and Salyer in a late rounds every year means having good OL depth. Depth is good.

For "weak link" units (OL, DB) I support taking a quantity approach. Draft CB and OL every single year.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I suspect that you meant UNrealistic.
                Correct. Will edit.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                  Fluent in Sarcasm
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Iowa
                  • Man of the People
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

His shortness ("lack of length" seems to be the current term) and lack of quickness seem to have convinced personnel departments that Salyer is not a realistic candidate at tackle. I suspect that dropped him into Day 3 of the draft. But as you say, if he becomes an average starter he'll be a bargain, and I think it's not unrealistic to think it can happen, in time.. .
                  Yeah the destined move inside definitely dropped him some but there was also some talk about an injury or health concern that also contributed to him dropping. I don’t remember ever hearing details but if there’s some sort of degenerative condition that would also explain the big drop compared to pre-draft predictions.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • New Jersey
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                    And Gilberto and Fernando are covering other teams now.

Oh no, you're right! (of course). I knew Fermando had moved on, but didn't realized that Manzano has been assigned to the Rams. We'll have to find out who the new Chargers beat writers are. Gavino Borquez still covers the Chargers for USA Today, but from Phoenix.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Not ready for NFL grade rushers? How did he perform against Hutchinson, Ojabo, and Anderson in the CFP? I’m not saying he’s a day one starter at OT in the NFL, but if I remember right he gave up 2-3 total pressures going against the top pass rusher from this draft and next years draft in the 2 biggest games of the year.

I also don’t see how our lack of conversation about a guy have to do with his actual value per the draft? There were 194 guys selected before Salyer, many of whom we also never discussed. Most of us find our 20ish or so favorite prospects and then die on those hills.

Realistically Salyer is a prospect that has a higher floor than your normal 6th round pick but a somewhat limited ceiling due to athletic limitations. If he could develop into an average starter quality OG then it was a great pick. All I really know is that I’d much rather have Salyer for a 6th round pick than draft Cole Strange with a 1st.
                      I’ll be elated if you’re right. I thought he saw last year’s best rushers during team practice? Hutchinson did nothing against him, fair enough. I didnt pay attention to how UGA schemed him overall though, was he beating him 1x1 all day? If so, thats good stuff.

Hey - its not like I cut him or said he was crap, only that I don’t think he’s NFL ready starter on day 1. Just an opinion. if a 6th rd pick develops into even a backup, its a good pick. I’m not knocking the pick at all, just the hype that he’s contesting for starting RT. I just doubt it but hey, if he’s best then hot damn thats awesome.

lack of conversation is merely me saying that he wasn’t a consensus Rd2 draft pick around here because nobody was talking about taking him in Rd2. One post that had 2 or 3 other players mentioned in the same post over 4 months of endless draft profile reviews and projections does not constitute Rd 2 consensus talk. He also was apparently not a consensus #2 in NFL boards. Consensus Rd2 OTs do not last until Rd6, we all know that.

Not sure why I’m ruffling feathers on this one … no offense
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Guessing he’s one of those traits don’t tick the boxes but plays fine at an NFL level, cuz football player.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                          Fluent in Sarcasm
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Iowa
                          • Man of the People
                          • Send PM

I’ll be elated if you’re right. I thought he saw last year’s best rushers during team practice? Hutchinson did nothing against him, fair enough. I didnt pay attention to how UGA schemed him overall though, was he beating him 1x1 all day? If so, thats good stuff.

Hey - its not like I cut him or said he was crap, only that I don’t think he’s NFL ready starter on day 1. Just an opinion. if a 6th rd pick develops into even a backup, its a good pick. I’m not knocking the pick at all, just the hype that he’s contesting for starting RT. I just doubt it but hey, if he’s best then hot damn thats awesome.

lack of conversation is merely me saying that he wasn’t a consensus Rd2 draft pick around here because nobody was talking about taking him in Rd2. One post that had 2 or 3 other players mentioned in the same post over 4 months of endless draft profile reviews and projections does not constitute Rd 2 consensus talk. He also was apparently not a consensus #2 in NFL boards. Consensus Rd2 OTs do not last until Rd6, we all know that.

Not sure why I’m ruffling feathers on this one … no offense
                          Largely 1v1 with Hutchinson early on before they moved Hutchinson to the other side and he was handling Ojabo the rest of the game. Gave up 1 pressure to Anderson in the title game but he also moved to RG during the game due to injury.

I’m with you in regards to all the RT hype. The team has said repeatedly and consistently that it’s a battle between Storm and Trey and that Salyer is moving inside. I have no idea where the Salyer @ RT talk is coming from other than wishful thinking.

No ruffled feathers here just ready for some actual football content for us all to talk about!

Comment

Working...
                          X