• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

Oh no, you're right! (of course). I knew Fermando had moved on, but didn't realized that Manzano has been assigned to the Rams. We'll have to find out who the new Chargers beat writers are. Gavino Borquez still covers the Chargers for USA Today, but from Phoenix.
    Lindsay Thiry is the new ESPN Chargers writer. Shelley Smith was it last year but maybe Thiry will produce a bit more output like Eric Williams used to do. Still not sure why ESPN would have let Williams go - unless his choice - he was very good. I just see other ESPN "beat" reporters like Courtney Cronin when she was with the Vikings, Jenna Laine with Tampa, Josh Weinfuss in AZ, Cimini with Jets, Reiss with Patriots, Hensley with the Ravens -- they produce a lot more stuff than Smith did

Popper does a good job for the Athletic

Comment

• Heatmiser
      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Popper is very good. Shelley was terrible. Just regurgitated well worn things and often got parts wrong. I admire her resilience and journey with her health, but not a good sports writer right now.I agree Eric Williams was good.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
        Popper is very good. Shelley was terrible. Just regurgitated well worn things and often got parts wrong. I admire her resilience and journey with her health, but not a good sports writer right now.I agree Eric Williams was good.

TG
        Agree about Shelley Smith. Just not a good beat writer. She is more a features person I think. Beat writer is day to day, digging in, traveling, etc

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Good to see you B4K! Feels like you have been quiet? Or is it just me? I am getting old

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
            Guessing he’s one of those traits don’t tick the boxes but plays fine at an NFL level, cuz football player.
            I think it's pretty well established that he has the athletic ability and mental fortitude to succeed. You've faced tons of quality competition if you played in the SEC, not to mention the National Champions. It's a question of whether his limitations can be masked at Guard. He lacks the elite quickness that separates the men from the boys at tackle, and his height is not ideal for tackle. The tools he *does* possess look very well suited to guard, and I guess we're about to find out just HOW well.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Lindsay Thiry is the new ESPN Chargers writer. Shelley Smith was it last year but maybe Thiry will produce a bit more output like Eric Williams used to do. Still not sure why ESPN would have let Williams go - unless his choice - he was very good. I just see other ESPN "beat" reporters like Courtney Cronin when she was with the Vikings, Jenna Laine with Tampa, Josh Weinfuss in AZ, Cimini with Jets, Reiss with Patriots, Hensley with the Ravens -- they produce a lot more stuff than Smith did

Popper does a good job for the Athletic
              Shelley Smith is a Rams fan. She never has much good to say about the Chargers. Even when they did well and Herbert was lighting it up she was like - meh.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Not one snippet about even one scrub running a single drill in two days. I hope it picks up soon …
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I think it's pretty well established that he has the athletic ability and mental fortitude to succeed. You've faced tons of quality competition if you played in the SEC, not to mention the National Champions. It's a question of whether his limitations can be masked at Guard. He lacks the elite quickness that separates the men from the boys at tackle, and his height is not ideal for tackle. The tools he *does* possess look very well suited to guard, and I guess we're about to find out just HOW well.
                  Sounds a lot like a quality RT to me.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                    Not one snippet about even one scrub running a single drill in two days. I hope it picks up soon …
                    It was announced a while back, vets report 7/ 27, pads go on 8/1, intrasquad exhibitions 8/ 7.
                    Just guessing that rookies are currently doing conditioning and getting oriented with what is expected from them when training in pads with the full roster.
                    So far? Pictures. https://www.chargers.com/photos/rook...-for-camp-2022
                    No way that we won't get some news leaking out soon. Lots coming after full training camp gets going.

Comment

• Tol
                      From Accounting
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Carlsbad
                      • Send PM

Stone Smartt hurt his leg???

That sucks. I heard he was making a lot of plays in the 7 on 7's.

Non-football related injury is what the searches are saying.

ckgd4o9kwzg1ok2fmihy.jpg

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

It was announced a while back, vets report 7/ 27, pads go on 8/1, intrasquad exhibitions 8/ 7.
                        Just guessing that rookies are currently doing conditioning and getting oriented with what is expected from them when training in pads with the full roster.
                        So far? Pictures. https://www.chargers.com/photos/rook...-for-camp-2022
                        No way that we won't get some news leaking out soon. Lots coming after full training camp gets going.
                        Picture 3, JT Woods. Where’s the rest of him? Skinny and weak aren’t the twin qualities of a good football player.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Sounds a lot like a quality RT to me.
                          The point was, Salyer's limitations (height, elite agility, quickness) very likely CAN'T be masked at tackle in the NFL, but it's entirely possible that those same 'limitations' won't limit his ability to be effective at guard. So personally, I think there's ZERO chance we him at RT. The good news is that it's realistic to think that he can be a significant upgrade over some of the O-linemen who graced the roster in 2021.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍