Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    The one and only issue with James is his durability. He is a phenomenal talent, coaches love him, his teammates love him and (most) fans love him. He wants to get paid and the team wants to protect itself so things take more time than impatient fans want, but in the end it will get done. The Chargers love to extend their own known draft picks and Derwin is next.
    I get the impression that you feel I'm one of those fans that doesn't like James; and, also, that I'm an "impatient" fan. So let me set the record straight.

I am impatient, generally, so I guess that one fits. But I don't think "impatience" is the right word in this situation. It's frustration. I like James, the player and the person, a lot. But he's under contract; there should be no reason that the fans should have to wait for, or be impatient about, anything. He should be playing/practicing. Period. If he wants an extension, fine. Have your agent work on an extension while you're playing under your current contract. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

I get it's a business. I get that guys have to look out for their own best interests...fans be damned. If he's concerned that he might get injured in pre-season and screw up his chances for a big extension, well, what's the point of a contract if a player - any player - feels it's too big a risk to be on the field and he's just gonna sit out/in until said contract gets done? They can hold him out of the PS games as a courtesy, I guess, to help ease his concerns (if that's even what he's mostly concerned about; we really don't know).

Comment

• kgbpasha
      #болтап
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I get the impression that you feel I'm one of those fans that doesn't like James; and, also, that I'm an "impatient" fan. So let me set the record straight.

I am impatient, generally, so I guess that one fits. But I don't think "impatience" is the right word in this situation. It's frustration. I like James, the player and the person, a lot. But he's under contract; there should be no reason that the fans should have to wait for, or be impatient about, anything. He should be playing/practicing. Period. If he wants an extension, fine. Have your agent work on an extension while you're playing under your current contract. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

I get it's a business. I get that guys have to look out for their own best interests...fans be damned. If he's concerned that he might get injured in pre-season and screw up his chances for a big extension, well, what's the point of a contract if a player - any player - feels it's too big a risk to be on the field and he's just gonna sit out/in until said contract gets done? They can hold him out of the PS games as a courtesy, I guess, to help ease his concerns (if that's even what he's mostly concerned about; we really don't know).
      You say you get it.....but then proceed to not actually get it. #weird

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by kgbpasha View Post

You say you get it.....but then proceed to not actually get it. #weird
        Never mind. Maybe I don't get it. He'll be signed when he's signed. Unless he isn't. Then it will be up to the coaches to come up with a scheme that fits the players who are actually suited up.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

I'm with Q, you signed a contract young man - get to work!

It could be worse -
          If AJ was still our GM, James would be getting fined for every day he held out. He'd be getting angry and asking for a trade, etc.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

It could be worse -
            If AJ was still our GM, James would be getting fined for every day he held out. He'd be getting angry and asking for a trade, etc.
            Thanks, Roo. And you have a point: All parties seem to want to get this done, so I guess I'll just cool my jets until then.

Comment

• Xenos
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

It's not James, per se. It's just that I think a guy should be playing if he's under contract. I mean, how is this any different than Herbert - who has accomplished a hell of a lot more than James in his short career - "holding in" to get an early contract extension? What's preventing ANY player from doing that?

I get what RPTBolt is saying (in a post, above) about James having to look out for #1. But if he's such a Team First guy, as a number of posters have said/implied, then I feel he should be playing under his current contract while at the same time having his agent work with Telesco on an extension. It's not an either/or, IMO.
              Herbert can’t hold out or in yet since this is only his third year. This is DJ’s 5th year on the other hand and the last year of his rookie contract. He’s been a team player since and in many ways still is. This is really the best case scenario for DJ since he’s still there to support the team but also doesn’t risk an injury during practice that may affect the important second contract. Look what happened to Ryan Jensen. As for what’s preventing other players from doing it, absolutely nothing. However, you better be damn good if you want to get away with it. Think Aaron Donald back in 2018. Now imagine if someone like Tillery tried to do that.

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Popper’s take:

Derwin James Jr. missed his 12th straight practice as his contract hold-in continues. This has dragged on longer than the Chargers expected or hoped. But it is not time to panic. I still expect the extension to get done before Labor Day.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

:wtfrudoing:

You make good valid points. They can call it “holding in” so we all think it’s hunky dory but the other guys are out there working and he’s not. Being a cheerleader and coach to the young guys is great. We’ve seen her m do that in the multiple games he’s missed in his young career. He’s got that down.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                    Popper’s take:
                    Like I said before in this thread the shit is dragging. He’s got the young hot shot agent that wants every deal he does to set precedent.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

It could be worse -
                      1000%. If AJ was the GM we’d be seeing goodbye posts from Derwin

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

I consider myself one of those impatient fans - lol. If I was under contract, I'd report and let the negotiations happen in the background. But in the continual pissing contest that agents engage in to woo clients, I'm sure he is being advised to sit out to squeeze every penny he can get. I get that take, given that a career can end on any play, especially with his injury history. But the guy is in shape, knows the D and as someone else pointed out, it is given the younger DBs valuable snaps while this is going on. If it is not resolved within a week or so of the start of the season I'll get concerned. But not yet.

Comment

• Xenos
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I consider myself one of those impatient fans - lol. If I was under contract, I'd report and let the negotiations happen in the background. But in the continual pissing contest that agents engage in to woo clients, I'm sure he is being advised to sit out to squeeze every penny he can get. I get that take, given that a career can end on any play, especially with his injury history. But the guy is in shape, knows the D and as someone else pointed out, it is given the younger DBs valuable snaps while this is going on. If it is not resolved within a week or so of the start of the season I'll get concerned. But not yet.
                          It helps that he has not being a distraction like other past negotiations have been.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍